Page 1 of 2
hello people, I need info on these two amps and some related general issues. They sound quite different online... VC30 much better, and that may or may not be simply because it has a bigger speaker. Laney 30 is listed as a class A, the 15 as an AB.
I opened a Laney Cub thread quite recently, but I finally decided I want something that I will like to keep in the long run, and I don't think Cubs qualify. The real problem is that I am a home user mainly and I have a volume problem like many.. I don't know how easy or hard it is to hook attenuators to combos in general and Laneys VCs in particular.
VC30 may be too loud for my situation, but then it has a master volume control and VC15 doesn't have that. Again another mystery for me is whether I can fix that issue by using a volume control pedal on the effects loop. Is it going to be just as good as a Master volume?
Finally I assume I will need some headroom for overdrive pedals to operate well. I intend to get my overdrive more from pedals since I dont want things to get too loud. I wonder if Laney 15 has enough of that headroom, given my circumstance and needs. I didn't use tube amps before so I may be lacking in some fundamentals.
To return to the beginning, I also would like to learn whether VC15 and 30 really have the same fundamental character, with the difference in sound arising purely from speakers.
Thanks a lot...
Quote by highwaystar30
hello people, I need info on these two amps and some related general issues. They sound quite different online... VC30 much better, and that may or may not be simply because it has a bigger speaker. Laney 30 is listed as a class A, the 15 as an AB.
I opened a Laney Cub thread quite recently, but I finally decided I want something that I will like to keep in the long run, and I don't think Cubs qualify. The real problem is that I am a home user mainly and I have a volume problem like many.. I don't know how easy or hard it is to hook attenuators to combos in general and Laneys VCs in particular.
VC30 may be too loud for my situation, but then it has a master volume control and VC15 doesn't have that. Again another mystery for me is whether I can fix that issue by using a volume control pedal on the effects loop. Is it going to be just as good as a Master volume?
Finally I assume I will need some headroom for overdrive pedals to operate well. I intend to get my overdrive more from pedals since I dont want things to get too loud. I wonder if Laney 15 has enough of that headroom, given my circumstance and needs. I didn't use tube amps before so I may be lacking in some fundamentals.
To return to the beginning, I also would like to learn whether VC15 and 30 really have the same fundamental character, with the difference in sound arising purely from speakers.
Thanks a lot...

Alright, I think there's some fundamental misunderstandings here.

1. Both amps are class AB, regardless of what any store or even the manufacturer might suggest. Amps are sometimes wrongly labelled "class A", presumably because the marketing department thinks it sounds nice. (There are class A guitar amps, but that's another story altogether.)

2. Master volumes are usually more effective for home use than attenuators. Attenuators are also expensive. Considering the amps you are looking at and the implied budget, I'd advise you not to bother with attenuators at all.

3. The VC15 has a master volume (as in, a volume control seperate from the gain control). If you look at the control panel, there's a knob that says "DRIVE VOL", this is it. The clean channel doesn't have one, because if it is used strictly as a clean channel, it doesn't need one.

4. You can use a volume pedal like you suggested. However, the overdrive channel already has a volume control that does exactly the same. However, you could probably use the pedal to get some drive sounds from the clean channel at low volumes as well, if you like.

5. "Headroom" is a colloquial term referring to the volume an amp can reach before it starts to distort. Any amp (even little 1w ones) will have enough headroom for home use. Most 15w (tube) units will have have enough headroom for band use even (kinda depends on the band). A 15w amp can be very very loud.

6. Pedals - either amp will work with pedals just fine, I don't understand the issue about headroom you mentioned. Could you elaborate on that?
You might also find that the overdrive channels on these amps are actually pretty nice and work well at low volumes, too. You seem to think you can't get a drive sound out of an amp at low volumes, but that's what master volumes are for. And the amps' drive channels have those.

