So I have been getting more serious about home recording and in the past I had used Guitar Pro as a way to sort of "map out" a song before playing it live. I no longer have access to my old guitar pro (I think it was guitar pro 4 anyways). Does anyone have the new Guitar pro 6? and if so is it worth it, I mean 50 bucks isn't too expensive but I'd rather not spend the money if its just a waste of time. I remember the old one used to crash on me fairly often.
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Yes.

I use both GP5 and GP6. 5 is easier from a "quick listen" standpoint, but 6 has a LOT to offer if you want to write any music.

In any case it's a small sum.

If all you want to do is listen to tabs though, download TuxGuitar. It's free and perfectly functional. (You may need the GPX plugin for some tabs.)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Is TuxGuitar similar to powertab? Also thank you good to hear from someone who has it, theres sadly no reviews here on UG for guitar pro.
-Mike Tyson
Quote by IRONMAIDENTLICA
Is TuxGuitar similar to powertab? Also thank you good to hear from someone who has it, theres sadly no reviews here on UG for guitar pro.

IMO Tuxguitar is superior to Powertab, but that's a subjective opinion.

Download it and give it a shot, all it costs is time.
Charles Darwin
I myself think, if you're going to buy (which I take it you are...) you should probably wait till they release GP7. It's supposed to come out soon. GP6 is, and has been a great tool for me, but you should preserve your money for even better
Quote by Kaseke
I myself think, if you're going to buy (which I take it you are...) you should probably wait till they release GP7. It's supposed to come out soon. GP6 is, and has been a great tool for me, but you should preserve your money for even better

Where did you see that? Any date in mind? I have the free sample of GP right now but it doesn't allow you to save any compositions.
-Mike Tyson
Quote by IRONMAIDENTLICA
Where did you see that? Any date in mind? I have the free sample of GP right now but it doesn't allow you to save any compositions.

If you wait for GP7, you may die of old age...

In any case, if you buy GP6 and 7 is released at any time in the reasonable future, I strongly suspect there will be a free or nearly free upgrade path, since that's what they did with the 5/6 transition.
Charles Darwin
I don't think Guitar Pro has ever been $50 better than Tux Guitar, imo. Try that out first.
Quote by Zan595
I don't think Guitar Pro has ever been $50 better than Tux Guitar, imo. Try that out first.

I was planning to, the "free" GP6 is pretty good though I must say. However I will take your advice mostly because of the Archer avatar.
-Mike Tyson
I loved PowerTab. Still love it and still use it when I can. I like having the instruments sharing the page instead of on different pages and I've been using it so long I can tab on it in my sleep. Maybe because of this I hate tux guitar. I hate the tab notation, and hate the rhythm notation, I hate the layout, etc...but I needed something to write tabs at home on my Mac and bring them to my PC at working teaching guitar. I hesitated for months but I pulled the trigger this year and bought GP6 and man I love it. I think the difference between GP6 and Tux is night and day. That of course could be due to the type of workflow I got used to in Power Tab but I'm telling you the money I spent was worth it to me. Of course it's my livelihood and I needed the Mac/PC compatibility, but now that I know what it's like I'd pick it up even if I didn't absolutely have to have it. I'm also a subscriber to Troy Grady's Masters in Mechanics which I would recommend to any guitar player the world that's working on picking, and Troy's tabs come in PDF and GPX (6) so now instead of just using the PDF I can load the examples into guitar pro and loop them, set it to trainer to increase tempo gradually and so on. Man I used to type all the notes off the PDF into Power Tab if I wanted to loop them, and it didn't have a speed trainer function either. Life is so much easier now
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
I'm pretty biased and actual "used" to own GP6
My hard-drive failed and I haven't been able to get them to email me my serial number back to redownload it...so it was a waste of $50 for me.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab