Hi Guys,

I'm currently studying year 12 in Australia. Part of passing this year involves completing the research project. This is a task where we think of a question and spend the whole year researching a topic of our choice and then create a report to show our findings.

Part of the project is about ethical considerations, and to address this I need to let you know that I will be using your screen names in the project. If this is an issue do not hesitate to tell me and I will leave you anonymous.

My Topic is “What are the key elements of designing a complete guitar rig/setup for use in studio recording, across multiple genres such as blues, jazz, funk, rock and heavy metal?”

I have made a surveymonkey, with some brief questions regarding the topic.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LPN3BJN

Any responses to the survey would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Iules at Mar 2, 2016,
I don't think that you will get good results from this post. I would recommend trying surveymonkey or something like that. Its easier for people to do that then copy and paste. I also think that you would have better results on the "guitar gear and accessories" sub-forum.

I am on my phone typing this, but I will happily fill it out later for you.

Good luck and .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
An affordable guitar is whatever you can afford. The most I've spent is about $6K, but I've come very close to spending $200K (actually a trade for an old car valued at that) for a real original '59 burst from Rumble Seat Music. OTOH, a lot of guitarists would cap their guitar purchases at $1K.

If you're selecting guitars for a studio, you'll probably find that there are three or four essentials: something that does well with single coils, like a tele or a strat. Something that does well with standard humbuckers, like an LP. And something that offers shred/metal capabilities with hotter pickups, flat-ish fretboard, jumbo frets and hot pickups and perhaps something with more than six strings. Might want an acoustic with a built-in pickup setup. You might even consider a Variax guitar (modeling, again, of different kinds of instruments.

In studio recording, an amp is unnecessary. If you're looking for versatility, you'll likely prefer a modeler or something software based. The modelers/software also offer a lot of the basic FX you'd need. After that, you may want specific items, but that's not a general consideration.

After that, it becomes a question of mixing convenience and computer speed (most recording these days is done on some kind of computer).

My suggestion is to add a MIDI keyboard. A LOT of what goes onto recordings these days comes off keyboards.
Thanks for the info guys. The survey monkey is a great idea and I'll definitely look into that. Also part of the project is about ethical considerations, and to address this I need to let you know that I will be using your screen names in the project. If this is an issue do not hesitate to tell me and I will leave you anonymous.
I have completed the survey but (I know I'm grumpy) I found the questions a bit arbitrary and broad. If you are building a rig for yourself it is very much down to personal preference and what you need in order to obtain the tones you want. For example, I seldom use a Wah so probably wouldn't spend anything to get something over and above what I already have.

While multi FX are very flexible they can be equally constricting as you programme in a daffy of settings and then end up just using them. Great if you are in a cover band and need a wide sound pallet available instantly, but not necessarily as convenient in a recording situation where you are chasing a particular sound. Also digital multi FX can throw up some odd tone anomalies which can be a real pain to track down, isolate and remove. My preference is for old school.

Also, as it is recording related, what you may or may not need could well be overshadowed by your DAW.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
I agree that the I haven't given enough context and that's how the questions seem arbitrary. However what I'm trying to get at is what one set-up could you use, if in one session your playing on a record for Pantera, and the next your playing on Michael Buble's cover of what a wonderful world, what one rig will you be able to cover most genre's. Also I understand that in a rig like that, you would be a jack of all trades master of none, but that is sort of what I'm trying to find out. i.e. if your were a young session player trying to get as much work as possible but without the money to have 12 guitars and 6 amps and a plethora of effects.
So what you are talking about are the tools of your trade. Any craftsman in any trade will be knowledgeable about the tools that allow them to put bread on the table.

If two chippies turn up on site after one job and one has a smart toolbox and one has a few odds and endes in a plastic carrier bag who do you think will get the job?

If you were a young aspiring session guitarist one assumes that guitar playing will have been your life and dream and what you will have sunk your every last penny into. You would already appreciate what's good and what's not and done everything humanly possible to aquire at least one half decent guitar. If someone is that good one assumes their gear must be at least adequate to play live. How else will they have impressed anyone enough to get the session gig in the first place?

If a studio is turning out a lot of different music, and hiring session musicians, they may well have a stock of gear to use, or you hire.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
To play absolutely everything you are going to want a Strat of some sort, a Les Paul like guitar, a shred monster, an accoustic and a Classical guitar. Even a slide. The thing is genres are so diverse that I doubt anyone starting out can be good at all of them. Probability is you might get taken on for one and be asked "Oh we need a little bit of..." You won't be recording a mind bending shred for Dirty Sheep Worriers on Tuesday (who, one assumes, would have their own guitarist) and Rodriguez Guitar Concerto on Wednesday.
Quote by Iules

I'm currently studying year 12 in Australia. Part of passing this year involves completing the research project. This is a task where we think of a question and spend the whole year researching a topic of our choice and then create a report to show our findings.

Given your direction, you definitely want to start asking questions of recording producers rather than random guitarists.

This "versatile custom guitar" you're speaking of would probably be one (or more) of the Variax guitars (modeling) that include models on the usual suspects plus some surprising stringed instruments. Since they also do alternate tunings instantly, even when the guitar is equipped with a Floyd, you might want to look there first before scratching your head too much to reinvent their wheel.

Other than that, I use a couple of guitars that have Sustainers and active mids boosts, and I have some HSH superstrats that have interesting switching choices.

A lot of producers these days are calling in guitarists only for parts that call for a LOT of guitar or parts that require specific things that only a guitarist can do. Otherwise, they'll simply do the part on a keyboard (and yes, there are Strat and LP and "Metal" software packages that will do some pretty spectactular and bang-on guitar riffs, complete with performance bits like string scratches, bends, dive bombs, vibrato, hammer-ons, lift-offs, yada yada). A lot of producers don't want to go through the process (and expense) of paying for cartage, musician time, studio time, etc., and then spend half a day trying to communicate to a guitarist what, exactly, it is that they want only to find that the guitarist isn't capable of providing it.
So I've sent out a few emails to some local session guys and a producer hopefully I get some responses soon, but knowing them it won't be for a while. If you guys would like I'll post some of the responses.