Just out of morbid curiosity (if you listen closely, you can hear my checking account screaming at me), if you were to buy an amp to blend with a Mesa Mark V for a big, pretty-damned-distorted, not-quite-metal-but-definitely-right-on-the-loudest-edge-of-hard-rock sound, what amps would you consider?

I feel like the MkV (with 6L6s) is really tight and pretty mid-rangy, so something loose and scoopable (yeah, that's a word now) would fit the bill. A Dual Rectifier seems to be the obvious choice, but I want to keep my options open. Or, would you consider going for something a bit more honky like a Marshall and using the Mesa for lows, maybe dipping the mids a bit?
Depends on the music you want to make. A Mk V can take you anywhere so not sure where else you need to go. Touring rig or local pub gig? Amps are just tools so pick the right tool for the job.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 4, 2016,
Whenever budget is not an issue, the correct answer is Soldano SLO.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I will say, I blend my Mark IIC+ with an old 2 channel Triple Rectifier on the lead channel and I absolutely love it. I use the Mark with lots of gain for my lead sound and then turn off the boost and add the Triple Rectifier for rhythm tones. It's awesome. I'm guessing the Mark V would have a similar result.

That being said, I'd love to hear what happens when you mix a Mark V with a JCM800.
For studio productions I've always gotten great results with Mesa and Marshall and Marshall voiced amps, as the two complement each other, the Marshall slices like knife while the Mesa spreads thick around it, so I'd say some kind of Marshall tube, JCM800, 900, 2000 or Plexi/Jubilee.
Are you talking about using the two amps together for one guitarist?
Or are you looking for something for a second guitarist to blend with the existing Mark V?
Quote by dspellman
Are you talking about using the two amps together for one guitarist?
Or are you looking for something for a second guitarist to blend with the existing Mark V?

I'm thinking 2nd guitarist.
Quote by Ippon
I'm thinking 2nd guitarist.

I got the impression that he was talking running a two amp rig.

tfizzle20: I've never heard a JCM 800 and Mark V mixed. I have however had the pleasure of hearing a Mark III and a JCM 800 as a two amp rig. Very ballsy tone. He ran a two halfstack rig as he was the only guitarist, tone was killer - not thin at all.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
I got the impression that he was talking running a two amp rig.

tfizzle20: I've never heard a JCM 800 and Mark V mixed. I have however had the pleasure of hearing a Mark III and a JCM 800 as a two amp rig. Very ballsy tone. He ran a two halfstack rig as he was the only guitarist, tone was killer - not thin at all.

Yeah, I screwed around with two combos (peavey classic 30 and mesa express 25) and used an A/B split from my guitar. It was actually a very big full complex sound that came from them together. I ran effects through the express 25. With my pedal board and the floor switches for both amps there were alot of buttons on the floor.
Quote by ThunderPunk

That sounds awesome. Yeah, I'm running both of mine into half of a mesa rectifier 4X12 cab. I might have to try that out sometime.

And if the original question is what amp should my other guitarist buy... As I said, I love the Mark for lead tones and then a JCM or Rectifier for rhythm (not that a Mark can't do rhythm, just that for me it shines best for its lead tone). And then when you're doubling a part together, you'll get the awesome combined tone.