Hey guys. This is my first time buying tubes for my JSX so I just wanted to post what I'm going to get for verification that it should be good or if you guys want to hop in with other suggestions feel free. Here's what I've got right now

JJ KT77 Power Tubes
Tung-Sol 12AX7 / ECC803-S Gold in preamp V1
Shuguang 12AX7-A in preamp V2 and V3
Sovtek 12AX7-LPS in PI

How does it look? I've seen many posts that say to go with the tung sol in V1 so I'm pretty solid on that, the Sovtek as well. It's mostly V2 and V3 that I'm checking on.

Thanks guys!
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Mar 4, 2016,
Shuguang 12AX7-A are crappy 7th gen ones. If you are going to go with Shuguangs, you need to go for 12AX7-C. Personally I'd stick JJ's in there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would just get a regular Tungsol 12AX7 in V1. V1 generally has the most impact on your tone so you may want to look into some fun NOS stuff but if this is your first time changing tubes you might just want to stick with the new, cheaper stuff.

JJ 12AX7 V2 and V3. The Sovtek LPS is fine for PI.

What brand of KT77's are you getting? And you are buying matched, right?
I was going to buy 4 JJ kt77s, I didn't see any options for matched on The Tube Store like I did on eurotube but I'll look for that to make sure they are. If they don't have that option I'll just switch the order over to eurotube.

I heard people say to stay away from the JJ 12ax7s for some reason, I believe they stated they sounded sterile? Not sure. You guys think that would be the better bet though?
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
JJ 12AX7's are the warmest modern preamp tube on the market. They are certainly not sterile.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I now can't find where I read that, but it's fine. I was a bit worried about going with the Chinese ones but that's why I asked! So here's what I've got now.

4 matched JJ KT77 Power amps
Tung-Sol ECC803s 12AX7 Gold Pin High Gain in V1
JJ ECC803s / Hi-Performance 12AX7 (High Gain?)in V2 and V3
Sovtek 12ax7LPS in PI

I switched the order over to tubedepot since they give the option for matched tubes as well as the high gain low noise/microphonic options. Are thosw options good to get? Mt other source says to get the high gain in the tung sol but doesn't say anything else about the other 3 preamps. Leave them normal? Do the high gain option on them to? If I do it on all of them will it be more of a struggle to have nice clean tones? Thanks again guys
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
I don't think you need to worry about the high gain options.

JJ's seem to have more negative reports than other brands. The reason for that is not necessarily bad build or bad sound, but because JJ's are the ones that sell most often. So the more JJ's sell compared to another brand, the more negative reports JJ will have compared to the other brand.

JJ's are fine in most amps and most positions. Some amps that tend to be dark may suit better for a bit brighter of a tube other than JJ, but that is all preference. And a lot of tube swapping deals with nuanced effects in the sound.
I like Tung-Sol 12ax7 tubes in the V1 - no need for gold pin business. Sovtek LPS should be fine in the Phase Inverter. I'd personally put JJ ECC83 tubes in the V2 and V3.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Is this a combo or a head? If it's a combo, don't use a JJ ECC803. They are prone to microphonics. The only real advantage that they have over an ECC83S is that they are low noise which is mostly negated so far down the path anyway.
Personally, if this is a head, I'd stick a JJ ECC803 in V1 and JJ ECC83S in the rest of the preamp. I'd think that a Tungsol would be too toppy in V1 on a JSX. The JJ ECC803 has a touch more top end than a JJ ECC83S but nowhere near as much as a Tungsol plus of course, low noise.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Shuguang is fine if you want higher gain and they have a dip in the lows, why not buy 2 of those and two say EH 12ax7s which are high gain but darker and try these, if you're looking for higher gain which I thought why you'd have that in there.
Man, Shuguang 12AX7-A are the crappy OEM tubes that everybody hates. What you say is true of their 12AX7-C tubes but the A's are total crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd personally go with JJ's across the board, and I'd order them from Eurotubes. Bob has better test gear than almost anyone else selling tubes, and a matched set from him is *really* more closely matched (and tested) than from some others. The issues you may have heard of with JJ's? Those are probably from folks selling his rejects.
i have JJ's in mine and i like how it sounds. i don't see it being too dark either, if it is, i have a hard time imagining that you couldn't dial it out with the EQ. especially because the EQ is active.

i would like to know what you think of it with kt77's. mine has EL34L's in at them moment and i must say i am quite satisfied.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ok so here we go. I believe this will be the final iteration.

I'm going to order a custom JSX retube from Eurotube consisting of

1x Matched JJ KT77 Quad
3x JJ ECC83S High Gain Kit 12ax7s (V1-V3)

and from tube depot or the tube store (whichever one I end up going with) Ill order
1x Sovtek 12AX7LPS (PI)
1x Tung-Sol 12AX7 (V1 alternative)

Then I can switch the V1 between the JJ and the Tung Sol and see which I like better (just in case having all JJs makes it too dark). I also have (assuming they aren't bad) the stock EHX 12ax7s that are in the amp now to really see what I like. (Preamp tubed are plug and play right?)

The reason I'm changing the tubes is because the amp will no longer produce any output. It will turn on and work fine, and I can faintly hear what I'm playing but there is minimal volume and minimal gain. I'm going to hand it over to a tech once the tubes come for a tune up (rebias look over etc) since I am the third owner and it is still stock tubes I'm assuming its never been looked over. Hopefully fairly soon I can post an update about how roaring this thing will sound! Thanks guys!

Cath- It is indeed the JSX 120w head model

Trashed- I'm really looking forward to that myself considering I'm going from stock EL-34s to them. Hopefully they're everything I want them to be!
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Mar 5, 2016,