I had a teacher for a while who mostly taught me 21 open, all the barred voicing, and really just enough knowledge to play my fave tunes. I haven't really been enthusiastic about putting anything into it, mostly just fuckin around and hope it sounds good. I did take a basic guitar course at the local community college. It was everything my teacher had already taught me, but it also helped me to read sheet music.

After several years of milling about, I've decided to take it up again. I've been using this book I picked up at the used book store for about 10 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Total-guitar-Terry-Burrows/dp/0760711666

It seems pretty good in that it has a lot of scales and modes, and how chords are built, but that's about it. But I think its something more of a supplemental or refresher rather than a dedicated teaching tool.

But I digress. Here's what I know so far:

how to read sheet music
timing
chords - 21 open (majors, minors, 7ths), barred voicings, and 3 or 4 jazz chords
scales (6th, 5th, and 3rd string roots) - major, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, pentatonic major, and pentatonic minor (I only started scales last week)

My plan is to master the book, and then start seein a teacher again to fix what parts I learned wrong.

is that an okay way to go or should I just start over with a good teacher?
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
There's no right or wrong way to learn it depends on what method you respond well to. Best advice I can give aside from lessons, books, youtube etc. is to get together with some other players of similar skill or better yet try getting a band together.
Playing in a band is a great way to learn not just about your instrument and others but to learn different styles of music you might not otherwise have been into.
Books, lessons, jamming with others is all good.

Youtube is also an UNBELIEVABLE resource.

That wasn't around when I was playing for the first decade. It could have saved me a lot of time trying to learn certain solos and songs and a lot of $ paying teachers to show me things.

The most important thing to remember is that it has to be fun. It's not taking Organic Chemistry so you can get into medical school and make a lot of $. Most great guitar players (not necessarily pianists ) become so because they spent hours and hours playing for fun and trying to copy solos they love. I mean, yes, later on you refine it and have a practicing regimen, but it's my opinion that the hours and hours of actual 'playing' is what made those players great.
Last edited by jogogonne at Mar 1, 2016,
I reckon your best plan would be to get a good teacher from the word go and get yourself in a band. You can learn while being productive with other musicians and its a great way to learn. Plus its great fun

Good luck with it all.