Hey, I'm looking to downsize my rig and figured you guys might like to help me out.

First of all, I ride a motorcycle and of course, that limits how much luggage I can take to and from gigs.
I play guitar for a classic rock tribute band (everything from ZZ top to Van Halen to The Police...)

My guitar is a fender strat with HSS pickup selection. Really nice guitar, but my current amp is too big to carry around and it's costing a fortune in taxi fairs to gigs. I want to be able to put my entire live rig in my bike's side luggage.

Here's the challenge:
I need your help to find a guitar rig that is small enough to carry on a motorcycle yet powerful enough for live performance. I do not require a cab as we only play in venues with an in-house P.A system. Let's see if we can do it under £500.

Cheers folks!
Based on your requirements of 'no cab' tube amps are out and we are looking at solid state. I would suggest you pickup something like Pod HD that can go directly into the PA, or an amp sim pedal like a Tech21 or a Joyo knock off of a Tech21, which are also able to plug right into a PA. Maybe you could find a used Crate Powerbloc, very small compact (about the size of two guitar pedals) 150W (i think) amp head. The amp sim pedals or the crate will get you your rig for well under your budget. The only thing to keep in mind is that with this type of a setup you won't have an amp speaker to use as a monitor, you will only be able to hear yourself though the PA system.
Yeah, HD500 or similar is probably your best best in that price range.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Line 6 pod 2.0 it will fit in your Gig bag your welcome.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Might a Blug Amp 1 be worth a look? No personal experience of this, but it gets some damned good reviews...
Charvel Wild Card #6
'89 USA Standard Strat
'89 Jap Heavy Metal Strat (HSS)
Tokai Breezysound
'08 Gibson SG Special Faded
Squier Bass VI
Quote by losing battle
Line 6 pod 2.0 it will fit in your Gig bag your welcome.

while i'm a big fan of the 2.0, he could get something a bit better (like the HD) with his budget. not that the 2.0 wouldn't do "just fine" for this application.

although, he could get a few 2.0's and have back ups for quite some time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Blues Junior with a couple of pedals. Modelers are a terrible idea because you have monitoring issues - i.e. no control and no actual monitor when playing some small venues. A small tube combo is your best bet if you can secure it to the motorcycle.

Another point - modelers are atrocious at blues and classic rock tones, it's really their main weakness.
Quote by reverb66
Blues Junior with a couple of pedals. Modelers are a terrible idea because you have monitoring issues - i.e. no control and no actual monitor when playing some small venues. A small tube combo is your best bet if you can secure it to the motorcycle.

Another point - modelers are atrocious at blues and classic rock tones, it's really their main weakness.

A BJr is 14 kilos and 24cm thick, hardly conveniently motorcycle transportable.

Agreed that modelers don't do dynamics as well as a good blues amp, but for most live performances very few are ever going to notice the difference.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
A BJr is 14 kilos and 24cm thick, hardly conveniently motorcycle transportable.

Agreed that modelers don't do dynamics as well as a good blues amp, but for most live performances very few are ever going to notice the difference.

+1 - Forget draggin around a Blues Jr. - I have it, I LOVE it, but there is no way I could imagine torturing it with a bike ride....

But there IS a way you can go tube and not carry a whole amp., incl speaker. A friend of mine had a Hughes Kettner Tubeman preamp-pedal and for some time he was running it directly to the PA - the Tubeman has a compensated output, which sounds very decent. And it´s definitely within your price limit....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Mar 4, 2016,
Check out the Atomic Amplifire as well. From the recordings I've heard, it does blues and rock tones a lot better than a Pod does. It's less than 500 pounds at Andertons, so it fits your budget. Not sure where else you can get it.
I am a fan of portable digital modelers like Line 6 PODs, Korg Pandoras, and the Boss Micro BR series. Any should work just fine, but I don't know how they sound directly into a house's PA system, though.

A high-end MFX pedal might work, too. If you already have an iPad2 or iPad3, consider the (discontinued) DigiTech iPB-10:

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/ipb-10-programmable-pedalboard

(Yes, it does function without the iPad being docked in it, so you don't have to worry about a tablet under your feet. But if it I isn't, you can't change the way it is set up.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 4, 2016,
A well-massaged pod or other quality DME. Just make sure you get enough guitar in your monitor mix. Lots of players do this and get good results.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Good ideas. I'm not such a massive fan of Line 6 pods though. Some of these other pedals and heads look cool
The are other devices similar to the PODs by other manufacturers, like Korg, Tascam and Boss. They're just not as common. Worth a look, depending on your reasons for disliking the PODs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by AudioMorph
I'm not such a massive fan of Line 6 pods though.

What do you actually KNOW about them? And what does "not such a massive fan" mean, exactly?
Tech 21 fly rig 5 pedal into house system. Problem solved. I use this at church. It works great.
Taurus Amps Stomp Head (power amp size of a pedal):
http://www.taurus-amp.pl/guitar.html

The rest are preamps:

Hughes and Kettner Tubeman II with some select fx:
http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/tubetools/tubeman/

Carl Martin Quattro:
https://carlmartin.com/quattro/

Tech21 Fly Rig:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/flyrig.html

Maybe something with more switchable options, like the TRI-AC, or Doubledrive 3X by Tech21 will do (3 programmable analog settings each and bypass).

Mesa V-Twin is also great but you'll have ot get it used as it is discontinued.

There are also the POD, Boss, Vox, etc. options, if size is a biggie maybe one of the smaller Vox pedal fx.

Or go completely bonkers, and get a iPhone/iPad/iPod and run models with the NI 4 switch pedal.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 9, 2016,
Isp?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/