Hey! I got a great offer on a JetCity 50/100W amp. I am currently just playing at home. Would this be overkill our could i turn down the volume to 1/2 o clock? Or will this make it sound bad? Thanks!
^Yup. Agreed, furthermore, I have a 50w, 100w and 120w that are all manageable.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I'm happy with my 45w amp sitting 10' from my bed. Just learn tour controls, and you'll be fine.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
A buddy of mine recently bought a 5150 III 50 watt for his bedroom and he is really happy with it.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
There's this novel thing called a volume knob that you can use.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Technically, you can control the amp's volume with the preamp volume. So the pedantry is moot.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Technically, you can control the amp's volume with the preamp volume, but it will also decrease the gain moreso than the master volume would. So the pedantry is moot.
ftfy
In case it wasn't clear enough, we're talking about the overall volume of what comes out of the speakers, not the level of distortion.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Overkill in terms of your max volume needs? Sure. Just turn it down and increase the bass to fill out the sound at lower volumes.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
My JCA50H sounds great at low volumes. You just gotta tweak the EQ a little.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
mine sounds good at low volumes, but it does depend on exactly what you mean by "low volumes".

If you mean whisper volume, where someone in the next room wouldn't hear you, then

If you mean loud TV/action movie on a home cinema type levels, then, to my ears at least, they sound good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's this novel thing called a volume knob that you can use.

Do you think a volume pedal on the fx loop will be just as good as a master volume for overall volume control? I don't think this is irrelevant to the thread topic so I interject, warn me if I am doing wrong...
Quote by highwaystar30
Do you think a volume pedal on the fx loop will be just as good as a master volume for overall volume control? I don't think this is irrelevant to the thread topic so I interject, warn me if I am doing wrong...

I use a volumecontroller in the loop and it works like a charm.
Own the same amp, sounds fantastic at low volumes but much better when loud as expected. =P

Do be mindful of speaker sensitivity, that's what matters probably most in getting an amp to operate at quiet volumes.
Quote by Tony Done
In general, how well to big amps/high wattage speakers work at very low volumes, say, acoustic guitar volume? My H&K is about 20w and works fine.

Read this.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/killing_the_myths_of_low_volume_amp_performance.html

Tl;dr you cannot generalise how amps of higher wattages perform at low volumes. Too many other factors (independent of an amp's wattage) make a difference.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R