Hello. I've owned many LTD's and ESP's through time, some made in China and other in Korea. Right now I own an LTD Alexi-600 and I gotta say this plays so well! I can't really tell why anyone would spend $2,000 more on this exact same guitar with ESP on the headstock?
Why do they charge so much more? I know the guitars are handmade but is it really worth so much more?
i guess if you don't know the difference, may as well buy the LTD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
also, the newer ESP's (read last 10 or so years) are a step up from the earlier '90's etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A substantial amount of that money is for the name. But the ESP's use nicer woods, better QC, original Floyds (rather than 1000 series Floyds) and overall better attention to detail than the LTD's.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by diabolical
Yes, like light and day.

Deliberate or typo?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I have been the proud owner of the ESP LTD explorer for almost a decade now, while it may not have the nicest wood or smoothest fretboard, it still sounds great to me. If you really want the fancy ESP go for it, but if you're just looking for a decent guitar and to save like 500+ bucks I would say LTD is the way to go.
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Last edited by IRONMAIDENTLICA at Mar 7, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A substantial amount of that money is for the name. But the ESP's use nicer woods, better QC, original Floyds (rather than 1000 series Floyds) and overall better attention to detail than the LTD's.

also the esps are MIJ so that costs more money too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
also the esps are MIJ so that costs more money too

The MIK LTDs are very nice. I have the S Carpenter 8-string MIJ ESP Stef B8 and MIK LTD SC608B and the 7-string MIJ ESP Stef B7 and MIK LTD SC607B and TBH, in a blind test, I'll be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

I have other non-sig 7-string ESPs and LTDs and all have been very well-made and won't disappoint, even if you gigged them regularly.
Quote by Ippon
The MIK LTDs are very nice. I have the S Carpenter 8-string MIJ ESP Stef B8 and MIK LTD SC608B and the 7-string MIJ ESP Stef B7 and MIK LTD SC607B and TBH, in a blind test, I'll be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

I have other non-sig 7-string ESPs and LTDs and all have been very well-made and won't disappoint, even if you gigged them regularly.

I would estimate that in a blind test, 99% of players couldn't tell the difference between the higher end LTD's and the ESP's. Especially if you swapped out the licensed tremolo, etc.

Having said that, I don't disparage anyone from buying the guitar they like, and if they believe that the ESP is better, who am I to judge. I imagine the vast majority of us would own all kinds guitars if money was unlimited (I know I would) and I guarantee that many of my choices would be based more on emotion than logic.
I dunno about that. I had a friend that collected Esp George Lynch signature guitars when he wasn't veey popular, early 2000s. He had about five and few LTDs that were his gig beaters. The difference was huge. The overall feel of the instrument, neck, paint, sound, I guess I'd compare it between a VW and Porsche if you've been in both, similar feel, or Chevy Suburban and Caddillac Escalade. Those guitars were a steal at the time, he paid $800 - 1200 used, which was price of a lowly Gibson USA.

I hear you can ger a deal on Laguna guitar now, sig. Gary Hoey, I think.
^. I owned an ESP custom shop george lynch serpent. Black and white graphics. The neck was probably one of the best I've ever played but it cost me upwards of £2000 18 years ago. That's a lot of cash now, never mind back then with 2 small kids. I have owned about 70 guitars over the years ranging from fly deluxes, lp customs, down to squire strats and teles and arias. But in all honesty from my personal point of view my LTD h1001 is still the best guitar I have ever played. I know it's personal and everyone has an opinion, but the only way to tell which is best for you is to play them. Weight, size, neck, sound all make your perfect guitar yours. It took me a long time to find my perfect squeeze. Doesn't happen over night. The ESP was however built like a tank and felt like it could take some serious treatment. I fear that if I ever dropped the LTD it might explode into its component parts.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Last edited by crackerjack123 at Mar 8, 2016,
Quote by Ippon

yeah i wasn't necessarily saying they were worth the extra (I haven't tried enough, and the ones I have tried were years ago), just that that explains some of the mark-up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
With ESP, it really depends. I've been wanting a particular ESP guitar that was a limited run (ish) for a while:

It's an ESP N-SS-500 Sho-Ryu-Ken that's just odd enough that I love it.

Okay, when you've stopped laughing...there's a cheaper LTD version of this that is much "flattened" and really a completely different guitar.
Man, that guitar is a hot mess

I've had a couple LTDs (one Korean, one Chinese), and they are pretty great guitars, solidly built. That being said, when you handle the "real deal," there IS a difference. I can't say that it is huge (particularly when talking about the upper-end stuff) but it is there. That goes for a lot of brands though.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.