Hey guys,

I have a Line 6 UX1 that I'm trying to use to record my guitar (Ibanez GRGR121EX) to my laptop with Guitar Rig 5.

I bought new strings and a jack cable today to start experimenting tones but turns out I'm getting lots of unexpected noise from the moment I plug my guitar into UX1, even if the volume knob on my guitar is all the way down.

3 days ago I was experimenting (with old strings and old jack and in a different house/room) and it was getting a signal quite noise-free with almost no noise-gate on Guitar Rig.

I'd love some help figuring out what's wrong.
Here's a noise sample and the settings I was using:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hok8mqrw21g0yfh/ux1%20noise.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrbvc2mgooyyo82/print.png?dl=0

Thanks everyone!
Jack input is unbalanced and non-shielded so will pick up noise/interference, To record an electric guitar properly, you either use a mic placed in-front of the Amp or you invest in a DI box to convert the unbalanced signal into a balanced one (XLR). If you are going with the latter option make sure the jack cable going into the DI box from the guitar is as short as possible

As for the Mic an SM58 should do the job, the quality comes down to the amp in this case and the placement will determine the type of sound you get. There's plenty of info regarding this online.

In the studio we usually record using both methods and then use the DI as a reference when mixing. I hope this helps.

Source: 2nd Yr Music Tech
Last edited by gazzaplays at Mar 3, 2016,
Might be dirty power.
Does the noise also occur when you haven't plugged your laptop in (running on battery only) or in other rooms of your house? Did you try turning away from your laptop? Your pups might be picking up signals from your computer/screen (with high gain tones like the one you're using it becomes very noticeable, just tried it)

Quote by gazzaplays
Jack input is unbalanced and non-shielded so will pick up noise/interference, To record an electric guitar properly, you either use a mic placed in-front of the Amp or you invest in a DI box to convert the unbalanced signal into a balanced one (XLR).

Micing would be better, but he still shouldn't get noise THAT bad from recording straight into the UX1. I have one, and while it's noisier than, let's say a Focusrite with a somewhat decent pre-amp, it shouldn't get this bad. Hell, I used to record my shittiest guitar with a UX1 and I barely got any noise.
Last edited by Rem_Sing at Mar 3, 2016,
Quote by Rem_Sing
Might be dirty power.
Does the noise also occur when you haven't plugged your laptop in (running on battery only) or in other rooms of your house? Did you try turning away from your laptop? Your pups might be picking up signals from your computer/screen (with high gain tones like the one you're using it becomes very noticeable, just tried it)

Micing would be better, but he still shouldn't get noise THAT bad from recording straight into the UX1. I have one, and while it's noisier than, let's say a Focusrite with a somewhat decent pre-amp, it shouldn't get this bad. Hell, I used to record my shittiest guitar with a UX1 and I barely got any noise.

That's true, it could easily be a faulty cable, I'm not familiar with this equipment but the noise could be from the device itself, only way to determine what's the cause is to troubleshoot... I'd go cable first, then try a different guitar/device (that you know works fine).. the volume on the device could be too high which is causing the noise to amplify (as all equipment generates some)...

The joys of recording equipment
Thanks for your replies.

@gazzaplays

I wouldn't call micing the 'proper way' to record guitar, I mean there's no proper way, it's all about your personal taste and the way you want to work. I know a few guys that produce to bands and always used D.I. and make it sound just perfect imo. Anyway familiar to digital amplifiers and that kind of stuff and I don't have an amplifier, I always use UX1 and software to play and record guitar.

@Rem_Sing thanks mate, I'll try that. Anyway I'm playing through headphones and I tried with no audio output at all just to check if the feedback levels were still that and they were. I'll mess around with it and see what happens. Thanks!
Are those active pickups? If so try changing the battery.

Also:

Make sure you do not have a phone in your pocket or close to your guitar. Or any other electronics close for that matter.

Be sure to set your gain levels right. If they are active pickups you probably need to drop the gain down quite a lot than you would with passive pups.

Try unplugging your laptop from the wall, using battery power.

Also, make sure your power/battery settings are not "sagging" power to the USB port and whatnot. When I record I have to be on high performance.

Try moving around the room with your guitar and see if you can find a position where the EMI (presuming it is EMI) is cancelled, and try to locate the offender.
Quote by GusM
Thanks for your replies.

@gazzaplays

I wouldn't call micing the 'proper way' to record guitar, I mean there's no proper way, it's all about your personal taste and the way you want to work. I know a few guys that produce to bands and always used D.I. and make it sound just perfect imo. Anyway familiar to digital amplifiers and that kind of stuff and I don't have an amplifier, I always use UX1 and software to play and record guitar.

I did mention a D.I box along with the miking option, and yes that is true, it really depends on the sound you're looking for
Solved: I just changed to another room and I was able to pick up a signal with no noise at all without even needing to use any noise gate.

This is weird but I'm glad it solved and I hope this can be useful for people having the same problem.

Thanks everyone!
Quote by diabolical
You have a built in Di in this one so there was no need for that. How about trying different power outlet in your room (the one with dirty power)?

I didn't because there's only one outlet near the desk I can plug the laptop, also there are 2 pc's and 2 tv's turned on most of the time on that room, that must be a lot of power going on in a small room, so I think the best option is to play/record in another room to make sure it keeps clean.

Thanks!