5 13%
As above plus carved top or binding
8 21%
Carved fancy timber and binding, a little bling
6 16%
All the above, plus lotsa bling - neck inlays etc
7 18%
Voters: 38.
Depends on the guitar. I prefer the PRS S2 Standards, Mira, Starla, and Vela (with dots) over the Core and Private Stock guitars. But a Les Paul without binding and trapazoid inlays just looks wrong. I also hate Les Pauls with highly figured tops. When it comes to bling, I think it's important to look classy without being gaudy. But my favorite guitars are the ones that look more stripped down so I voted for the first one. I think it's important for a guitar to still look good after 30 years of use when it has some dings and battle scars.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Mar 2, 2016,
I voted all of the above in the poll...and in real life.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Generally frankenstein'd. The more blasphemy the better, I say as the man who routed out a custom Esquire to fit a Classic 57' because TOAN.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 3, 2016,
I love pretty guitars. Love elaborate inlays, but all my guitars have pearloid dots (sigh). I love pretty guitars, but paying a fat premium for being pretty when I can get almost the identical guitar for half the price...well, obviously I'm going to save the money.
I think the words "fancy" and "bling" in this case indicate a negative connotation and a bias on the part of the TS, and influence the poll. The implication is that you're a girlie-man if you prefer higher-end appointments on a guitar.

I believe in "buy once" on most things. My first keyboard was a Hammond B3, my first guitar was a Gibson ES335, both gently used when I bought them. I don't believe in buying cheap crap, especially not for beginners, but the definition of "cheap crap" isn't really an indication of price as much as of a level of reasonable quality.

I'm not a fan of flat black anything, so I don't have any. I appreciate carefully selected woods and the workmanship of binding, inlays and finish and I have a few guitars that are at or near the top of their scales. OTOH, finish isn't all that important to me compared to functionality. As a result, I have far more black guitars (not *flat* black) than I care for.

I'm also not very good about jumping on a bandwagon, and I'll often pick guitars that aren't what everyone else is buying.
Quote by dspellman
...my first guitar was a Gibson ES335.

Route it out for a tele bridge. That'd be hot.

It depends on the guitar I like quilted/flame tops but most of my arsenal are simple paint either plain solid color or metallic, I am also a fan of carved tops. I prefer some contouring on the back, as well the front if it has a flat top, I like binding but not on all guitars.

That said I do like some quilt tops with high gloss transparent finishes with abalone binding and inlays, but I wouldn't want to own more than one of them (I currently don't own any of them)
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 3, 2016,
I prefer a more simple look but in a nice color. My Musicman is fairly simple, but the green finish is breathtaking when it's all polished up.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Totally depends. I'm a Tele guy first of all, and I generally like to keep it basic but I'm absolutely here for double-bound bodies. Gold hardware on Teles and Strats is also something I can get on board with, especially once it starts to wear down. Still, I guess on the whole I err on the side of functional simplicity. Even so, I have a big soft spot for big hollowbodies with tonnes of bling, block inlays, binding and what have you.

So yeah, varies a lot. But in practice I tend to go for relatively straightforward, functional guitars.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I like a wide range, and I'm probably more particular about my fretboards than I am about the body. I want a fretboard to have nice wood (preferably maple, but I do like others too), plain binding and whatever the signature inlays of the manufacturer are. Given I'm a big Jackson fan, that's generally sharkfins. On the sorts of guitars I like, seeing regular central dots usually signifies it as a 'cheap' model and that puts me off. (Of course these binding and no dots requirements are set aside for Fenders/Charvels!)

On the body I like simple single colour gloss finishes, all the way through to nice stained figured wood. Anything goes really.

The 'gaudy' features that I don't like are things like over the top abalone (or similar) neck and body binding, like you see on some companies' more expensive import lines - as if they need to have more fancy cosmetic features to justify their price. I just think it makes them look tacky. Leave that stuff off, and the guitars look like much more classy instruments.
Quote by dspellman
I think the words "fancy" and "bling" in this case indicate a negative connotation and a bias on the part of the TS, and influence the poll. The implication is that you're a girlie-man if you prefer higher-end appointments on a guitar.

OK What terms would you choose to convey my meaning in a couple of words? I'm would be happy to change them.

"Girlie" never crossed my mind at all.* I think that musical instruments have been seen at least partly as visual art objects ever since they were invented, and electric guitars are no exception. OTOH, associating "fancy"with feminine is a product of only the past 120 years or so. It happens that I view guitars as working tools and prefer minimalism where aesthetics are concerned. The same is also true for things like cars in my case.

*I'm a nerd, not the macho type at all.
Last edited by Tony Done at Mar 3, 2016,
depends upon what for:

death metal: gotta be black and pointy. floyd rose and emg. jackson and charvel

other stuff: vintage. whatever spec. the guitar comes with. seems to be usually gold plate with block inlay or dots.

acoustic: vintage. no shell. parlor and 000, old and beat up.
Last edited by ad_works at Mar 3, 2016,
Quote by ad_works at #33863572
depends upon what for

I'm in this boat too.

