i have a ibanez ART120 but it's sound is too metal for me...i want some clear and crunchy rock n roll tone...i first thought of getting a Seymour Duncan Slash set...but it is better to sell the Ibanez and buy with the money from the selling and some more money a Gibson SGM or a SG '70 Tribute???
What amp do you have? And what do you mean "too metal sounding"?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
^ Yeah. When it comes to tone, the first thing to look at is your amp (most of the time). Pickup swap is more about fine tweaking, unless you completely change the pickup type.

Though, I looked at the specs and it does have active pickups, so the pickups may in fact be part of the problem.

But before doing a pickup swap, I would try different guitars through your amp and see if it makes a huge difference.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
While active pickups might not be the first choice for rock n roll, they can definitely do it, the Seymour Duncan JB is a very popular (passive) bridge pickup that is in a lot of metal player's guitars.

The two things that are more likely influencing your sound are your amp/effects that you are using to get your distortion, and your technique. Technique might sound strange but it is true, as a player who cut my teeth on punk and metal I had to learn to play other styles so that they sound like other styles and not metal, perhaps you need to work a little on your rock n roll technique.
Quote by stsitirokis
my amp is pretty crappy i must say...

this gives us no helpful information to make suggestions on.
the amp that i use now was my first amp i dont even know its name but it is a very cheap amp
Then I think you've answered your own question in some way. What's your budget ? Location? New or used? and we can guide you towards a better amp.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
but even if i buy a new amp, i will still get metal sound beacause of the pickups...i bought that guitar beacause i used to play a lot of metal but now i got bored and i want to start playing some rock/ hard rock music
The Slash set (or Whole Lotta Humbuckers) are great choices if you love the guitar, otherwise work on getting a good amp first- it is hard to suggest good pickups if the amp won't reproduce the sound properly.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
right...so i need a new amp hands down :P...any good advice for an amp that gives u a sweet rock tone?
Quote by stsitirokis
but even if i buy a new amp, i will still get metal sound beacause of the pickups...i bought that guitar beacause i used to play a lot of metal but now i got bored and i want to start playing some rock/ hard rock music

id say that 10% of your tone come from your guitar and 90% from your amp, i can play metal with a my Pacifica (Strat type guitar) and i can play rock/blues with my Schecter wich got high output pickups designed with metal in mind. all depend on my amp setting.
The guitar is just a lump of wood, the amplification chain (pickups, Fx, amp, speakers) is the important thing, so if you are happy with the lump of wood, upgrade the pickups by all means. The downside is that you won't recover the modding cost if you sell it, so save the old pickups to put back in if you sell it.
Last edited by Tony Done at Mar 1, 2016,
Quote by stsitirokis
right...so i need a new amp hands down :P...any good advice for an amp that gives u a sweet rock tone?

How loud do you need to be?

An Orange micro terror and a not bad cab(12" V30) can be had for a little over the 250Euro mark I think.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
i prefer a combo, not a head-cabin set
not really loud essentially, just for home practicing
Last edited by stsitirokis at Mar 1, 2016,
If it's just home practice, I'd recommend a POD HD (desktop) and a good pair of studio headphones. Thats a good economic solution.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
What do you mean when you say "too metal"?The amp has more to do with the overall tone then the pickups or guitar. What do you need/want in tone? If you are playing at home and do not intend to play in a band The Yamaha THR series of amps are great that can produce a wide range of tones at bedroom levels.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Just get a modeling amp like Roland Cube, Peavey Vypyr, Fender Mustang, Vox Valvetronix... They are good for bedroom playing and give you a variety of tones.

Amp first, pickups/guitar second (if you want to improve tone).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115