I tried three different effects pedal's and the main problem i have with them is the gain, the more I increase the gain i get these harsh sounds, I want a distortion pedal that doesn't have these harsh sounds even with max gain, and or a fuzz pedal that doesn't have harsh sounds with max gain, because I get these harsh sounds from a rat 2 pedal with max gain, a tubescreamer with max gain, a dod grunge pedal with max gain, i don't know if certain pedals sound better with a fat 50's pickup, and or with solid state amps. Also I'm using high gauged flat wound chrome strings. So what pedal would that be?
You're using a solid state amp? Well, that could be problem #2.

Any TubeScreamer-type pedal will have less than good results with a SS amp, since they're designed to push tubes into an overdriven tone. Hence the name.

Problem #1 could be trying to use max gain. Yes, every pedal (and amp) with a gain control has a certain range of tones, but not all of that range is going to be usable. Especially if you max the gain on multiple devices (amp & pedals) simultaneously. IOW, you are using too much of a good thing. Moderation- in all things- is your friend.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 1, 2016,
Tweak your EQ (maybe turn down your treble and if you have a presence knob, turn it down). Turn the filter knob of the Rat pedal up.

And yeah, don't just max the gain. That usually doesn't give the best results.

What amp and guitar are you using? What are your settings?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by dannyalcatraz
(a) You're using a solid state amp? Well, that could be problem #2.

(b) Any TubeScreamer-type pedal will have less than good results with a SS amp, since they're designed to push tubes into an overdriven tone. Hence the name.

(a) I'd say that's problem #1. Most of my problems went away when I went tube. They all went away when i discovered boosting with an OD pedal.

(b) That's a myth, I think. As far as I'm aware, it was designed to sound like a tube amp when used with an SS amp. It's just a happy accident that it sounds so good pushing a tube amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Rat is a bit harsh typically, but sounds great with a tube amp. I can imagine it'd sound way too harsh through an SS.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You may try an overdrive, like the 805. Don't use a ton of gain, and use the active EQ to dial out the harshness.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
With gain, less is ALWAYS more
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
If i pick hard would that give me harsh sounds. if so should i get a less than .60 mm pick?
Quote by cocobeanxx13
well do guitar picks give you more or less volume?
Picks mostly adjust what your pick attack is like, not volume. There is some volume output difference but again that is not the solution.

The "harshness" you hear when picking hard is because the overdrive circuit is doing what it is supposed to. When you hit the circuit with more signal from your guitar, the circuit overdrives or "clips" harder with the more signal that is applied to it. The harshness you are hearing is that clipping which, in front of a solid state amp, will not sound good. Most SS amps just do not react to overdrive pedals like a Tube amp does.

Changing your picks will not help you, you'll just slightly adjust the output of your guitar.

What amp and guitar are you using?
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 1, 2016,
Troll
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You're using a solid state amp? Well, that could be problem #2.
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) I'd say that's problem #1. Most of my problems went away when I went tube. They all went away when i discovered boosting with an OD pedal.
Quote by tubetime86
The Rat is a bit harsh typically, but sounds great with a tube amp. I can imagine it'd sound way too harsh through an SS.
You could use the Crush amp's speaker (just the speaker) as the speaker cabinet for the Micro Terror Head. But at that point you are better off saving for a proper amp, don't spend it on the MT. You'll grow out of it quickly.

If you have the Orange 35RT, just use that amp's gain channel and leave it at that. Don't use pedals with it.