I mean if I am buying something like a Les Paul, I want it to be what I imagine a "proper" Les Paul would be. A 50s style build (Nice burst, 1 piece back, long neck tenon, drilled in ABR, 50s wiring)...

If it's something like a guitar for heavy metal, I usually prefer really stripped down looking guitars unless I like the particular look of a really bling'd out one.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by dspellman

I believe in "buy once" on most things. My first keyboard was a Hammond B3, my first guitar was a Gibson ES335, both gently used when I bought them. I don't believe in buying cheap crap, especially not for beginners, but the definition of "cheap crap" isn't really an indication of price as much as of a level of reasonable quality.

I'm not a fan of flat black anything, so I don't have any. I appreciate carefully selected woods and the workmanship of binding, inlays and finish and I have a few guitars that are at or near the top of their scales. OTOH, finish isn't all that important to me compared to functionality. As a result, I have far more black guitars (not *flat* black) than I care for.

I'm also not very good about jumping on a bandwagon, and I'll often pick guitars that aren't what everyone else is buying.

"I think the words "fancy" and "bling" in this case indicate a negative connotation and a bias on the part of the TS, and influence the poll. The implication is that you're a girlie-man if you prefer higher-end appointments on a guitar. "

only to you, and it didn't seem to stop you from posting either.

if you must, substitute "fancy" and "bling" with say, "ornate" and leave it at that.
Last edited by ad_works at Mar 3, 2016,
should have been a i don't care that much option. sure i like some guitars with nice tops etc but i've never gone out of my way to get them. my main strat is black and boring on the other hand my BC Rich eagle has a quilted maple top and of course the cloud inlays on the fretboard. i tend to buy my guitar for how they play and sound over looks.
Quote by dspellman
I'm not a fan of flat black anything, so.

really? i think it has it's place.

*i do not own that car, i just copypasted from google images.

Quote by JELIFISH19
Depends on the guitar.

i agree with this.

that said, gold hardware should only be on korina flying V's.

carry on.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 3, 2016,
Satin black or glossy white will do fine. I'm not even a fan of neck/headstock bindings, especially cream binding that makes a new guitar look old. I would like though for someone to come up with colored bindings. That may change my mind. I despise pickguards even more so if they are glittery, marine life inlays and whatever other weird stuff they do. Funky woods isn't my thing but I could live with it.

I wonder now what color dspellman's Lambo is...
Quote by gregs1020

i agree with this.

that said, gold hardware should only be on korina flying V's.

carry on.

And I agree with THIS! That is the only guitar with gold hardware that I don't find gaudy as hell.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'm never buying a super fancy looking guitar again after getting my Les Paul Custom, I spend more time cleaning and polishing the damn thing than playing it, the littlest finger print or speck of dust aggravates the living shit out of me.

From now on it is simple workhorses for me, Ibanez RGs and shit.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
it's the beauty of having over 10 guitars , you can a little bit of everything , plain and fancy
Quote by JustRooster
Route it out for a tele bridge. That'd be hot.

That's hysterical.

Naw, I'm only just warming up to teles (and at this rate, I'll have a tele no later than summer of 2030). It's not that I don't like the sound; I've been playing tele models on the Variax guitars for years now, and they're actually very good. I just haven't picked out the particular IKEA cutting board and random baseball bat I want to build it out of.

Besides, that "first guitar" 335 is a 12-string and has blocks, not dots. It does have that basic finish, though.
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 4, 2016,
I like that my esquire doubles as a home-defense weapon. That thing is rock solid.
Really depends on the guitar for me. I like the regular cherry red SG's that show grain a lot for those guitars, but I don't like grain on Strats, for instance. For most Fenders, I really like a special solid color with a matching headstock. On a Gretsch, I'd always get the sparkly drum-wrap style top. On a superstrat, I like some flame with an all natural looking back. On a Les Paul, I like the combination of a little flame and some regular grain (or solid goldtop). Etc etc for different models.

In general, I do prefer 1 color, either solid or with some grain coming through.
Quote by JustRooster
I like that my esquire doubles as a home-defense weapon.

Then you need some FLCL in your life. If y haven't seen it, here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tYLzFxoW2Y&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dementiacaptain
And I agree with THIS! That is the only guitar with gold hardware that I don't find gaudy as hell.

right? ok, maybe a korina expolorer as well but that's it.

besides a moderne.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I prefer plain so I dont get worked up over dings and scratches. Or if it's a flame or quilt top, it doesnt need to be a 10-top like PRS's.
^^^^ Although I'm a dingophobe in the way I treat guitars, I don't mind buying them in beat-up condition. In fact, it is a plus for me, because then I don't mind adding a few more dings. A few weeks ago I knocked a piece out of the headstock of my old Gibson. It didn't bother me in the least, I just glued it back in, with minimal attention paid to cosmetics. If it had been a neat-looking guitar, I would have been in fits.
It depens really. I mean, i'm a PRS lover (not all of em, some are deffinitely too gaudy!). But i love me some flamed maple and binding. However, one of my favorite guitars is a plain black 72 tele deluxe, and lately also the black S2 Vela from PRS.

On stage i prefer a plain-ish guitar. Looks cooler. But when i look at my guitars and i see some nice wood and colors, it makes me want to play.