Page 1 of 2
I've always wondered this. I realize that some musicians play solo pieces, but most of us coexist with other players/instruments.

I've going to music stores for 20+ years. A lot of times, I don't even plug in these days. But sometimes I want to check out the guitar better, or check out the amp.

So, I've noticed that guitarists will either keep the volume down low (which is cool), or start blaring away while me or somebody else is playing as well, and it gets to the point where what you are playing is inconsequential because it's just a bunch of noise.

So, when somebody starts blaring their music, I stop playing what I'm playing and either 1) just keep looking around or 2) start playing along to what they are playing.

And I noticed there's only a few times where anybody else will even notice that I'm playing along with them. And a couple of times it turned into a conversation. And never have I noticed somebody else trying to do this with another guitar player. Especially if you are GOOD, you should be able to follow what other players are playing.

And piano players are the same. They plug in and start rattling away on some Chopin number when another guy is playing Billy Joel.

Wouldn't it be fun to play along and play together, instead of trying of trying to blare dissonant noise louder than the next guy? And who knows, you might even find people to play with? But I've almost never met anybody who thinks like that. And I think it's kind of funny TBH.
Last edited by jogogonne at Mar 1, 2016,
To be honest with you, that sounds super annoying. Im in a music store to buy gear and test it out. Not to listen to you jam G blues for 30 minutes with some other hack.

People have different tastes too. Chopin Guy probably hates Billy Joel. Why would he want to play that?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm always concious of the employees and keep my equipment testing short.
It's gotta drive them crazy hearing amateurs all day blaring what they think is gold but to the employee it's just another schmuck hamfisting through a Skynyrd riff
Quote by EyeNon15
I'm always concious of the employees and keep my equipment testing short.
It's gotta drive them crazy hearing amateurs all day blaring what they think us gold but to the employee it's just another schmuck hamfisting through a Skynyrd riff

That or 2 kids murdering the trooper and the ears of everybody in the vicinity
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Depends on the music being played and the skills of the players.

I'm not going to play metal with some kid if I'm trying to test out a hollowbody on a Fender
primarily because those musicians who are actually good do not often step into physical stores. they know better, to buy online.

that means the "musicians" who step into the physical stores are the ones who could not follow a g blues to save their life. and i know that to be true.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 1, 2016,
Actually the smart play is to test it out in a physical store, if you like it then go find a deal online.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
To be honest with you, that sounds super annoying. Im in a music store to buy gear and test it out. Not to listen to you jam G blues for 30 minutes with some other hack.

People have different tastes too. Chopin Guy probably hates Billy Joel. Why would he want to play that?

So, you go into a store and you are testing out a strat. And let's just say you can play decent. You're playing for 10 minutes and some other guy who let's just say is also decent starts playing at a decent volume.

Isn't the point of buying a strat so you can be in a band? Or you want to blare your Randy Rhoads licks at full gain and volume while the other guy continues to play something equally loud in a completely different key?
Quote by jogogonne
So, you go into a store and you are testing out a strat. And let's just say you can play decent. You're playing for 10 minutes and some other guy who let's just say is also decent starts playing at a decent volume.

Isn't the point of buying a strat so you can be in a band? Or you want to blare your Randy Rhoads licks at full gain and volume while the other guy continues to play something equally loud in a completely different key?
found the problem, rhoads licks with a strat.

it really is just not worth it most of the time. the very few chaps that come into the store i work at that are good, really do not spend that much time doing anything that is accompaniable and for a long enough time that i can grab a guitar and join them. like i said most of the people that are good do not step into physical stores that often, at least they seem to be overshadowed by all the masses of incompetent players.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 1, 2016,
I've jammed in music stores before. One time I did a polka jam playing band with an 80 year old Peruvian guy. He has a guitar and he's just like, "play this," and shows me a short two chord vamp with a little run down and we jammed on it for 20 minutes.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Will Lane
found the problem, rhoads licks with a strat.

it really is just not worth it most of the time. the very few chaps that come into the store i work at that are good, really do not spend that much time doing anything that is accompaniable and for a long enough time that i can grab a guitar and join them. like i said most of the people that are good do not step into physical stores that often, at least they seem to be overshadowed by all the masses of incompetent players.

That's not true. I've seen lots of pro level players over the years at Guitar Center and tons of players who are decent to quite good.

I'm just saying. With all the guys who go through there, you would think there would be more instances of people playing together, or trying to.
Quote by jogogonne

The point of buying a strat is to have a guitar to play. Has nothing to do with being in a band.

And no I play quiet and I ignore other people cause I dont care about what they are playing. I care about what I am buying. If I need quiet, then I will ask the store to put me in an isolated room where I can crank up and hear the amp without having to deal with other people.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I find people in music stores to be the most ego driven selfish players around. I just recently walked out of a Guitar Center (Totowa, NJ) when some blockhead started playing the intro to "Sweet Child of Mine" at +11 and doing it really badly. I was sure the store employees would walk over and put a stop to it but they didn't so after 10 minutes of this crap I left. It was really loud. Too bad for the store since I was in one those buying moods where you have a little extra money and are looking to leave with something new. Let's not encourage "jams" in the stores please. It's bad enough now. Join a band or jam with some friends. Keep it away from the music stores.

I'll bet 9 out 10 times these guys don't buy anything either.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 1, 2016,
If I worked in a guitar shop, I'd make sure all of the guitars were in tune with each other just in case a jam sesh pops up.
Quote by Rickholly74 at #33860174
Let's not encourage "jams" in the stores please. It's bad enough now. Join a band or jam with some friends. Keep it away from the music stores.

Amen
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The only music store around here is Guitar Center so it's a really great thing that people don't do this. Although maybe it can't be worse than 20 separate people all playing metal on out of tune guitars through different amps with terrible tone. Not sure on that one.....
I've played with my buddy in my band at Guitar Center a number of times. Never that loud and mostly just because we both wanted to try guitars and figured may as well play together as usual. By myself I rarely plug in at a music store, for the very reason that I'm certain the employees probably hate it, but when I do I'm testing the guitar at a very low volume
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
i prefer local music shops to buy my gear from, because they're usually pretty empty and the owners are chill, prices are lower, etc

every guitar center i go to is full of wankery and faggots trying to play stairway to heaven in every corner of the room, the guitar are always out of tune, and some idiot thinks he travis barker on the 200 dollar drum kit.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

the music store I go to actually has a loud room for each instrument, which is nice because when you're roaming and looking you can do that in peace, and then when it's your turn to go into the loud room, you can jam without bothering anyone/being bothered.

surprised more stores don't do this.
Quote by ehbacon
the music store I go to actually has a loud room for each instrument, which is nice because when you're roaming and looking you can do that in peace, and then when it's your turn to go into the loud room, you can jam without bothering anyone/being bothered.

surprised more stores don't do this.

Floorspace is expensive, and stores don't trust people not to damage their stock if out of sight.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Walked into a GC a couple of weeks ago and went into the drum room. I was probably going to walk out w/ a Cajon, but these 2 guys were basically having a drum-off on the two kits they had set up there. Same idea - they both were playing two totally different things as loud as they could. It was annoying as all hell. So, I wandered around the store for a bit waiting for them to finish, but after 10 minutes or so, they were still going strong, so I just left. I've since lost interest in the Cajon (for now), so GC lost a sale that day.
I think it really depends on where you go. At Steve's music in Toronto I've jammed with quite a few players; mind you, at reasonable volumes because I'm not a dick.
I also just remembered I went to the Sweetwater factory in Indiana and it was like Guitar Center x100 aka hell
Generally people are in a store to test out the equipment to see if they want to buy it. A lot of that is the sound of the instrument, so you really want to be able to hear it, which means you don't really want interference from another guitar.

So, I will also try not to be too loud while other guys are playing, because they are trying to hear their instrument.

For electric guitars though, sometimes you just need to blast it, and that's how it is.

I think a lot of players are also not the "jam" variety, but the learn pieces and play them sort, so that factors in. And even for me, I know some pieces use some chord shape, or some stretch, or something difficult in a particular way, and I like to see how that plays on an instrument, so I need to be in my little bubble for that.

All of that said, I have done that before, and even if I am playing quietly to myself, if I hear other music, I'd prefer to play along than play something different, because that's less conflicting with my ability to assess the instrument.
I'm there to test shit, not show off or "jam" with some fraud.
PM me for newts
Quote by fingrpikingood
Generally people are in a store to test out the equipment to see if they want to buy it. A lot of that is the sound of the instrument, so you really want to be able to hear it, which means you don't really want interference from another guitar.

So, I will also try not to be too loud while other guys are playing, because they are trying to hear their instrument.

For electric guitars though, sometimes you just need to blast it, and that's how it is.

I think a lot of players are also not the "jam" variety, but the learn pieces and play them sort, so that factors in. And even for me, I know some pieces use some chord shape, or some stretch, or something difficult in a particular way, and I like to see how that plays on an instrument, so I need to be in my little bubble for that.

All of that said, I have done that before, and even if I am playing quietly to myself, if I hear other music, I'd prefer to play along than play something different, because that's less conflicting with my ability to assess the instrument.
TBH, I spend more time with electrics unplugged. I'm not there to try out the amp.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
When I go to a music store, I do the same thing I do when I'm at home, I trouble shoot all my scales and arpeggios and shred quietly to myself. Nobody wants to hear a show off.
Quote by badfish_lewis
I think it really depends on where you go. At Steve's music in Toronto I've jammed with quite a few players; mind you, at reasonable volumes because I'm not a dick.

I'd think that would be a good thing.

Lets be honest. 90% of people who pick up guitars and amps to play are not there to walk out of the store with a guitar or amp that day. It could also be a good place to find players at your level. Bands break up and you band members go away, and craigslist is very time consuming to find players of the same ability.

Or you could ask good players to show you things. I NEVER see that either. I have done that too.

I mean, of course this is an online forum and whatever I say, people are going to tell me to f-off, but again, just saying...
I tend to prefer to keep the volume down when guitar testing - as rare as that is. But when you're there for an amp, and a big expensive one at that - you have to crank it, that's what you're buying it for. I'm not shelling out for a Dual Rectifier to run it at bedroom volume, i'm buying it to destroy the building my band is playing in.

I'll typically go in with the mind set of 'here is a list of things I want to play at volume, and it's practiced'. And it's not just genre, if I'm testing an expensive amp I want to try it with metal, rock, classical guitar, post-modern rock, punk. I've never gone in and started the cringe worthy songs though, I prefer to do original material.

It's worth noting though that if I'm there to test at volume I ask the guys first if it's okay if I crank it. Because you know, I appreciate how often they /must/ have heard goddamn Guns & Roses so loud and played so badly that they must harbor murderous tendencies.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I went to test an acoustic a year ago and that happened. I was doing a very simple little Modest Mouse song and this guy on another acoustic started doing a lead that really sounded amazing and totally different than the song... it was awesome. We connected without ever speaking a word...
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
man there was this sweet jazz groove getting laid by a pianist and drummer when i was at my favorite music store the other day. they were later joined by a tamborine guy and a guitar dude lol. one of the most memorable parts was when they were doing something with a christmas song in a minor key, it was pretty rad
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I've done this a few times, but only when I'm there (purposely or not) with musicians I know. It would be pretty strange if this were a regular thing that people did, though I can see some merit in it, i.e. seeing how well equipment does in different contexts, e.g. (lol) testing how well an amp/guitar cuts through rhythm or something. As said before, musicians typically go to test gear, not to mess about and play music just to play.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by jogogonne at #33860070
And piano players are the same. They plug in and start rattling away on some Chopin number when another guy is playing Billy Joel.