7. The 15 and 30 are kinda similar, but the speakers make a huge difference still. The 15 is lovely clean and for old-school rock tones, but imo not that good for heavier or more modern distortion tones. The 30 (at least the 12" versions, haven't tried the 2x10") sounds a lot meatier and will handle higher gain tones much better (might need a boost up front or fairly high output pickups to get there though).

You might also consider the Vox AC15 C1 - It's a 15 combo that costs about as much as a VC30, but comes with a better speaker. Not as much distortion on tap as the VC30 though, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: We'd also need to know what music you want to play to give you some proper advice.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 6, 2016,
Quote by TheQuailman
Alright, I think there's some fundamental misunderstandings here.

1. Both amps are class AB, regardless of what any store or even the manufacturer might suggest. Amps are sometimes wrongly labelled "class A", presumably because the marketing department thinks it sounds nice. (There are class A guitar amps, but that's another story altogether.)

2. Master volumes are usually more effective for home use than attenuators. Attenuators are also expensive. Considering the amps you are looking at and the implied budget, I'd advise you not to bother with attenuators at all.

3. The VC15 has a master volume (as in, a volume control seperate from the gain control). If you look at the control panel, there's a knob that says "DRIVE VOL", this is it. The clean channel doesn't have one, because if it is used strictly as a clean channel, it doesn't need one.

4. You can use a volume pedal like you suggested. However, the overdrive channel already has a volume control that does exactly the same. However, you could probably use the pedal to get some drive sounds from the clean channel at low volumes as well, if you like.

5. "Headroom" is a colloquial term referring to the volume an amp can reach before it starts to distort. Any amp (even little 1w ones) will have enough headroom for home use. Most 15w (tube) units will have have enough headroom for band use even (kinda depends on the band). A 15w amp can be very very loud.

6. Pedals - either amp will work with pedals just fine, I don't understand the issue about headroom you mentioned. Could you elaborate on that?
You might also find that the overdrive channels on these amps are actually pretty nice and work well at low volumes, too. You seem to think you can't get a drive sound out of an amp at low volumes, but that's what master volumes are for. And the amps' drive channels have those.

7. The 15 and 30 are kinda similar, but the speakers make a huge difference still. The 15 is lovely clean and for old-school rock tones, but imo not that good for heavier or more modern distortion tones. The 30 (at least the 12" versions, haven't tried the 2x10") sounds a lot meatier and will handle higher gain tones much better (might need a boost up front or fairly high output pickups to get there though).

You might also consider the Vox AC15 C1 - It's a 15 combo that costs about as much as a VC30, but comes with a better speaker. Not as much distortion on tap as the VC30 though, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: We'd also need to know what music you want to play to give you some proper advice.

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, totally what I needed.
The thing is people seem to look for a master volume, and I assumed they want it because they want to control the clean channel's volume independently from the preamp gain. So they get cleaner sound at high volumes and more drive at low volumes in the clean channel. Kind of makes the channel more flexible .
For the second question you noted: I am interested in using a couple of pedals, some Wampler things to be a little more specific , and I again assumed, and people seemed to imply I need pristine cleans for that, so that the pedal and amp's native drive don't mess each other up.
I suspect I misunderstood some of the stuff I read and heard. I havent used a tube amp ever, and I only used a POD for effects.
I think you answered some or all of these issues of mine. I will read it over.
I practice/play pretty much anything from Chuck Berry to Van Halen. So it's hard to cover with a single amp I guess. Low volume and pedals seemed the way to go. I keep a Tele and EVH wolfgang special at this time.
My online observation about VC30s being capable of heavier sounds agree with your comment. I liked that thing better, you suggest all of it comes from the speaker size. Feeling uneasy about getting too many watts into my house, some people strongly disagree with doing that. Some say it doesnt matter.
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Mar 6, 2016,
Quote by highwaystar30
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, totally what I needed.
The thing is people seem to look for a master volume, and I assumed they want it because they want to control the clean channel's volume independently from the preamp gain. So they get cleaner sound at high volumes and more drive at low volumes in the clean channel. Kind of makes the channel more flexible .
For the second question you noted: I am interested in using a couple of pedals, some Wampler things to be a little more specific , and I again assumed, and people seemed to imply I need pristine cleans for that, so that the pedal and amp's native drive don't mess each other up.
I suspect I misunderstood some of the stuff I read and heard. I havent used a tube amp ever, and I only used a POD for effects.
I think you answered some or all of these issues of mine. I will read it over.

A master volume (or "drive volume" as in the case of the VC amps) allows you to control the gain/volume of the pre-amp and power-amp separately, so you can overdrive the pre-amp without the amp becoming too loud. I'm not sure what other interpretations you had about it, but that's all there is to it.

Some types of effects, like reverb or delay, are usually used un-distorted. You would typically either use them in front of a clean amp, or in an effects loop if you do use pre-amp-distortion (the loop sits behind the pre-amp, so effects added here won't be affected by pre-amp-distortion).
Sometimes those types of effects are used with a bit of distortion after them, too, it depends on the sound one's going for.

Pedals like overdrive, fuzz or distortion can be used with or without the amp being overdriven. You can blend these however you like, but most people either just use the amp's overdrive, a distortion pedal, or a clean boost to make the amp distort more than it could on it's own.

You don't need the amp to be perfectly squeaky clean for most effects, though any amp will be able to do pristine cleans at home volumes. It's entirely your choice what you dial in.

Quote by highwaystar30
I practice/play pretty much anything from Chuck Berry to Van Halen. So it's hard to cover with a single amp I guess. Low volume and pedals seemed the way to go. I keep a Tele and EVH wolfgang special at this time.

A VC30 would cover those styles decently. It'll do blues and ligher rock very well on it's own. You might want to look into a clean boost for the Van Halen type stuff (a tubescreamer type pedal with the drive turned down is the most popular way of going about it, and there's plenty of cheap ones out there). Try the amp without any pedals first though, it might just have enough distortion for your needs.

Alternatively, you could go for the Vox AC15 - it comes with a better speaker than the Laney, but I'd recommend getting a good distortion pedal for hard-rock and heavy metal.

Quote by highwaystar30
My online observation about VC30s being capable of heavier sounds agree with your comment. I liked that thing better, you suggest all of it comes from the speaker size. Feeling uneasy about getting too many watts into my house, some people strongly disagree with doing that. Some say it doesnt matter.

I never said the speaker was the only difference. From what I know, the circuits are fairly different, though I can't find a VC15-schematic to confirm this. Either way, I like the 15, wouldn't use it in a heavy metal band though.

Lastly, all amps are loud. The difference between 15 and 30w isn't that big, and every amp mentioned in this thread has a master volume - don't worry too much about wattage.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 6, 2016,
alright that was clears it all... I have more sympathy for Laneys than those Vox's, so I am done, just need to bring myself to pay like 800 dollars for VC30. I am in dept to you.. and other people who tried to help before... have a great year!
ages since i've tried them but i always figured the vc30 sounded better than the 15. dunno whether the bigger speaker or whether the celestion suits it better than a jensen. or just my own preference which you may disagree with.

there might be better value options than laney in the USA, though. traynor ycv50 or 40 maybe. or peavey classic.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The VC15 has great cleans, wasn't so hot on the drive, I'd definitely be using pedals if I got one /will when I get one, am seriously considering it if I can find one at a decent price. As far as I remember it had a lot of headroom, I certainly don't remember even a hint of distortion when I tried it at bedroom levels, and that was with high output humbuckers. Out of the two, I'd only consider the 30 if I was gigging seriously or needed to jam with a very loud drummer. As for master volume, I don't think anything but maybe an attenuator before the speakers would be enough to make the 30 sound reasonable driven at bedroom levels, if the preamp is anything like the 15. But then if you're just using pedals I guess it doesn't matter either way.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Mar 6, 2016,
I am basically decided on the VC 30 within the VC line, it is the better sounding one for me too. There is just this lionheart L5T that sounds great with some pedals on utube, although does not seem to me to have as beautiful cleans as the VCs: It is 5 watts so sounds less intimidating for home use (we learned that is a misconception). It has this popish creamy drive tone of itself... not exacty what I like either.. like pop or fusion type of sound.. sorry Mr Quailman you helped a lot but this is to last until I press the button for one amp in the end. I hope that will be tomorrow though .
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Mar 6, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
ages since i've tried them but i always figured the vc30 sounded better than the 15. dunno whether the bigger speaker or whether the celestion suits it better than a jensen. or just my own preference which you may disagree with.

