Hi guys,

I bought in christmas an awesome Blackstar HT - 5R just for practicing in my small room, maybe what I'm about to say will confuse you a little, but as a guitarist in all these years I've never been aware of good sounding gear since in my country it's hard to get good amps, preamps, amps modelers or analog pedals (well in fact I know nothing about sound gear so believe me I can't even differentiate among these...A good guide would be appreciated).

2 years ago I made a thread about this topic and I told a lot of people I wanted analog pedals or a modeler for going into venue rehearsal amps or into third parties live venue amps. Some people recommended me a Line 6 POD HD500, other people told me to save money and buy a AXE FX II (even if I don't know about these things I know my favorite bands and guitar players such as Tosin Abasi, After The Burial and other DJENT, metalcore bands/Players use this one).

I'd like to know what you recommend me to save money for or just get some good pedals such as: AMT E1, Joyo AC Tone, Hardwire RV-7 Stereo Reverb Pedal, Shimverb, Digidelay, Hardwire DL-8 Stereo Delay Looper Pedal, Decimator ISP Technologies Noise Reduction, Maxon OD808, Fulltone OCD.

Thanks in advance!
Ideally you would bring your own amp and your own board.

The POD HD500 unit was suggested because you can do every bit of your tone shaping in just that unit and go direct to PA, bypassing whatever potentially shoddy amp the venue supplies you with. That is your next ideal.

With those individual units you listed, they will probably sound like garbage (especially the drives) without proper amp and speaker simulation. So you would need to add something like the Tech 21 Sansamp units to that. Although I hear good things about the Joyo amp-sims, not sure how they sound without speaker simulation.

A "guide" FYI: Guitar amps can be done in two ways: With a speaker cabinet attached (combo) or without (head). With a head, you need to use an extension speaker cab.

A full, volume-producing guitar amp is comprised of 3 parts, the preamp, the poweramp, and the speaker/cab. The preamp is where most of the tone-shaping wizardry happens. The poweramp is where the signal is elevated in power to drive a speaker. Which that signal is then sent to a speaker, mounted in a cabinet housing of some sort.

Amp modeler devices simulate the tone and response of whatever amp it is trying to simulate, but doing it with low-level signals. So the input to an amp modeler device is low level like your guitar, and often it will come out of the amp modeler low level as well, good for going into a PA or power amp. Often amp modelers will come with speaker simulations as well.

Preamps do the wizardry of a full amplifier's preamp to a low-level signal, sent out as a low-level signal, to be sent to a power amp. The actual signal strength varies between units, I think.

Analog pedals are just pedals that do not incorporate any sort of digital signal paths.

Or something like that...
It is up to you.

Do you want a quick-setup, good sounding floorboard that can go direct to PA on its own? POD HD500.

Do you want a moderate setup, pedal-unit based pedal board that will need to go into a proper amp? Or maybe you want to buy an amp and speaker simulation pedal so you do not have to go through an amp. Or maybe you want to use your own amp with the pedal board.
Quote by Will Lane
It is up to you.

Do you want a quick-setup, good sounding floorboard that can go direct to PA on its own? POD HD500.

Do you want a moderate setup, pedal-unit based pedal board that will need to go into a proper amp? Or maybe you want to buy an amp and speaker simulation pedal so you do not have to go through an amp. Or maybe you want to use your own amp with the pedal board.

I'd like to sound heavy and awesome for the genre I play (Djent, deathcore, metalcore mainly)

What would be the difference between getting a POD HD500 vs an AXE FX II?

For practicing at home my Blackstar sounds great, I haven't tried it live or taken it to a rehearsal room, so I don't know how well would it sound at higher volumes.
Quote by Revocation89
I'd like to sound heavy and awesome for the genre I play (Djent, deathcore, metalcore mainly)

What would be the difference between getting a POD HD500 vs an AXE FX II?

For practicing at home my Blackstar sounds great, I haven't tried it live or taken it to a rehearsal room, so I don't know how well would it sound at higher volumes.

Axe costs 4-5 times as much.

At your level of expertise, the HD500 will be more than adequate for some time to come.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin