Hi all,

I just picked up an early 80s stock Fernandes RST-50 '57 (from what I can tell) and it plays amazingly.

I noticed however that the neck/middle position isn't as bell-like as I would prefer. It's there but I feel like it could be stronger. On the flip side, I get plenty of quack from the bridge/middle position.

I have a feeling the pups may be ceramics, and they are definitely not staggered. I'm against replacing them outright at this stage, but can I do anything to increase the bell like tone (a la John Mayer's "Slow Dancing")? Lower the middle pup?

Could anything else be going other I'm not aware of that gives me the quack but not the bell-y tone?

Thanks!
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
If you want that good quack and glass, you'll definitely need the right pickups. The golden standard for that "strat" sound for me comes from Fender Big Dippers, but you could only find those in the John Mayer Strat.

I think close seconds are the 57/62 set, and the Samarium Cobalts. The Cobalts are a lot less quacky but WAY more smooth.

You can fake the glass pretty well with a soft touch in positions 2 and 4.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I don't know that particular one, but from my past experience with Fernandes, most of their guitars- and thus, their pickups- are made with the harder genres of rock in mind. Even their Stratclones are generally like that.

It may simply be that the pickups are too hot & dirty for classic Strat tones.

Of course, you may also find that you can still coax out the tones you desire after working the guitar's controls a bit.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
my first thought would be to lower them a bit and back the guitar tone knob to 6-7 to cut the edge off the top.

just my .02.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Lower them before trying anything else
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Thanks all. From my understanding these are vintage pickups. The RST models were to have been trying to replicate older sounds and aren't the Fernandes of today in terms of grit.

Like I said, the initial sound is there, it's just not as pronounced. I'll keep fiddling with the tone knobs but I do think the pups may benefit from being lowered. Since my concern is on the 2nd and 4th positions, should I be lowering everything or just the middle pickup?
Pickup height, the right amp, and judicious use of the guitar volume control should get you there.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Thanks all. From my understanding these are vintage pickups. The RST models were to have been trying to replicate older sounds and aren't the Fernandes of today in terms of grit.

Like I said, the initial sound is there, it's just not as pronounced. I'll keep fiddling with the tone knobs but I do think the pups may benefit from being lowered. Since my concern is on the 2nd and 4th positions, should I be lowering everything or just the middle pickup?

i always thought you'd get more of the cluck/quack if they were about the same output, so roughly the same height.

but now you have me wondering and i want to pull out the screwdriver and see what gives.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Do it!! I didn't notice a huge change but definitely something. I don't have anything to measure so I don't want to get too squirrely.