there might be better value options than laney in the USA, though. traynor ycv50 or 40 maybe. or peavey classic.

I agree VC30 sounds better, I developed quite a utube ear in the past week. I am not in the States, not Europe either but closer... Laney has the better price here
Thanks for the comment I am more into the VC30... just saw how this Lionheart sounded with pedals and it was impressive LT5 might be a smaller good choice...
Quote by highwaystar30
Again another mystery for me is whether I can fix that issue by using a volume control pedal on the effects loop.

Thought I'd step in with a comment on this part of your question. The answer may be no.

I use a VC30 and it has a parallel effects loop, meaning the effected signal from the loop is mixed with an uneffected dry signal. I know that using a tuner pedal in the loop doesn't mute the amp, so I'd guess a volume pedal in the loop won't do what you're after.

However, I notice that the current model doesn't have the effects level controller, so they may have switched to a series loop for the newer versions. Check it out & make sure you know what you're getting.

That said, the VC30 is a great amp and can do home practice levels on it's own.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Thought I'd step in with a comment on this part of your question. The answer may be no.

I use a VC30 and it has a parallel effects loop, meaning the effected signal from the loop is mixed with an uneffected dry signal. I know that using a tuner pedal in the loop doesn't mute the amp, so I'd guess a volume pedal in the loop won't do what you're after.

However, I notice that the current model doesn't have the effects level controller, so they may have switched to a series loop for the newer versions. Check it out & make sure you know what you're getting.

That said, the VC30 is a great amp and can do home practice levels on it's own.

Thanks yes I think newer models have serial loops, I am not sure since when though. Not that I know what a serial loop means, I think I know its good for using digital devices, and you say I need it for the volume pedal (actually I intend to use my Pod live).

Now I have this quite simple but important question... I observe that at the back of these amps there is an 'internal speaker' socket and a plug(jack) going in there. So I believe it must be quite easy to unplug that and put an attenuator in between the amp and the speaker, I would need some extension cables to do that I guess. I understand you and Mr Quailman believe VC30 will do just fine at low volumes and you have immense experience in this topic, some people write they have had serious trouble using it at home- so there must be an element in it that is relative.. I think the same holds for L5t combo even though it is 5 watts... maybe some light attenuation is still helpful to get the best out of the amp, or in the end I feel I need it, so I would be happy to know about that. then its going to be a lot easier to simply go for one of these....
You can use an attenuator with it. Like you suggested, all you'd need is the attenuator and an extra speaker cable.
Since you are going to buy an amp anyway, try it on it's own first and see how that works for you. You can always add an attenuator later.

Thing is, all amps are loud - I can't exactly tell you why, but any amp I've tried needed to be turned up to the level of, say, a loud tv set to sound good. They could all go lower, but there was a point below which they all started to sound very poor.
It's not deafening, but I wouldn't play at that volume in the middle of the night when everyone's asleep.

Don't worry too much - I've got a 50w at home and use it all the time, it's not a problem.

About loops: Parallel loops split the signal so only part of it is affected by the effects in the loop. Both signals are then mixed together at the end of the loop. On most loops like this, you can adjust how much signal goes to the effects and how much stays "pure". On many but not all loops you can set the controls so that all of the signal goes to the effects, making it work like a series loop. If an amp has a series loop, then all the signal will go to the effects in the loop, long as there's anything connected there. This is useful if you want to use e.g. a volume pedal.
Quote by highwaystar30
I agree VC30 sounds better, I developed quite a utube ear in the past week. I am not in the States, not Europe either but closer... Laney has the better price here

ah no worries i just assumed you were in the USA when you mentioned dollars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheQuailman
You can use an attenuator with it. Like you suggested, all you'd need is the attenuator and an extra speaker cable.
Since you are going to buy an amp anyway, try it on it's own first and see how that works for you. You can always add an attenuator later.

Thing is, all amps are loud - I can't exactly tell you why, but any amp I've tried needed to be turned up to the level of, say, a loud tv set to sound good. They could all go lower, but there was a point below which they all started to sound very poor.
It's not deafening, but I wouldn't play at that volume in the middle of the night when everyone's asleep.

Don't worry too much - I've got a 50w at home and use it all the time, it's not a problem.

About loops: Parallel loops split the signal so only part of it is affected by the effects in the loop. Both signals are then mixed together at the end of the loop. On most loops like this, you can adjust how much signal goes to the effects and how much stays "pure". On many but not all loops you can set the controls so that all of the signal goes to the effects, making it work like a series loop. If an amp has a series loop, then all the signal will go to the effects in the loop, long as there's anything connected there. This is useful if you want to use e.g. a volume pedal.

Very generous of you again, nice and detailed answer. I received compliants from neighbors about my guitar playing, so regular talking volume is good for me, loud tv set is not so good, it is ok once in a while. Just to explain my case.
Quote by highwaystar30
Very generous of you again, nice and detailed answer. I received compliants from neighbors about my guitar playing, so regular talking volume is good for me, loud tv set is not so good, it is ok once in a while. Just to explain my case.

This being the case, have you considered getting the amp you want for the times you can use it (gigging, band practices, when the neighbours are out etc) and investing in a separate setup for home use where you can practice with headphones?

A multi fx unit such as the Zoom G3 or a Line 6 POD can be used with headphones & can get you some great sounds - alternatively you can get a USB guitar link for very little money & use PC/laptop based amp sims for headphone practice.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I am not gigging or anything at present, and I have a pod actually, sounds just acceptable with headphones and I do late-night practice with that, and the SS I have is average quality. I have some pedals on my mind I want to use, whenever I can acquire them . I checked out some good quality SS amps but they don't sound to me like anything close to a tube amp.. and finally I also suppose playing with a tube amp will probably improve my playing.
C'mon man the laney thread can't be more than 1500 pages back by now

If you live on your own in a lighthouse then go for the VC30. If you live in a normal house next to normal people get the 15.

2 assumptions here: 1) the amp is suitable for your styles of music (gain up to classic rock levels)
2) you don't see yourself rehearsing with a band (read: drummer) anytime soon - you will struggle for clean headroom.

Otherwise go for it, and enjoy the days when everyone is out and you can wind it up a bit.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo at #33870599

If you live on your own in a lighthouse then go for the VC30. If you live in a normal house next to normal people get the 15.

2 assumptions here: 1) the amp is suitable for your styles of music (gain up to classic rock levels)
2) you don't see yourself rehearsing with a band (read: drummer) anytime soon - you will struggle for clean headroom.

Otherwise go for it, and enjoy the days when everyone is out and you can wind it up a bit.

Agreed.

Also

Long time no see
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

The thing is Laney VC30 seems to have some substantial goods beyond watts. The 12 inch speaker, and I believe it also sounds better for heavier types of music for some reason (mere utube observation and some suggestions). It is listed as a class A amp. Not that I believe that is true, but it means there is probably a difference that makes a difference between VC15 and 30.
30 watts shouldn't mean double the volume right - it must be a small difference in volume actually. I don't intend to crank it anyway, and I can use an attenuator if I do. Correct me on these if you think I am wrong.
Do you guys have any experience with L5t combo... the lionheart? that could be a worthy alternative...
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Mar 8, 2016,
If you like heavy music then I wouldn't consider a Lionheart.

