Hey guys,

Im in such a trilemma :p

Here's the prices i find

(1) '50 reissue : 513e
Gibson SG Tribute 50s Vintage Sunburst

(2) 2016 Special T : 760e
Gibson SG Special 2016 T 6-String Electric Guitar Satin Vintage Sunburst | DV247

(3) Special Faded : 760e (i could find it near ~500+ euro used)
Gibson SG Special Faded 2016 T 6-String Electric Guitar Worn Brown | DV247

I mostly want this guitar to play stoner style stuff, more heavy full riffs, and it's going to be fuzz'ed ! no distortion , no amps, just fuzz.

I know from my john mayer stratocaster that single coil sound beast through fuzz , humbuckers sound kinda "overdistorted" through fuzz...

I think that a p90 would serve me pretty well in that situation , but as you see from my 3 way solution there.

(1) HAS p90's , has good price, but i hate the fact that it doesnt have a pickguard and i am a bit concerned about losing it's (low) value if i put one :S - Im also concerned about sound (help please?

(2) i love the sunburst , has mini humbuckers , i love the pickguard ,it's great, but ill have to put p90's init so +$$$

(3)Same as (2) not so much love but still like the worn wood tons,but has humbuckers too :S

guys Help me, with any input, every opinion is highly appreciated.

i feel lost.
I think there are other considerations.

Is the SG you're looking at neck heavy? Many are. It's unwonderful to have to support the neck with the palm of your fretting hand.

P90's may be noisier than you like, especially when fuzzed.

The SG has a relatively short scale, which will often sound a bit muddy if you downtune.

FWIW, there are mylar "soft" pickguards that you can put on the guitar to prevent pick scratches. They're invisible and/or they can be peeled off and put back on the guitar repeatedly AND they're cheap. Acoustic players use them all the time. EBay.

Mini humbuckers sound different from standard size humbuckers. You'll want to listen carefully before you dismiss them and toss in P90's. In particular, they have less noise than a P90, but you may also decide that they sound better.

You might want to pack some money away for noiseless P90's. The best of the bunch are Kinmans, but if you're already cheaping out on the guitar, you probably won't love the price.

Consider an Epiphone version of the same guitar (unless you're devoted to "Gibson" on the headstock), especially if you're going to be running the thing with fuzz most of the time.
For a bit more money you could get the 2016 LP 60's tribute which has a pick guard and P90's.Or maybe find one preowned?
guys thank you so much, dspellman, i heard you man!

The minihums on 2016 T are AMAZING im literally in love, i have butterflies since i saw the review video, but the thing with the short scale frightened me a bit, i mean the way i listened to the mini's were super nice smooth punch , very nicely balanced out frequencies, and fat and full individual strings ready for riffs and stuff... Actually it's the first time i hear a Gibons guitar SO good, it's world class man.

But what about short scale & fuzz and drop C tuning, i might go up to drop D but im sceptical :P
In no particular order...

1) Well, I was beaten to it, but I'll still say it: miniHBs sound different from their regular sized cousins. In some ways, they sound like hum-cancelled P90s...but not quite.

2) The muddiness of downtuning a 24.75" or shorter-scale guitar can be somewhat offset by using heavier strings. I've had several 24.75" scale (and longer) guitars tuned to CGDAEG without issue.

3) IME, SGs and many of their clones can be neck heavy, as was mentioned. It isn't too big of an issue with the right guitar strap: "E AHO LAULA!" ("Wider is better!") Still, it is setting worth considering.

Just remember, Tony Iommi uses SGs with P90s, and tuned C#F#BEG#C# for "Into the
Void", and that sounded alright, didn't it?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
My favorite thing about Gibson is there was no SG made before the 1960's unless it was a prototype, so how in the hell can they make a 50's re-issue?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
My favorite thing about Gibson is there was no SG made before the 1960's unless it was a prototype, so how in the hell can they make a 50's re-issue?

Gibson's answer to this is that if a 50's SG were to really exist, then the 50's reissue is what it might've been like.

I agree that they cannot call a guitar a reissue if the original never existed though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Just remember, Tony Iommi uses SGs with P90s, and tuned C#F#BEG#C# for "Into the
Void", and that sounded alright, didn't it?

a bit more than just alright hahaha.

I don't have many problems with the neck dive , before my strat i used to own an SG prophecy and it was a cool guitar, but the looks and inlays killed it for me, the neck was blistering fast, you could play without even picking but i just couldn't look at the thing anymore.

So i do dig the SG style and all that, but i want better looks to want to play the guitar.I think it's a very big deal!

As far as the size of the string goes, im playing with 10's atm, easily 11's and i think i could go to 12's tho i don't really want to , but i don't think i would have any serious problems going there, after all at C tuning everything is like butter :P.

The main reason i want the SG is to be a work horse , i don't want to carry the JM Strat here and there and be careful on gigs and shit, i keep that for studio work , but rehearsals and stuff should be done with the SG

@Robbgnarly , i think it's more of a "Tribute" to the whole 50's theme , it hasn't got to do with the model and if it was made back then but more with the way the guitars were built...so they put the neck profiles and stuff. Im not 100% sure tho..
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Gibson's answer to this is that if a 50's SG were to really exist, then the 50's reissue is what it might've been like.

I agree that they cannot call a guitar a reissue if the original never existed though.

Oh I agree 100%. I like me a SG, just call it something else
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Agreed that a "Reissue" of something that never existed doesn't make sense.

Maybe..."Faux Retro"?

"Alternative History"?

"Mythological"?

"Sci-Fi"?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz

"Mythological"?

like a Unicorn, it never existed
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Coming to the Gibson 2017, the Legendary SG, featuring double coursed sheepgut strings!
Quote by Robbgnarly

SG = Satyr's Guitar

Quote by dannyalcatraz
SG = Satyr's Guitar

Or SG= Some are Gullible or Someone Gothad
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt