I bought a Scarlett 2i4 today to do some covers on youtube etc. but i'm not an expert on recording stuff..

Right now i have my bass directly into my 2i4 interface, but i cant really turn up the volume because it will clip and sound distorted.

Would a D.I box fix this problem ?
Since it is a 2i4, engage the -10db pad (I think it is -10db). Should fix the clipping problem.
Quote by musicians1
I bought a Scarlett 2i4 today to do some covers on youtube etc. but i'm not an expert on recording stuff..

Right now i have my bass directly into my 2i4 interface, but i cant really turn up the volume because it will clip and sound distorted.

Would a D.I box fix this problem ?

No need for a DI if the interface supports high impedance inputs (i.e. instruments).
When I'm tracking bass straight into the interface, I tend to play loudly on the low string about halfway up the neck to get the most bass-heavy sound possible, then set the gain so that it's just barely touching orange.
That way, normal playing should basically never clip.

If the bass you're using is particularly loud, try engaging the pad too.
you can turn up your monitors if you have to, but remember that you typically want to record everything as quietly as you can while still getting the tone you want without any unnatural distortions for a clean, pure signal. this way when you go to mix, you can make it all as loud as you want without having to jump through hoops.
modes are a social construct
I have the exact same interface.
Plug in your bass. No amps, no nothing!
Use an amp vst for bass.
(I guess you can go raw, no vst)
And bingo!
Put the thing about halfway, just make sure it doesn't clip. It's the exact same concept with putting a microphone into the interface.
Thanks for the tips, using the pads works just fine.

Any tips on how to record along with a song ? whenever i record along with a song in ableton live 9(mp3 file) the mp3 is always louder then my bass and for some reason my bass track is slighty slower then the mp3 track...
I found a solution by using a VST cab/amp. it works for me but i'm getting latency whenever i use it..
Quote by musicians1
Thanks for the tips, using the pads works just fine.

Any tips on how to record along with a song ? whenever i record along with a song in ableton live 9(mp3 file) the mp3 is always louder then my bass and for some reason my bass track is slighty slower then the mp3 track...

you can adjust the volume of each individual track.
modes are a social construct