The Ironheart on the other hand...
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you like heavy music then I wouldn't consider a Lionheart.

The Ironheart on the other hand...

I no longer think anything will cover all types of music I like to play... from blues to like say ZAkk Wylde... do you have a suggestion for that?
ages since i tried it too but the lionheart sounded to me like a "better" vc. so much of a muchness probably in terms of how suitable it is for what you want to play.

i'm not sure a vc15 will sound any better than a vc30 if you're playing at normal home levels. as i said, i figured the vc30 sounded better (from what i can remember). if you can play at the level where you can crank the vc15 and not the 30, then there may be a difference.

and yeah 30 watts aren't twice as loud as 15. everything else being equal (which it isn't- I think the 15 has a good bit lower sensitivity speaker too) it's only going to be a bit louder. factor in the speaker and it's going to be noticeably louder, but not twice as loud. I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by highwaystar30 at #33870665
I think you suggest Lionheart is on the soft side of things...

Well it's not super soft but I wouldn't say it's a gain monster either. I guess if the heaviest you're going is stuff like Van Halen and Zakk Wylde then they might be sufficient with a boost in front.

Usually when I hear somebody say heavy, I think of metal bands etc... hence why I said that.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Long time no see

'Sup bro

Quote by highwaystar30
I no longer think anything will cover all types of music I like to play... from blues to like say ZAkk Wylde... do you have a suggestion for that?

If we're really talking 'TV volume' I'd maybe be looking at an orange micro dark or something along those lines?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
There is a general but not universal tendency to say 30 watts would be too much for home use. I am not sure if that means it is wasteful or it is going to be very inconvenient. I don't intend to crank a 5 watter either, so it shouldn't make a difference , it just needs to sound good at low volumes. Very unfortunate that I find the Lionheart overly dark sounding. Thanks everyone I am off..
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPgnz-FT3eA

Chappers knows

Edit: WOW EMBEDDED YOUTUBE VIDS. Man this place has changed...

well I think this sounds terrible, probably more because of that tiny speaker than the amp itself. I am kind of offended by the size of the amp by the way, I obviously couldn't make a great impression around here. Thanks anyway. Now I am off....

I was just being funny, no offence intended.. thanks for trying to help
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Mar 9, 2016,
Quote by highwaystar30
There is a general but not universal tendency to say 30 watts would be too much for home use. I am not sure if that means it is wasteful or it is going to be very inconvenient. I don't intend to crank a 5 watter either, so it shouldn't make a difference , it just needs to sound good at low volumes.

yeah that's about the height of it. it's certainly true that 30 watts are way too much to crank at home for most people, but then that's true of 15 watts or even 5 watts too. and the whole "wasteful" thing is silly, if you ask me, you get what sounds best for your specific situation, even if you're not using all of its features or power. I mean you wouldn't consider a car wasteful if you don't drive it at full speed all the time.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah that's about the height of it. it's certainly true that 30 watts are way too much to crank at home for most people, but then that's true of 15 watts or even 5 watts too. and the whole "wasteful" thing is silly, if you ask me, you get what sounds best for your specific situation, even if you're not using all of its features or power. I mean you wouldn't consider a car wasteful if you don't drive it at full speed all the time.

Well wish I had heard this before I ordered the 5 watts L5t combo mainly on the basis of that 'too much for home'. Anyway lots of people stand behind this amp, I am afraid I will have to stalk them if I be severely disappointed. The amp is coming from abroad , so it hardly goes back.
Thanks for everything everyone who tried to help. By the way, I believe I have some small slice of time to cancel it still, so anbody can state their case if he/she strongly disagrees with my choice... have a good one
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Mar 9, 2016,
People I am keeping my order on hold and may possibly cancel it. I don't want to get an amp because its only five watts and people admire it, actualy it sounds quite a bit too dark to me.

