So I was talking to a guitar builder I know and I asked him if he ever thought about getting back into cabinet making & said he had been considering it... Anyway it kind of rekindled an old idea of mine I had about having 3/4 stack (I already got a 4x12 but I want a bottom partially open back 2x12).

I feel like the cons would be the added weight of equipment that needs to moved around, and having that many speakers is unnecessary in the modern era (also the added volume... that could be a pro or con depending on what I want/need).

The pros, more speaker flavor/texture of sound, more frequencies, I feel that the choice of speakers I have in mind would really fill-out and compliment my amp in all the right ways... Also I'd have another Cab to use alone by itself so if I want I could just use/take my amp head and 2x12.

I'm basically looking for 1st hand experience & opinions to either persuade me or dissuade me.

Thanks.

***Here's a thread I did a year ago asking a similar question but my ideas/goals were more ambitions then... ever since taking a break from playing/guitar for the majority of 2015 my perspective has changed - I no longer what such an elaborate setup and just want something that sounds right/feels right and plays how I want.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1667345&page=1&pp=20
doing this means little unless you are able top mic and blend both cabs through a really good PA. even then it may not sound the way you might be thinking.
Cathbard runs (or has run) that sort of setup occasionally, chat him up.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yeah, I ran that way for years. Makes it really easy to get feedback.
Run the 2x12 at 32 ohm and the 4x12 at 16 ohm. That will give you 10 ohms total so switch the amp to 8 ohms.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, I ran that way for years. Makes it really easy to get feedback.
Run the 2x12 at 32 ohm and the 4x12 at 16 ohm. That will give you 10 ohms total so switch the amp to 8 ohms.

Yeah, when i was going thru that old thread you mentioned using a 3/4 stack & that it helped for feedback (an issue that isn't really a problem for me )... But you didn't mention the 32ohm 16ohm thing - why did you run it like that?
If you wire them up that way, you get the same power through every speaker.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you wire them up that way, you get the same power through every speaker.

But my 4x12 has 8ohm speakers in it and there's no way I could wire it to be a 16ohm load (unless I'm forgetting some sort of different parallel/series setup)... what if both cabs have a 8ohm load and I just run it normally?
Then half the power goes to each cab. So the speakers in the 2x12 are working harder.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Then half the power goes to each cab. So the speakers in the 2x12 are working harder.

What about having the 4x12 as 8ohms (like it already is) and having the 2x12 set as 16ohms... could that work and which inputs would you plug them in to (4, 8, 16ohms)?
I used to have a 3/4 stack a few years ago, but it was in a stereo setup. I didn't like running both heads through 1 412, so I added a 212 instead of having another 412. I then just used the 212 when I only used 1 amp. Really nice set-up, but it was too much to carry and didn't fit in my car all too well either.

Running 1 amp through both is something I haven't done, though. But I always liked 612 cabs as well. Not sure how they wire those, but I don't know anything about wiring anyway.
Quote by MindIsMaster
What about having the 4x12 as 8ohms (like it already is) and having the 2x12 set as 16ohms... could that work and which inputs would you plug them in to (4, 8, 16ohms)?

That gives you 5.3 ohms, which should be fine on the 4 ohm setting and give you the same net effect.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
...The Diezel Herbert isn't setup to run two 4ohm cabs just 8 & 16... I think I'd rather just play it safe and run two 8ohm cabs.
Huh? The Herbert has 2 paralleled 4 ohm taps, two paralleled 8 ohm taps and a single 16 ohm tap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Huh? The Herbert has 2 paralleled 4 ohm taps, two paralleled 8 ohm taps and a single 16 ohm tap.

Facepalm... I just had a derp moment.