Do these rigs, especially the HD's, have a dynamic response to volume? Meaning do they clean up with less volume from the guitar pot? Also, is there a dynamic response according to how hard the strings are picked?
Some amp models are better, some worse, but yes they do have that to an extent. Just don't expect them to handle like a real tube amp.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
As you suggest, not all PODs are the same. In a word, though: yes. They do.

In a longer answer, it shouldn't be surprising that the newer and higher end models achieve this more successfully. It's obviously something Line 6 is actively working on, since it's always been one of the main complaints about areas where modeling falls short. In general the POD models aren't as responsive as the amps they're trying to model, but they are designed to be dynamic and with a bit of tweaking you can usually get them to respond fairly realistically.
Quote by columbiar
Do these rigs, especially the HD's, have a dynamic response to volume? Meaning do they clean up with less volume from the guitar pot? Also, is there a dynamic response according to how hard the strings are picked?

Yes, of course.
Yes, they got that part down. When I had my HD (I use a Fractal now), I was amazed at how touch-sensitive it was. I was also amazed at how some of the models sounded and responded like re-eq'd other models. This was purely in the EQ, not the dynamic response which was excellent.