I have a question. I love the tone of this Laney Ironheat for modern sounds and it has very practical homefriendly models. Is it possible to get classical tones out of it by pedals like Plexidrive etc. Could it work great as a platform for that?
I have the Ironheart Studio, and it does classic tones decently with the right guitar, but is definitely geared towards more modern sounds.

For the range of styles you described earlier, I'd pick a VC or Lionheart over it.

As for the Lionheart being a fairly dark sounding amp, that's largely due to the speaker (Celestion G12H30 55Hz). I've had that speaker in a 1x12" cab a couple of years ago and it did make any amp sound dark - it's a nice speaker, but it's also not for everyone.
Curiously, the Laney website claims that currently, the 5w Lionheart comes with a G12H Anniversary speaker, which is a 75Hz model and considerably brighter than the other one (Pictures still show the old model though, weirdly enough).
Assuming it's not a typo, new Lionheart combos should be considerably brighter than the old ones you can hear in youtube demos. However, I can't guarantee it's not a typo or that you wouldn't get some older stock.
(You can also always swap the speaker for another model, if necessary. The 55Hz G12H30 is actually a very expensive model and you likely wouldn't lose any money if you were to sell it and buy something else.)

If you are unsure about it... I maintain that it's hard to go wrong with a VC30 for what you want to do. Also the thread is pretty comprehensive by now - we've given you all the information we have, but we can't make the decision for you.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 10, 2016,
Hi, yes sorry about that, there is just contradictory information coming in so it makes things harder. Your last statement helps a lot.
Well I ended up geting the Laney VC30, and everything is pretty much is as was expected to be. I am mainly happy with my choice- the cleans are brilliant and the drive channel no less compared with the overdrives of my POD... the drive is very light though... there are some volume control difficulties, i may have to bother you people if I can't deal with it myself. One thing I probably need to do is get some overdrive/ distortion pedals because the POD's pedal simulations sound plain terrible (unless I am doing something wrong there), and this thing gives only very light overdrive. I plan to get some wamplers . I will not ask for suggestions yet because I am scared to be sifting through distortion demos on utube for the rest of my life. The Wampler pinnacle and and Plexidrive are what I have on my mind, please let me know if you can make a good judgement whether they are appropriate to be used with this amp or not.
Thanks and Best regards to everyone who helped and the community in general
Last edited by highwaystar30 at Mar 11, 2016,
^ nice

what guitar are you using? with tube amps especially (it happens with SS and modelling amps too, just possibly not just as much or at least maybe they just have more distortion to begin with which mitigates things a bit) the pickups you're using have a pretty massive effect on the amount of distortion available from the amp.

also if the amount of distortion is really low you might have a dodgy preamp tube (or maybe even one of them just came loose in shipping).

i haven't tried any pedals with the vc series, any time i tried them I just tried them plugged straight in. I can give basic more general advice, though. (I also have no experience with the pod so I can't help there )

Do you like the tone of the drive channel, other than its not having enough distortion for your tastes? if so, using an od pedal (or even just a clean boost pedal) as a boost for the od channel might be a good idea. if it's way too low in distortion then a standalone distortion pedal might be worth a try too (really, having both is a decent idea ), and you can use it either over the clean channel or over the distortion channel (so you have a wider range of tones at your feet)- and a distortion pedal can also be boosted by an od pedal or a clean boost again to get a wider range of tones.

instead of clean channel + dirty channel (2 tones at your feet)

you have

clean channel
dirty channel
clean channel + boost
dirty channel + boost
clean channel + distortion pedal
dirty channel + distortion pedal
clean channel + boost + distortion pedal
dirty channel + boost + distortion pedal

so 8 sounds overall at your feet (plus you can use your guitar's volume control to affect the amount of distortion you get as well for even more options).

Fwiw the heritage 55hz g12h30 is a killer speaker IMO. I have the older version of the lionheart 2x12 speaker cabinet.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2