This is my first post on this website so hello! I'm very interested in upgrading my stock humbuckers in my ibanez grg7221 7 string guitar. I've never played on anything without stock pickups so I don't really know what they sound like. The amp I use is a Line 6 spider IV 15 watt. Right now the guitar sounds alright but it's really muddy, I don't use any pedals I just use the models on the amp such as metal and insane. The guitar just sounds really ugly and not clear, I'm no expert but to me it does. Should I upgrade my humbuckers to a set of Seymour Duncan's? These are the ones I'm interested in.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/nazgul-sentient-set-7-strg-passive-mount

I want to play metal, A tuning. But my guitar just sounds trashy. Plz help me out bros.
Thanks -brad
I would put the money into a new amp.

I have the exact same guitar and I agree, the pickups aren't very good but to be honest any guitar through a Line 6 Spider will sound like shit.

I have a Peavey Vypyr, one of the better modelling amps, and I still haven't changed the pickups due to the fact I was saving for a 6505 MH but then I blew the money on a new Ibanez Iron Label 7 String RGD since I have the self control of a 5 year old, just waiting for that guitar to come in.

Edit: Those were the pickups I was going to put in my GRG aswell lol, please don't tell me you have the limited run white one I have and totally blow my mind
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Last edited by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma at Mar 1, 2016,
Don't bother with pickups until you get a better amp. Pickups are more for fine tuning your sound after you've found an amp that you like.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
+1 on both replies. Line 6 is crap. Usually when you're going to a music store for the first time and you somehow let them know you're no expert and just started playing and still need gear, you're guaranteed to get a Line 6 forced upon you. If you're still a rather unexperienced player (and even if you aren't) then the first obvious and best choice is a new amp. I also have a Peavey Vypyr 15 for home practice and it kicks ass. Tons of different sounds and for that price (I paid 109 € back then) it's really a square deal. Pickups won't help you much if you don't know what sound you are into. As already mentioned, PUs add nuances to your sound, rathern than radically changing it. If your hearing isn't well-developed yet, you might not even notice a difference between stock and high-end PUs. But believe, me, you'll notice a huge difference between Peavey and Line 6. Get the amp first and save your PU-money for the time when you're absolutely sure you need new PUs and know what you are looking for in them. It's a safe rule of thumb to rather use your PUs as problem solvers. If you notice your sound somehow lacks presence and you already tried everything with the EQs, you'll want more mids in your PUs, etc. But as I said, save the money for now and get a bettter amp.

Oh, and by the way: Welcome aboard and congrats on your cool axe
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Mar 1, 2016,
Quote by kornonkob
This is my first post on this website so hello! I'm very interested in upgrading my stock humbuckers in my ibanez grg7221 7 string guitar. I've never played on anything without stock pickups so I don't really know what they sound like. The amp I use is a Line 6 spider IV 15 watt. Right now the guitar sounds alright but it's really muddy, I don't use any pedals I just use the models on the amp such as metal and insane. The guitar just sounds really ugly and not clear, I'm no expert but to me it does. Should I upgrade my humbuckers to a set of Seymour Duncan's? These are the ones I'm interested in.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/nazgul-sentient-set-7-strg-passive-mount

I want to play metal, A tuning. But my guitar just sounds trashy. Plz help me out bros.
Thanks -brad

I can't in good conscience tell someone to upgrade a Gio series Ibanez rather than just replacing the guitar. I owned one and it just never felt right. Both the guitar you're using and the amp both have muddy sounds but with the right tweaking you should be able to get a decent practice sound out of the spider. Try looking for some presets online. As well as try to look into the used market for a 7 string. When you get into lower tunings you definitely want to try to use gear that has brighter tones so that you can maintain clarity and attack while having the lower tunings.
Choo choo! All aboard the Line 6 Spider hate train!

Bought one for the price years ago, sent it back to amazon.

Sell the spider, get either a nice amp if you can play loud, or hsm-8 yamaha monitors and bias fx for ios. I am on the 2nd option now and it sounds great.

Stock pickups can be crap but a bad amp ruins everything. Later, just upgrade your guitar..but first is the amp!
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by GraceByDeath
I can't in good conscience tell someone to upgrade a Gio series Ibanez rather than just replacing the guitar. I owned one and it just never felt right. Both the guitar you're using and the amp both have muddy sounds but with the right tweaking you should be able to get a decent practice sound out of the spider. Try looking for some presets online. As well as try to look into the used market for a 7 string. When you get into lower tunings you definitely want to try to use gear that has brighter tones so that you can maintain clarity and attack while having the lower tunings.

My Gio is fine, maybe I just lucked out and got a good one, but it is actually quite a solid guitar, the pickups and electronics are just shite.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
I speak from personal experience when I say this: it is the Line 6 that is mostly due to the muddy noise.

Mine is still hanging out somewhere around my house, but I've since moved on to better amplifiers. Even when compared to amps of similar quality and price as the Spiders, there are better options. I did enjoy the few Vypyrs and Cubes as alternative practice amps. Even for the price of the amp, there are certainly better. Even with my one guitar with cheapo pickups, it sounds exactly the same as my guitar with Seymour Dunancs through the Spider.

Trust me, it's not worth it right now. You're taking the cheaper route to fix a long-term problem. Save up some more money, do some research, and get a better amp.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Try experimenting with the pick up height relative to the strings. This is a no cost option which might help. Increase the distance from the top of the pick up to the low E string.
Last edited by monabri at Mar 8, 2016,