I`m getting more and more serious into home recording and was trying to upgrade to re-amping. whats the difference between passive and active. Do I need a DI box along with it or would the clean signal into my interface do fine?
This is a whole new field for me.
Thank You!
Does your interface have a DI built in? Most new ones have it.
On passive box you have a transformer and on active you have a preamp circuit which colors the sound but you can also control levels with it and does a few other tricks.

I've worked with passive reampers or DI boxes in reverse so far, but Radial seems to be the leading brand either way. I have their reamper PRORMP for which I needed to buy a special 1/4 male to XLR male cable.
Quote by diabolical
Does your interface have a DI built in? Most new ones have it.
On passive box you have a transformer and on active you have a preamp circuit which colors the sound but you can also control levels with it and does a few other tricks.

I've worked with passive reampers or DI boxes in reverse so far, but Radial seems to be the leading brand either way. I have their reamper PRORMP for which I needed to buy a special 1/4 male to XLR male cable.

Yes my DI has direct input.
So it sounds like active is slightly better?
Quote by slyrez
I`m getting more and more serious into home recording and was trying to upgrade to re-amping. whats the difference between passive and active. Do I need a DI box along with it or would the clean signal into my interface do fine?
This is a whole new field for me.
Thank You!
Depends on the interface. Some that have the "instrument input" or "DI-input" (particularly most consumer Focusrite stuff) tend to clip excessively with guitar even at the lowest preamp setting and require a DI box to get a good sound.

Otherwise it clips like crazy and/or lacks dynamics and there's no way to control it without changing the sound of the instrument itself (e.g. volume knob). The DI box will bring it down to microphone level and allow use of the mic preamp on your interface.

As for brands, can't go wrong with Radial for both the above mentioned items. Pricey but worth it.