UGH! I have the hiccups... for the 5th time today That can't be normal. I just hope I'm not one of those people who gets the hiccups for 60 years

Do you have a special trick to end hiccups? Or do you have a specific trigger? Does anyone here get them frequently? Or perhaps never have them?
Holding my breath actually works for me.

I have the same fear every time I get them though. Like, what if this is it, and I never have a hiccup free day again
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Holding your breath works fine, just do that.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I get them a lot. They don't last the whole day or anything but I might get them several times a day, maybe like... ok idk maybe like several times in a few weeks? (That was so vague)

edit: Yeah I tried holding my breath, drinking water, breathing really deeply. Sometimes I get them when I'm hungry so when I eat they go. But not always the case :s
Last edited by mind_meld at Mar 1, 2016,
head left, drink straight, unmixed cordial

the sugary kick usually kills it
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
If this occurs often, you may indeed have a bowel issue. I'd let someone know the next time you have a health checkup or something.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by mind_meld
UGH! I have the hiccups... for the 5th time today That can't be normal. I just hope I'm not one of those people who gets the hiccups for 60 years

Do you have a special trick to end hiccups? Or do you have a specific trigger? Does anyone here get them frequently? Or perhaps never have them?

I tried everything from being scared to sugar to whatever. I found something that actually works and didn't find it on the web, was just an idea that hit me one day and it works every single time! TUMS! I am not kidding. I get the hiccups and take two of those and seconds the hiccups are gone. Prior to Tums when I get the hiccups I get them for 48hrs straight and it becomes extremely painful.

TUMS IS THE SOLUTION...for me at least!
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
You take a rocks glass half full of water. Bend over forward and drink from the far side of the glass, upside down like a dog. It causes the diaphragm to stop its spasm. Works every time.
I almost never get them. On the rare occasions I do holding my breath usually works after a couple of tries.

Other weird cures that are pretty effective:

Stretch a paper towel over a glass of water and drink through the paper towel.

Drink from the wrong side of a glass of water. It's difficult, but doable. Put your upper lip on the opposite side of the glass and carefully tilt your head forward until you can drink.
Take deep and slow breaths (like.. literally breathe in and out as far as you can, get all the air out of your lungs then fill them as much as possible).
Hiccups are spasm of the diaphragm. Controlled, deep breaths bring it out of spasm and to normality. All this drink water, hold your breath, burp BS is.. BS.

Only usually takes 2 or 3 breaths for me and it's gone
Last edited by sam b at Mar 1, 2016,
^ They're not BS. They all do things to make you control your diaphragm which fucks with the rhythm it's gotten stuck in.

Of course if the slow deep breaths works then the more involved cures are just extra hassle. I'll have to try that first next time. I have a feeling the deep breaths thing might not work for the more intense hard to get rid of cases.
I figured out that forcing my throat to do the swallow motion / mechanism works pretty good.

Just swallow 3 times, without taking a breath and opening your mouth in between.
It's not that easy but I guess that's like holding your breath but also concentrating on a different mechanism of your body.
Quote by Ougagagoubu
I figured out that forcing my throat to do the swallow motion / mechanism works pretty good.

Just swallow 3 times, without taking a breath and opening your mouth in between.
It's not that easy but I guess that's like holding your breath but also concentrating on a different mechanism of your body.

I know of a few girls that can do that quite well while....
I onced hold my breath for too long and passed out.W hen i woke up i still had hiccups.

Worst day of my life.
The thing that usually helps me is crawling on hands and knees through a busy street, making cow noises and occassionally licking an unsuspecting stranger's hands, filming that, putting that on youtube and sharing the link right here in this thread.

You should really try it, works wonders
I would really like to know if Tums work for others. If anyone is willing to try it please let me know...even if in PM. Thanks.
Quote by ultimate-slash
The thing that usually helps me is crawling on hands and knees through a busy street, making cow noises and occassionally licking an unsuspecting stranger's hands, filming that, putting that on youtube and sharing the link right here in this thread.

You should really try it, works wonders

Quote by fingerguy
I would really like to know if Tums work for others. If anyone is willing to try it please let me know...even if in PM. Thanks.

Hm, I get bucket loads of Mylanta from my work, that's the same thing right?
Quote by mind_meld

Hm, I get bucket loads of Mylanta from my work, that's the same thing right?

Hmmm....try it and let me know. Might be a shitty experience though.
put a pen or pencil in your mouth sideways so you're biting down on it like a dog bone. get it back far enough so you're holding it with the beginning of your molars then drink a glass of water through it. you will drool and spill on yourself....just a heads up
"Put your left foot in, take your left foot out. Put your left foot in and you shake it all about. Do the Hockey Pockey, and a something something, AND that's what it's all about."

Works for me
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Whenever I have the hiccups, I go the ER and have emergency surgery to replace my respiratory system. Try that.

If you don't have access to healthcare, try watching a How-To video, or play Operation until you feel comfortable enough to DIY.
Free Ali