Hello! I started out with a Line 6 Spider. I sold that for a Vox Valvetronix, and more recently played a Fender Super Champ X2 head with 2x12 cab. The Super Champ sounded decent, but no effects loops and ultimately I did not want haul the cab and head separately everywhere I go. So I have sold it and looking for a replacement. I have a $150 credit I can apply to a purchase.

Two amps I have narrowed down:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III used $600~
Pros: First real tube amp I'd own, no fake modelling bs, portable, effects loop, resell value.
Cons: Kinda over my budget, a splurge.

Fender Champion 100 $329
Pros: Cheap af, effects loop, 2x12, loud enough, clean is good for a solid state amp.
Cons: Owning another solid state, no tubes.

Not a serious touring musician by any means I just like to play covers with friends in garage. Typically reggae, punk, rock, ska style. The Champion is more practical for my budget and a great value. However, I recognize the quality of the Hot Rod might be more worth the investment. That is why I am stuck on my decision and would like advice!

Current Pedals:
Electroharmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Boss Super Phaser PH-2
Boss Delay DD-3
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Last edited by hellview96x at Mar 3, 2016,
Is the credit to Guitar center? If you go used a DSL401 can be had for much less (at least $100-$200). Same wattage, better gain range.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
If you are considering the Fender Champion 100, you should absolutely spend some time playing a Fender Mustang IV (v2)!

Make sure you do a Factory Reset on the Amp (Power On while Holding the Exit Button) to assure you are not hearing someone else's Preset changes. The amp will then power up to Preset 00. This is a high gain, heavily configured preset named "Liquid Solo." To get the best out of the box impression of the Mustang MIV, go to Presets 83-99, where the 17 modeled amps are stored in Presets without any FX enabled.

Also make sure you checkout the included 4 button footswitch!

GC typically has the MIV (v2) priced at $499, but has sold them (new) for as low as 20% off (effectively bringing the price to $400)!

To get the best out of the Mustang's absolutely involves a learning curve! If the Mustang's on-board technology is not beyond you, give it strong consideration. Otherwise, know that it is not a plug and play amp for the non-technically inclined!
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Last edited by MusicLaw at Mar 3, 2016,
^That totally sounded like an advert.

Buy the Fender Mustang™ Today!
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Lol
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I own a Fender HRD. The clean channel on the amp is classic Fender. The drive channel is classically bad.

If your plan is to use pedals for your dirt, hat won't be muh of an issue, but if you want access to a nice drive channel on the amp, look elsewhere.

Vox cleans are great, and their dirt channels are better. Worth a look.

But Fender recently produced a better option than the HRD in the Bassbreaker line. If he press is to be believed, Fender cleans + a usable dirt channel. I saw them at GC @1 month ago or so, but haven't had a chance to try them- when I had time to go back and give 'em a go, all of them had been sold out. Not just the one I wanted to try- the 45w combo- but ALL Bassbreakers in the store. Make of that what you will.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The HRD has an amazing clean channel, and is one of Fender's modern classics. It also is amazing with pedals.
I had a Champion before. For a week. Yeah, the HRD is worth saving for.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
insead of the HRD i'd look at the Twin. your try to find yourself a Valveking, the marshall DSL401 is also awesome. sometimes on craigslist and ebay thye go for cheap!
Got HRD II and I'm quite pleased. I play lots of clean and use dirt pedals. When I have events where they require a lot of distorted parts I use a Marshall DSL. It is a very balanced amp with usable cleans, good crunch and lead channel.
Hey I need some help now....I have been playing acoustic and classical guitarguitar before and now planning to get a electric guitar...but I can't make a choice between ibanez gio 170dx or yamahaYamaha rgx121z....pls help ...and this both guitar is a used guitar in pawn shop(it much cheap than original) pls give your though and opinion
HRD, Blues Jr, Super Champ X2 combo (you know this one), Vox AC 15, Laney Cub12, DSL40, All of these amps have tube tone and some balls.

Forget the Champion 100. All foam, no beer.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by kingvinceant
Hey I need some help now....I have been playing acoustic and classical guitarguitar before and now planning to get a electric guitar...but I can't make a choice between ibanez gio 170dx or yamahaYamaha rgx121z....pls help ...and this both guitar is a used guitar in pawn shop(it much cheap than original) pls give your though and opinion

You'll get more help if you start your own thread on this.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'll 2nd, 3rd, whatever on the HRD. I have a California-made early HRD and can't stop smiling every time I play it. The sound is so responsive to how you play. As others have said, though, use pedals for distortion. I'll also put in a good word on the Valveking. I have the 112 ($250 used at Guitar Center). It's not exactly #1 in any one category, but it does a pretty darn good job in a lot of them (clean, a bit of drive and reasonably heavy distortion). It's a more versatile amp than the HRD, IMHO. I use the VK for overdrive and distortion and use the HRD for all my cleans. If I could only have one, it would be a tough choice.