I'm looking at two 2x12 cabs on Craigslist and I'm not sure which speaker would work better for my style of playing. 1 cab has a V30 and Classic Lead 80 and the other cab has 2 Greenback's.

I tend to play heavier fuzz/distortion tones and i don't tend to like piercing high strings....

I've been looking at reviews and reading alot about the 2 speakers but I'm not sure which would be better suited for me.

My playing ranges from Sleep to Every Time I Die. I like big crunchy riffs....

Any suggestions?
Last edited by clickclickbooml at Mar 3, 2016,
V30 all the way. Greenbacks are for more vintage tones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah V30's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What are you running for a head?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I made a quick demo with both (using an amp sim).
Personally, I prefer v30s for almost everything. They just cut through every mix and don't get muddy. They also sound nice and tight.
If you want a slightly less harsh sound, you could swap one of the v30s for a Creamback H (Periphery uses this combo in their cabs).

https://youtu.be/RrK3xNo5lhA
Really depends on the amp. Keep in mind the wattage rating of the cabs. The cab with the greenbacks is only going to be able to handle 50 watts. The cab with the V30 and Lead 80 can handle more power - 120 watts. You have a lot more flexibility for heads with a higher wattage rated cab.

There are plenty of metal guys out there who use greenbacks.
The V30 Lead 80 cab is going to be more modern sounding.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Really depends on the amp. Keep in mind the wattage rating of the cabs. The cab with the greenbacks is only going to be able to handle 50 watts. The cab with the V30 and Lead 80 can handle more power - 120 watts. You have a lot more flexibility for heads with a higher wattage rated cab.

There are plenty of metal guys out there who use greenbacks.
The V30 Lead 80 cab is going to be more modern sounding.

this was pretty close to what i was going to post.

most likely the V30/Classic 80 cab is going to provide more range of tones and more flexibility than the G12M-25 cab.

personally i am not a fan of V30's and would pick the G12M cab but this advice is not about what i like, it's about what is most likely the better choice for you.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Greenbacks sound like garbage. They mud up the sound and feel muffled. V30's are a godsend.
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
I'm leaning towards the V30/Lead 80 combo, but it's not as clear cut as one might think.

You mentioned Sleep, and Greenbacks are imo pretty nice for stoner type tones. It also comes down to the amp a lot. I've played a couple modern hi-gain amps through Greenbacks (and derivatives) and they did sound great through them. Not much fizz at all, like one might expect.

A V30, however, will cut through any mix and can help you make even comparably timid amps sound aggressive. It's just really good in a band context.

Quote by zbest
Greenbacks sound like garbage. They mud up the sound and feel muffled. V30's are a godsend.

I guess that's why they were used in the cabs for the Framus Cobra, which is a dedicated hi-gain amp. Presumably the engineers who decided on that must be a bunch of howler monkeys.
Quote by zbest

Don't agree. I use one with my Vox head and it chimes.
Quote by zbest

tell that to Splawn who uses a greenback clone in their cabs (small block). His amps sound pretty damn articulate even with tones of gain.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks everyone! I'm going to check out the V30/Classic 80 cab tonight. Currently running a Marshall MG 15Lead....just sold my 6505 head and going to eventually get a jcm2000. The impedance on both speakers BTW is 8.
Quote by clickclickbooml
Thanks everyone! I'm going to check out the V30/Classic 80 cab tonight. Currently running a Marshall MG 15Lead....just sold my 6505 head and going to eventually get a jcm2000. The impedance on both speakers BTW is 8.

You...you what?
I think this is a joke, but I'll leave this here just in case.
6505>JCM 2000>A jar of bees next to a megaphone>>>>>>>>>MG
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead

You...you what?

I downsized because of apartment playing. I was never a fan of the 6505, it was too punchy and I wanted to get more of a fatter sound. I turned into more of the Orange/Marshall fan.

