MY NEW AMP!!!!

The controls...

The back panel...

The whole shebang:

I've had it for two days now. As you may remember, I've been making threads on "what mini amp" to get for some time now. I finally came to the conclusion that there was no "mini" amp that would truly satisfy me. Either they had a nice clean channel and a "meh" overdrive channel, or vice versa. I wanted very nice cleans as a priority, AND a decent low to mid-gain channel. Well, I've got to say -- the Classic 30 fits the bill, albeit more of a "mid-sized" head.

I haven't had too much time to play with it, but I've had enough to feel like I made the right choice. It came with Ruby 12AX7 (Chinese crap) preamp tubes except for a JJ 12AX7 in V1. V1 is the clean channel, I believe, but maybe it affects the overdrive too (IDK). I've read that V2 is ONLY for the overdrive. I swapped that JJ into the V2 position and the overdrive definitely improved. I next put a NOS JAN 12AT7 in V1 and a JJ 12AT7 in the PI. My ears are F---d right now because of a cold, so I'll be able to tell later how much difference that made.

The verdict:

Cleans are very, very clean and warm, plus they can get LOUD without breaking up. All of my various reverb and delay pedals sound great through this amp. The onboard spring reverb doesn't impress me much. There isn't much depth to it. No biggie -- my Hall of Fame and Afterneath sound amazing. The cleans are a bit dark at the moment unless I run the treble at 7-8 out of 12.

Overdrive is very, very nice. Huge range of usable tones. It's amazing how much ground this amp can cover! At the low end in gain, it gets a nice classic rock/edge of breakup bluesy tone. At the high end, even without boosting it with an OD, it gets into thrash territories; even Slayer levels (it's a bit too loose though without my OD boost and MXR EQ.) It's a nice alternative to my 6505 which is balls-out metal.

Cons:

Not very many, but I should mention them.

--Controls are on the top, which isn't as handy with my pedalboard right in front of my cab. You have to be standing right over it to see the dials.

--Shared EQ between the two channels. This isn't a huge drawback, but currently I need to dial in more treble when running the clean channel, but have to back it off quite a bit for the overdrive, because it gets pretty bright on that channel. I may have to think about getting a brighter tube to run in V1 to try to brighten up the clean channel. I do have two MXR 10-bands; I was going to sell one of them but maybe I'll dial in a setting for the clean channel only and leave it on my board. I like to leave my other one dialed for my 6505 (plus those settings sound good w/ the Classic 30 overdrive.

Overall -- it's a super nice amp! I am currently running it through my 412 cab loaded w/ Eminence Governors and Swamp Thangs.

I will run it through my 112 but I have a crappy Sheffield speaker in that. I will eventually upgrade that speaker -- but kind of looking for suggestions there. I want to try something different from the typical V30 clone or Governor. This amp is meant to cover my non-metal playing needs.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 4, 2016,
Nice un! Are the clean and overdrive channels two separate voicings like the Valveking? Fender for clean, Marshall for overdrive?

Also for speakers: If you're using primarily the clean channel for blues, classic rock, jazz, etc. you might want to go with an American voiced speaker.
nice . no secret i'm a fan of Peavey amps and you certainly can't go wrong with a classic 30. not to sure i'd try to play thrash with it but for basic 70s style hard rock / metal it does the trick pretty well. enjoy
Quote by monwobobbo
nice . no secret i'm a fan of Peavey amps and you certainly can't go wrong with a classic 30. not to sure i'd try to play thrash with it but for basic 70s style hard rock / metal it does the trick pretty well. enjoy

Yeah, I'm not really planning on playing thrash metal on it, but it CAN do it if need be (when boosted with my MXR M77). I've got a 6505 for that.

The hard rock tones, though, are beautiful. I may get a fuzz pedal eventually and try that -- I've never had one.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Very nice.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Will Lane
Nice un! Are the clean and overdrive channels two separate voicings like the Valveking? Fender for clean, Marshall for overdrive?

Also for speakers: If you're using primarily the clean channel for blues, classic rock, jazz, etc. you might want to go with an American voiced speaker.

Cleans are pretty Fendery. And yes, the overdrive is pretty Marshally. It's not too different from my 6505+'s rhythm channel w/ crunch, to be honest (which is also a Marshally tone). It's a fair bit looser and less "thumpy" but has even more harmonic detail in the mids. Sounds great at low volumes or loud as well.

I turned the volume up to "9" yesterday and got into some power-tube distortion...

It is QUITE loud for a 30 watt amp, I must say.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
As for the speakers - what about Creambacks?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
sweet, that will certainly compliment your 6505+ nicely.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Congrats on the new amp! The classic amps are awesome.

My recommendation for a speaker is an Eminence Private Jack. They take a bit to break in, but they sound great out of the box, and even better once they do break in.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
cannabis rex?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
love me some tweed peavey action.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Screamin' Eagle, Greenback for speakers. Very nice amp, probably one of the most solid and nice-sounding amps Peavey has ever done.

Congrats
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Awesome! Love the Classics. I'm dropping off my C50 head today to be worked on, so maybe I can do a new-fixed-amp-day thread to match yours.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
saw one of these on the stage of the Grand Ole Opry. nuff said.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Love the Classic 30, great amps. HNAD fer sure!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Thanks for the compliments guys!

For anyone experienced with these, I'm looking for a little tube advice. The biggest "problem" I'm experiencing now is cleans that are darker than I'd like. I can brighten them up by running the treble at about 8-9 out of 12, but then it's a bit too bright on the overdrive channel.

Is V1 for the clean channel only (I've read mixed reports), or does it service the overdrive channel as well? I've read that V2 is overdrive channel only. What tube would be best for V1? I was thinking a Tung Sol 12AX7 or 5751 since they are reported to be brighter.

Also, the amp is cutting out occasionally. I'm still not 100% convinced it isn't a shoddy connection in my guitar, because it's only happened with one of my guitars. But I may be looking at new power tubes. The ones it came with are Sovtek EL-84s. Does this amp need to be biased, or is it plug and play? I've heard JJ EL-84s sound great, but I'd be open to suggestions. Thanks!
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 7, 2016,
No need to bias a Peavey Classic.

Load it up with JJ tubes in both the power and preamp and pick up a Tung-Sol 12ax7 as well. Test between the two brands in the V1 position. Stick with the one you like best. What speaker you run the amp into makes a big difference in how it sounds as well.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
cannabis rex?

Was my thought as well.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin