Just that really. This used to be a thriving forum but has gradually shrunk so that some days there are no posts. Are all the bands out there operating smoothly or has something else happened?
Same thing that has happened to the rest of the forums. It's just slowly dying. Only the biggest forums get regural traffic, a lot of the smaller subs are pretty much dead.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Same thing that has happened to the rest of the forums. It's just slowly dying. Only the biggest forums get regural traffic, a lot of the smaller subs are pretty much dead.

I guess that's right, maybe it's time to cut some of the sub forums down to size and maybe rationalise the forums so the fewer people that join in are concentrated in fewer places?
I was thinking the same thing a while ago. I think this place needs a new sheriff, and it ain't gonna be Reggie Hammond.
Most of my grindcore inspiration comes from my hard drive.
Quote by Freunleven
Or maybe the recurring advice of "talk to your bandmates" or "sounds like you need a band meeting" sunk in for everyone. It seems like that's what most of the problems came down to.

True. A lot of forums seem dead now. There are also a lot of online communities as well, taking away from these general forums, like Tom Hess and Schwilly Family Musicians.
Quote by Jeremy.R5544998
True. A lot of forums seem dead now. There are also a lot of online communities as well, taking away from these general forums, like Tom Hess and Schwilly Family Musicians.

Yep. It's not just this place, it's just about every forum of this type on the net (vBulletin, phpBB, etc) that is in decline or seems to be in decline.

It's not because less people are using the internet to reach out; there are more people than ever doing it. It's because increasingly people use their cell phones for internet and because of the so-called "social media" sites. Forums such as this are designed for "long form" posting, as it were. People are less likely to peck away at their phones for a relatively long post (such as this one) when they can use something as simplified as Twitter to tap out postings that are about as long as t-shirt slogans or bumper stickers. You won't see too many 150-word messages being composed on a phone.
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Quote by Standard_A440
Yep. It's not just this place, it's just about every forum of this type on the net (vBulletin, phpBB, etc) that is in decline or seems to be in decline.

It's not because less people are using the internet to reach out; there are more people than ever doing it. It's because increasingly people use their cell phones for internet and because of the so-called "social media" sites. Forums such as this are designed for "long form" posting, as it were. People are less likely to peck away at their phones for a relatively long post (such as this one) when they can use something as simplified as Twitter to tap out postings that are about as long as t-shirt slogans or bumper stickers. You won't see too many 150-word messages being composed on a phone.

Yep, I guess you are right, I like the forums but I'm quite a serious person I suppose. At any rate I'm keen to share ideas and learn from people who know more than me. I had great advice here when I first started playing. Twitter and the like don't really provide for that.

One Forum that is still flying is Basschat http://basschat.co.uk/ so maybe it's something about bassists

I wonder if they ought to cut down on the forums a little, concentrate the fewer people that come here into smaller livelier groups. I come to Bandleading to chat about all the aspects of playing live music. With 19 separate forums here we are spread a bit thin.
Strangely I only noticed this part of the forum about a month ago. It really needs it's own category on the main page where it can be seen easily. To be cynical maybe there is just more talk about wanting to play live and less people actually doing it. I don't mean that to be a dick about it but maybe it's just not a goal for many players. I just gather that because I rarely see talk about owning PA systems and upgrading PA equipment that you would need to own (or rent) to play live on a regular basis. Often threads about PA system are referring to using someone else s PA or doing shows with a number of other acts that sound more like a showcase than an actual live gig.

I like the idea of discussing working in a live situation and the pluses and minuses of being in a band in all it's physical and interpersonal aspects.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
Strangely I only noticed this part of the forum about a month ago. It really needs it's own category on the main page where it can be seen easily. To be cynical maybe there is just more talk about wanting to play live and less people actually doing it. I don't mean that to be a dick about it but maybe it's just not a goal for many players. I just gather that because I rarely see talk about owning PA systems and upgrading PA equipment that you would need to own (or rent) to play live on a regular basis. Often threads about PA system are referring to using someone else s PA or doing shows with a number of other acts that sound more like a showcase than an actual live gig.

I like the idea of discussing working in a live situation and the pluses and minuses of being in a band in all it's physical and interpersonal aspects.

Hi Rick, yes I notice we keep cropping up in the same places

Ultimate Guitar is a tabs site so I would guess most of it's visitors are just starting out, but most guitarists dream of gigging so you'd think a forum where you can talk about all the practical problems of gigging would be invaluable.

To be a success it would need to be better signposted though, 'Bandleading' is a bit unclear as a title.

Let's hope the mods are reading this and passing information up the chain.