My MG is just to hold me over for the time being. Still looking into different head options.
i'd probably lean towards the v30/cl80 combo- that's a nice combo that works well together and is very versatile.

that being said, assuming the greenbacks are high enough wattage for your head, that doesn't mean the gbs would be a terrible choice if you just happen to like them or if they suit what you're playing (I don't know anything about stoner metal).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No point in buying a cab if you plan to power it with an MG All speakers will sound universally terrible.

When you get a real amp, get V30s
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Haha, Crackhead

You...you what?
There are plenty of people that will prefer a JCM2000 over a 6505. Your comment is twisted by personal preference only. Gary Moore used a JCM2000, not a 6505 - for obvious reasons. I myself would take a DSL100 over a 6505 every time too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I picked up the V30/CL80 amp i mentioned before. It sounds absolutely killer! The guy I bought it from too got me a hook up with a guy with some old Sunn and Traynor heads! Love this cab.
Quote by Cathbard
There are plenty of people that will prefer a JCM2000 over a 6505. Your comment is twisted by personal preference only. Gary Moore used a JCM2000, not a 6505 - for obvious reasons. I myself would take a DSL100 over a 6505 every time too.

I never said the JCM2000 was bad. I just said the 6505 was better. Sure, each amp would be better at doing different things. However, the word "better" is generally always attached to the opinion of the person saying it. Anyway, the comparison between the 6505 and JCM wasn't exactly the focal point of my post.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by zbest

it is amazing how many good guitar players have chosen the G12M-25 speaker. to say they sound like garbage is a pretty ignorant statement and completely ignores how many Hendrix, Zepplin, AC/DC, etc albums were made with these speakers.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
it is amazing how many good guitar players have chosen the G12M-25 speaker. to say they sound like garbage is a pretty ignorant statement and completely ignores how many Hendrix, Zepplin, AC/DC, etc albums were made with these speakers.

How can it be ignorant? I know very well that its used, and I have used one myself. In my opinion, it's an awful sound compared to the v30. You can make great albums that have bad audio quality. There's a lot more that goes into a recording then the speakers. Arguable, the mix has MUCH more impact on sound and clarity. In a live scenario though, the v30's are night and day with the greenbacks. And this is from a guy who plays through a 100w 5150 head which was designed to play with the greenbacks.
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Quote by zbest
How can it be ignorant? I know very well that its used, and I have used one myself. In my opinion, it's an awful sound compared to the v30. You can make great albums that have bad audio quality. There's a lot more that goes into a recording then the speakers. Arguable, the mix has MUCH more impact on sound and clarity. In a live scenario though, the v30's are night and day with the greenbacks. And this is from a guy who plays through a 100w 5150 head which was designed to play with the greenbacks.

How can a blanket statement as general as "greenbacks are garbage" not be ignorant? I push several heads into GB loaded cabs regularly. I prefer V30's for metal, especially if i am down tuning. Actually I prefer k85's over both. I feel that saying "i prefer _____ over greenbacks." would be a better statement.

Also, gumbi knows his speakers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I recently went from V30s to WGS Reapers and Invaders (both greenback style speakers) for my doom rig. I couldn't be happier. V30s are fantastic speakers for all kinds of heavy music, but for Sleep etc. I highly recommend greenbacks or similar. All of the things that make V30s great for modern metal are exactly the things you don't want for doom and stoner fuzz tones. They're really tight and responsive with plenty of top end. If you're concerned about the treble strings being too piercing, go with greenbacks.
Quote by Stickymongoose
I recently went from V30s to WGS Reapers and Invaders (both greenback style speakers) for my doom rig. I couldn't be happier. V30s are fantastic speakers for all kinds of heavy music, but for Sleep etc. I highly recommend greenbacks or similar. All of the things that make V30s great for modern metal are exactly the things you don't want for doom and stoner fuzz tones. They're really tight and responsive with plenty of top end. If you're concerned about the treble strings being too piercing, go with greenbacks.

the reaper series is not a Greenback clone, it is a G12h30 clone which is more modern sounding than a Greenback

But yeah that combo for speaker types is great for stoner, but TS also wants to do metalcore like ETID which would benefit from speakers like the V30 that are extremely tight
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate