New into electric guitar. Been practicing some rock songs with a few guys. I currently have a Washburn, Les Paul style guitar and this Marshall 15 watts amp. Last week, picked up a Line 6 POD 2.0 from a local seller so I can add some effects but after that, realized it's not ready for live gigs.

What I'm looking for is some different tones to add diversity. Some of the songs we're playing requires tone changes and effects. To be honest, I don't even know what they use. i.e. this song -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0miYvn_jfn0 (I think he uses tremolo a lot but my guitar don't have one)

I can't spend a lot of money to buy different stomp boxes and effects so I decided to buy a multi effect type box but not sure it's the right direction. There's another local seller who's selling a Boss ME-33. After watching some youtube videos on that item, it seems good and maybe a good place to start?

I would greatly appreciate some help and advice with this.

Thanks.
what marshall amp is it?

sounds like some modulation (chorus?) and some echo/delay on the clean intro to that vid you posted.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what marshall amp is it?

sounds like some modulation (chorus?) and some echo/delay on the clean intro to that vid you posted.

I have a Marshall mg15dfx. very basic amp with a few built in effects. When we do a gig, I'll have to connect the guitar to the mixer direct and not to a guitar amp. If I buy any pedals/effects, that'll have to go in between.

If you listen to the song at 1:05 - 1:16. towards the end, there are some screams(not sure what it's called) as well. Is it done using a tremolo? the short lick at 3:35-3:50, sounds like 2 guitars playing. what effect is that? Most chords/riffing uses distortion?
Last edited by eclipseG at Feb 29, 2016,
Try out a Zoom G3. Lots of flexibility and easily customized - especially when using Zoom's companion "Edit & Share" software.
Quote by eclipseG
I have a Marshall mg15dfx. very basic amp with a few built in effects. When we do a gig, I'll have to connect the guitar to the mixer direct and not to a guitar amp. If I buy any pedals/effects, that'll have to go in between.

If you listen to the song at 1:05 - 1:16. towards the end, there are some screams(not sure what it's called) as well. Is it done using a tremolo? the short lick at 3:35-3:50, sounds like 2 guitars playing. what effect is that? Most chords/riffing uses distortion?

Here's what I hear:

Chorus
Overdrive

And yes that's a dive bomb with a vibrato arm (whammy bar)
Quote by Marsden
Try out a Zoom G3. Lots of flexibility and easily customized - especially when using Zoom's companion "Edit & Share" software.

How's the Boss ME-33 ?
Quote by badfish_lewis
Here's what I hear:

Chorus
Overdrive

And yes that's a dive bomb with a vibrato arm (whammy bar)

so can I get such tones using the Boss ME-33 or the Zoom G3?
I would put the money into a new amp. The MG is not a good platform or good amp in general.

If you absolutely need a better-quality unit than the POD and still cheap, Zoom G3X, although I am not sure how much better the sound quality will be. The G3X will be much easier to learn and use live, though.
+1 go for a new amp first, then go from there. your amp is not doing you any favors, and you may not even realize how bad it sounds to trained ears.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks a lot for all your valuable input. So, I need to get a few things cleared.
Most of you suggested a good amp. Now will I be using this amp in a live situation? If I do, am I just using the features/effects of the amp and not the amplification power of the unit and running an output to the PA system? The MG is just a practice amp that I use but in the live situation, I was planning to run my guitar to the ME-33, then to the mixer.

I went ahead and picked up the ME-33 yesterday. Tried it a little last night but the sound isn't clean. Probably needs to be configured?

Recommendations for a good amp? I guess I have a LOT to learn!
^What is your budget for an amp? With no other information I would suggest a Valveking or a Jet City unit.

If your amp is loud enough (generally 30w can keep up with a drummer) you will not have to use the venue's PA system, depending on the size. You can always mic the amp as well.

Use the ME-33 in the effects loop of whatever amp you get.
Hi Will,
Thanks for your comment. Budget is small. So you suggest a tube amp? How's this "Laney LH50R" I found a local seller with this one. So generally, guitarists use their own amp and don't plugin to the PA system? I was wondering how the mixing levels would be matched and controlled. Adding a mic isn't a bad idea. If I add the ME-33 in between the guitar and amp will it degrade the sound?

Thanks again.

Quote by Will Lane
^What is your budget for an amp? With no other information I would suggest a Valveking or a Jet City unit.

If your amp is loud enough (generally 30w can keep up with a drummer) you will not have to use the venue's PA system, depending on the size. You can always mic the amp as well.

Use the ME-33 in the effects loop of whatever amp you get.
Laney amps are pretty popular but I do not know about that model in particular. With that one though you will need a proper matched extension speaker cabinet. You may just want to look for a "combo amp", which is the head (like that Laney) plus the speaker cabinet in one unit.

Guitarists traditionally plug into amps and either turn it up loud enough to match the venue or they mic the speaker cabinet and send that signal to a PA. You can use pedalboards/multi-effects units like the POD HD500 and send a signal to the PA that way. But I do not think your ME-33 will be able to give you a nice sound on its own.

For the budget, between the price of that Laney head and the cabinet you will need to get to go with it, that will probably end up being more expensive than what you need, especially if you consider your budget "small." That is why I suggested a Valveking or a Jet City model. They are both fairly cheap if you find them used and both have 50 watt models which is plenty volume for practicing and you can always mic up the amp too.

Use the ME-33 in the effects loop of the amp for delays and reverbs and other such effects. Running effects in front of a physical amp, like if you were to just go guitar > ME-33 > amp, can overdrive the preamp and you will not get a good sound. The effects loop is cleaner, you could say.
Was not aware of the term effects loop. is there a simplified diagram to show how my setup would be like? Since I currently have POD 2.0 and ME-33 and the pod doesn't have a foot switch, I'm leaning towards using the ME-33 until I buy myself a G3X.
So with and without the amp scenario, how should I connect the guitar to the mixer? we have a small gig coming up in a week. I'm not sure if I can obtain an amp right away and if I don't, how would you recommend the setup?

Quote by Will Lane
Laney amps are pretty popular but I do not know about that model in particular. With that one though you will need a proper matched extension speaker cabinet. You may just want to look for a "combo amp", which is the head (like that Laney) plus the speaker cabinet in one unit.

Guitarists traditionally plug into amps and either turn it up loud enough to match the venue or they mic the speaker cabinet and send that signal to a PA. You can use pedalboards/multi-effects units like the POD HD500 and send a signal to the PA that way. But I do not think your ME-33 will be able to give you a nice sound on its own.

For the budget, between the price of that Laney head and the cabinet you will need to get to go with it, that will probably end up being more expensive than what you need, especially if you consider your budget "small." That is why I suggested a Valveking or a Jet City model. They are both fairly cheap if you find them used and both have 50 watt models which is plenty volume for practicing and you can always mic up the amp too.

Use the ME-33 in the effects loop of the amp for delays and reverbs and other such effects. Running effects in front of a physical amp, like if you were to just go guitar > ME-33 > amp, can overdrive the preamp and you will not get a good sound. The effects loop is cleaner, you could say.
The Laney got sold for $152! Got very frustrated.
http://bid.auctionbymayo.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/11478/lot/1501692/result/Your%20question%20has%20been%20submitted.%20You%20will%20hear%20from%20us%20shortly!

I tried to bid but ran into a system error 10 seconds before the auction closed. What I read online, seemed like an amazing amp. Anyhow, I had to vent. I'll keep looking for another amp.
so in the meantime, hooking up the guitar to the ME-33, then directly to the mixer is a bad idea or not?

Thanks.
^$152? That does not sound right even for a bid.

You can use the ME-33 direct to mixer but I do not think your tone will be all that great. But if you spend some time tweaking it I am sure you can find something useful.
If you are just getting started playing with others why not work with what you have. I have never used the Line 6 Pod but looking at the overall list of effects it seems to have every type of effect you could need. Sit down for a few hours with the manual and learn to program it. You should be OK to get up and running with what you have. The BOSS ME-33 is nice ( I own an ME-30 and an ME-50, and a Digitech RP 250) but all of these pedals have similar effects to what's in your POD. I personally think the BOSS ME series are better as a live multi effects because they have an expression pedal and banks of footswitches to make changes faster in a live situation but sound wise it's not much different than a POD.

I don't know about the POD but the pre-set sounds in the BOSS pedals are awful so you'll have to create your own and isn't that what you wanted to begin with. It's really all about spending time learning to program them and creating the sounds you want to use. You can buy new pedals one after another and if you don't take the time (lots of time) to learn how to program them, your wasting your money.

My personal suggestion is to work with what you have while you are just getting things together and buy a new amp when the need arises (like a paying gig or important live performance) and you need a bigger amp.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 2, 2016,
Thanks for your response again. I am learning how to program the ME-33 and been reading through the manual as you suggested. I'm just trying to figure out the connectivity part here and wanted to get the optimal setup/sound. Not knowing how these things interconnect in a live gig, I just don't wanna head to a disaster.

Quote by Rickholly74
If you are just getting started playing with others why not work with what you have. I have never used the Line 6 Pod but looking at the overall list of effects it seems to have every type of effect you could need. Sit down for a few hours with the manual and learn to program it. You should be OK to get up and running with what you have. The BOSS ME-33 is nice ( I own an ME-30 and an ME-50, and a Digitech RP 250) but all of these pedals have similar effects to what's in your POD. I personally think the BOSS ME series are better as a live multi effects because they have an expression pedal and banks of footswitches to make changes faster in a live situation but sound wise it's not much different than a POD.

I don't know about the POD but the pre-set sounds in the BOSS pedals are awful so you'll have to create your own and isn't that what you wanted to begin with. It's really all about spending time learning to program them and creating the sounds you want to use. You can buy new pedals one after another and if you don't take the time (lots of time) to learn how to program them, your wasting your money.

My personal suggestion is to work with what you have while you are just getting things together and buy a new amp when the need arises (like a paying gig or important live performance) and you need a bigger amp.
I'm not sure what you mean by "connectivity part". What do mean by "how things interconnect on a live gig". Maybe I can help just not sure what you are referring to.
Guitar to ME-33 to mixer.
no amp in the chain.

Quote by Rickholly74
I'm not sure what you mean by "connectivity part". What do mean by "how things interconnect on a live gig". Maybe I can help just not sure what you are referring to.
If that's what you want you can definitely do it. A lot will depend on how good your monitors are because remember that will be your only source to hear what you are doing. I had a "house band" job at a small place that didn't have much room for a full band set up so we choose to go with no amps and put everything through the mixer into the PA. We used small personal powered monitors on mic stands for each player. The problem we encountered was no one was ever happy with the overall balance. Still we had no choice. That was when I bought my BOSS ME-30 to go direct to the PA. It did work well. We had a three piece band bass, drums, guitar with all three of us singing. The vocals and harmonies were our main attraction. We were crammed into a small corner of the room/bar. Our Mackie mixer could only offer one monitor output mix so the bass player and I couldn't always hear ourselves properly and the drummer said that's all he could hear. We struggled through it though because this gig was a solid three nights a week (Thursday Friday and Sunday afternoon) and we stayed there almost three years. I'm just bringing up the idea that you might want to consider using a very small amp (set super clean) to hear the ME-33 or use a personal monitor to hear your ME-33 before going to the PA. It all depends on your PA system, your monitors, the musicians you are playing with and what type of music you play. It is do-able.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 2, 2016,
Rick,
That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. we have a Mackie 12 channel mixer with 1 monitor output. Plan on running that to another small amp, then to 2 stage monitors (daisy chain or L and R). We have 3 members, Bass, guitar, vocal+guitar. we'll be connecting a laptop to do the drums track.

pls let me know if we change things, what we should consider.

When you said,
Quote by Rickholly74

might want to consider using a very small amp (set super clean) to hear the ME-33 or use a personal monitor to hear your ME-33 before going to the PA.

I'm not sure how I would connect it though! In either case, are you suggesting I use the headphone port? pls clarify.
Would you guys recommend a Line 6 spider II stereo amplifier head 150 watts? Found it at a local pawn shop for $100.
Quote by eclipseG
Would you guys recommend a Line 6 spider II stereo amplifier head 150 watts? Found it at a local pawn shop for $100.

i wouldn't. tell them to toss it in the trash can. its better in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If the small amp you are planning on using has a "line" out you can send the ME-33 to the amp then line out to the mixer. What I do now is I go from my multi effects to my amp (VOX VT30) and mic it with a really handy little amp mic holder (AmpClamp) and go to the PA. I use a lot of midi tracks (have been doing using them for more than 20 years) so the laptop thing is part of my system as well.
Attachments:
ampclamp1.jpg
ampclamp 3.jpg
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 9, 2016,
In the mean time, I would dig through that POD 2.0's manual, and learn what everything does. Learn the amps it tries to emulate, learn what the parameters in each effect do, and learn how it all affects your sound. Research is free, and there are tons of free downloadable presets online for the POD.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Picked up a Blackstar HT-5H amp head. It needs some work. Which my friend is repairing it, I wanted to build a speaker cabinet for it. It has 2 x 16ohm and 1 8ohm speaker out. What would you guys recommend as the speaker for my build?

Thanks.
Last edited by eclipseG at Mar 21, 2016,