because two pianos together sounds atrocious unless rehearsed
also shop floor pianos are usually at only 7/10 of their full potential, because dealers are unscrupulous pricks that skimp on a first time tuning and regulation

also we all hate each other a bit
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
me and my drummer went into guitar center last weekend and smashed out some exodus couple people knew what was goin on ^^ def going to do it again play some originals

but yea ive never heard any 2 playing or guitar drum

shit get the whole band in and put on your own free publicity concert lol
Quote by hurricaneNox
me and my drummer went into guitar center last weekend and smashed out some exodus couple people knew what was goin on ^^ def going to do it again play some originals

but yea ive never heard any 2 playing or guitar drum

shit get the whole band in and put on your own free publicity concert lol

Even better. A bunch of assholes that, rather than at least play in proximity, jam from halfway across the store.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Will Lane
primarily because those musicians who are actually good do not often step into physical stores. they know better, to buy online.

The best guitar I ever held was a heavily modified japanese strat.

It'll never be online.

If nothing else I at least go to guitar shops before I buy something mass produced to test it out, and grab some guitar picks for their time. It's also a great place to test out amps or anything where the shipping cost would negate the money I'd save buying it online. Also small shit like cables and stuff I cba to wait for.

The coolest guitar shop owner in the area died of a heart attack a few years ago, which is a real bummer, his prices were competitive with online ones, hell sometimes better.
The other local dude is a luthier, and a hell of an electronics guy he can fix about anything. He got schematics from EMG to rig my les paul with an active/inactive pickup combination. It wasn't recommended both be ran at the same time, only one pickup or the other, but it gave me a variety of tone.

I've never seen a guitar center.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 3, 2016,
A few things to keep in mind when you go "jamming" at a music store. The people who work there will hate you because they can sense who is buying and who is just annoying. The other customers who have to put up with it also hate you. And lastly, as good as you think you are playing (showing off) there are at least two or three other people in the store at that very moment who can blow you away and play rings around you. They are quietly thinking "What a dick".

Testing an amp or guitar is essential if you have a local store that carries what you are looking for. That's more than acceptable in any case, but I think we can all spot (or hear) the difference between "Jammers" and buyers and the original OP of this thread sounded like he was encouraging the jammer mentality.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 3, 2016,
Quote by Rickholly74
A few things to keep in mind when you go "jamming" at a music store. The people who work there will hate you because they can sense who is buying and who is just annoying. The other customers who have to put up with it also hate you. And lastly, as good as you think you are playing (showing off) there are at least two or three other people in the store at that very moment who can blow you away and play rings around you. They are quietly thinking "What a dick".

Testing an amp or guitar is essential if you have a local store that carries what you are looking for. That's more than acceptable in any case, but I think we can all spot (or hear) the difference between "Jammers" and buyers and the original OP of this thread sounded like he was encouraging the jammer mentality.

I don't agree with this at all.

I often go in just to check out what's new in stock, and sometimes just to sit down and mess around.

The alleged fact that there are "always" people around that are better than I am isn't material to the equation. I'm not there for them, I'm there for me.

Even the kid with no money and little skill playing through an out-of-tune bargain basement Ibanez and a Line 6 Spider on the insane setting is a potential customer, just not today.

I just don't see the problem?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Don't misunderstand my comments. People who are trying out gear with the idea of possibly purchasing it now or in future is what should be happening but to encourage an organized jam session between various players in a music store as far as I'm concerned is not a good idea. Hey that's just me. If I am in a store and it happens I can choose to leave or stay but after listening to repeated choruses of "Crazy Train" or "Sweet Child of Mine" over and over..............
Quote by Rickholly74 at #33863259

Quote by Rickholly74 at #33863470
Don't misunderstand my comments. People who are trying out gear with the idea of possibly purchasing it now or in future is what should be happening but to encourage an organized jam session between various players in a music store as far as I'm concerned is not a good idea. Hey that's just me. If I am in a store and it happens I can choose to leave or stay but after listening to repeated choruses of "Crazy Train" or "Sweet Child of Mine" over and over..............

Couldn't agree more.

Even if you held a gun to my head.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Page 1 of 2