So i just got myself a Jackson SLAT 7 string and i have to say i like it. But there is a pretty powerful buzzing sound coming from it when i switch to the bridge pickup. When i put the switch in the middle position it starts buzzing, but not as much as only on the brindge position (makes sense i guess) The neck pickup is fine, completely silent. I checked the grounding wire, but that seems to be soderd on pretty well, and i guess a bad grounding wire would affect both pickups? I also changed the battery but no dice.

The buzzing is very noticable when i play with gain. I cant notice it on the clean channel tho.

The pickups are Seymour Duncan blakckouts, the 7 string version of course. I also checked if maybe i just didnt notice the buzzing before, so i pluged in my other guitars (both with emg 81's on the bridge), and while there is some humming, its still way way less than the Jakson seems to give out.

Im stumped here. I really dont wanna ship the thing back to germany and wait for a new one, because this one plays like a dream, and i dont wanna take a gamble with a different guitar. So any help is very appreciated.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
how many volumes/tones does the guitar have; if it's 2 volume it's an easy fix. But the next question is it solderless gear inside of the guitar or did you solder in the pickups yourself.
It has one volume and one tone pot and a 3 way switch. The inside is sodered together, and i didnt install anything, this is the way the guitar was shipped to me. I got it yesterday actually.
It has been suggested that only one coil of the humbucker works. Is that possible? More importantly, is it fixable.
do you know which model of jackson it is as there is a lot of soloists out there; I owned 10-12 jacksons myself. Some of the best deals on them I had to google relentlessly when I'd see something on a local classified. The big concern is a lot of them you have no idea what model it is unlike say LTD it being on the fretboard or this or that guitar boasts a series or a very "memorable" model number "cough cough" ibanez

Well with actives there is 3 wires
hot lead
ground
and one for the battery portion of the input jack
why I'm mentioning this is it's really hard to mess up a wiring on one

with actives they are built like tanks, blackouts for example are encapsulated in epoxy I remember either Frank Fablo or Derek Duncan (Seymour duncans son) told me this a few years ago. As for EMG pickups though I've had ones from the 70s or 80s before they had quick connects and they still worked fantastically. Unlike passives they are dipped in hot wax it's safe to say that actives can take a lot more heat as what has a better chance of melting wax or a form of glue. Slash for example on one of his guitars he always tours with got this annoying screech out of his guitar and it was the pickups from heat touring hot countries. I've had this happen once to my personal guitars.

anyways .. back to your post.
ok so one volume means that it cannot be a grounding issue which is why i started with asking if it was two volumes. Sometimes something can come undone.

it's safe to assume that the other pickups in the guitar are dead quiet in regards to unwanted hum

blackouts are higher output and louder too. I forget the technical aspects of it but when you play one it's much more aggressive. I've mixed blackouts and emgs on many guitars and for people and had no issues.

one idea i have is kind of crazy but if you're ok with taking the strings off plug the blackout into one of the other quick connects and seeing if the hum is still there. Before you unplug the pickup of course see if the hum is still there. Otherwise there's no point right? If so it would most likely be the pickup.

the way I'd do it is switch the pickups around, so say if my say EMG 60 in the bridge to see if my blackout was working for a second to see if the hum stops. If it doesn't it's the wiring not the pickup. Just an idea of course.

When in doubt contact seymour duncan or try their forum; their customer support email is very quick from what i remember. It's been 5+ years since i had any issues or knew the magic of forums

this will help
http://www.seymourduncan.com/contact-form
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Mar 6, 2016,
The exact model of the guitar is Jackson SLATHXSDQ 3-7 TR. I actually linked it in my first post:
http://www.thomann.de/intl/jackson_slathxsdq_3_7_tr.htm

it's safe to assume that the other pickups in the guitar are dead quiet in regards to unwanted hum

Yes, the neck pickup is completely quiet. It does hum a little in the middle position, but not as much as just the bridge.

blackouts are higher output and louder too. I forget the technical aspects of it but when you play one it's much more aggressive. I've mixed blackouts and emgs on many guitars and for people and had no issues.

Yea, i've noticed this, since i have to roll down the gain on my clean channel a bit so it doesnt start breaking up.

one idea i have is kind of crazy but if you're ok with taking the strings off plug the blackout into one of the other quick connects and seeing if the hum is still there. Before you unplug the pickup of course see if the hum is still there. Otherwise there's no point right? If so it would most likely be the pickup.

I was also thinking that, but the pickups dont seem to be quick connect types. At least in the control cavity, everything is soldered on. Im gonna pull out the pickups and see how they are connected tho, and then we'll see. I dont wanna just go messing with wiring in a brand new guitar cause its still in warranty.

And ill contact seymour duncan, i didint really think of that before. Thanks!