It's actually supposed to keep nerds busy and stop the friction from their constant masturbation causing global warming.

Way to let us down, maths.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Okay calm down I'm just interested and ignorant believe me I'm as bored of math as you are. But I wanna relate to it somehow and so I wanna figure out what it essentially does and what its limitations are.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
yes and no

Where's the distinction?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Okay calm down I'm just interested and ignorant believe me I'm as bored of math as you are. But I wanna relate to it somehow and so I wanna figure out what it essentially does and what its limitations are.

Where's the distinction?

i dont recognise the existence of math

maths however could be notation for concept

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
nature is math

everything is math

i like the concept of math in terms of reality and how everything came to be, chaos and all.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
nature is math

everything is math

i like the concept of math in terms of reality and how everything came to be, chaos and all.

Nope.

Maths is a social construct tool which can aid in the understanding of those things.
Quote by Diemon Dave
how can maths be real if our eyes arent real

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
how can maths be real if our eyes arent real

Quote by Seneca
mathematicam veram et realem at non sunt, si quid oculis nostris

True. It is a question I feel we may never truly comprehend, let alone answer.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Nope.

Maths is a social construct tool which can aid in the understanding of those things.

agreed

maybe those aliens in the other thread know something we dont
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
agreed

maybe those aliens in the other thread know something we dont

They've probed enough butts to discover the deepest secrets of mankind.

-sunaj
Quote by Diemon Dave
Whether it is or it isn't, why is pointing this question out important?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Whether it is or it isn't, why is pointing this question out important?

It's an important distinction for me to make. It's never previously clicked for me that 2 and x aren't math.
Literally every way we communicate is notation for concepts

smdh math elitists smd nerds
My God, it's full of stars!
Nope. Language isn't necessarily notation.

But yeah clearly we communicate in signs. I'm asking if math extends past this.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Mar 6, 2016,
Everybody encourage ali, he's making a personal breakthrough. An epiphany if you will.
Quote by Bladez22
maths is the notation for the inner workings of the cosmos

woah

ye

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33867896
I'm asking if math extends past this.

No, not really. Sure we may learn new concepts that we use math to express, and invent new mathematical symbols and concepts to more easily explain these discoveries, but it's still just a visual representation of information for communication purposes, the same as any other way people communicate.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Yeah, the notation is notation. It represents other stuff, like all these letters we're using.
Too many threads to post
I'll just quote from the other one

Math is an application of logic on abstract conceptual models with the purpose to better understand said models and their limitations, with the objective of improving our understanding of the world in parallel when we can apply those models unto our world

Notation is secondary. It is fundamental when defining the syntax of the language used to define the models, but that's it.
Last edited by gonzaw at Mar 6, 2016,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
i dont recognise the existence of math

maths however could be notation for concept

I don't eat fish.

Fishs on the other hand is delicious
I think x and y are the chromosomes that are multiplied, divided and distributed always equaling z, which is the nap afterwards
Quote by gonzaw
Too many threads to post
I'll just quote from the other one

Notation is secondary. It is fundamental when defining the syntax of the language used to define the models, but that's it.

You could do that without math, though.

Don't do math kids
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
You could do that without math, though.

At a certain point you make a whole bunch of these models and discover concepts and you put them all under the "math" umbrella (algebra, geometry, calculus, etc).
So yeah, you can do that without the conventional definition of "math" above, but I think it'd still be math, mainly because there isn't really a way to delimit that kind of application of logic with conventional "math".

I don't think there is a way to say that one model/theory is more "mathy" than any other kind of logical theory, model, concept and application you can figure out.
For instance, is algebra "math" while type theory isn't? If so, why?