I play a custom made telecaster, i'm a one man band of sorts. I am playing through a 35 watt Laney tube amp with some stomp boxes. right now I play the guitar volumes at max and the amp is set on 2. it is still quite loud and sounds really good. but I was wondering about playing the amp at a higher volume and using the guitar volumes to control volume level. just curios how other use their equipment, always open to new ideas.
I've been doing this a lot more lately since I've been upgrading the pots on my guitars to audio taper w/ treble bleed. Makes the volume control much more practical imo, I always kept the guitar's volume at max before.
it'll sound different. you'll get less preamp distortion that way (and as metallica313 said, if you don't have treble bleeds on your guitar's volume control, things will get muddy). if you like it, go for it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it'll sound different. you'll get less preamp distortion that way (and as metallica313 said, if you don't have treble bleeds on your guitar's volume control, things will get muddy). if you like it, go for it.

The reason it sounds muddy is because you are setting your amp's EQ to compensate for the huge resonant peak in your guitar's frequency response, which is reduced quite significantly when the volume control is turned down.

IMO, the controls on the guitar are very useful without any modification, so long as you understand that the way your guitar sounds with the controls maxed out is not necessarily the ideal starting point for dialing in your amp settings due to the aforementioned resonant peak, and that you get a much more balanced and well rounded sound by setting them somewhere in the middle instead.

I pretty much never have the volume and tone on my guitar maxed out anymore - these days, being able to adjust the input volume and the treble content from the guitar is something I can't do without. It's more dynamic and flexible than turning a pedal with a fixed preset on and off, and I don't have to be in a particular spot on the stage to be able to switch between my rhythm and lead tones.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
that's probably true, but it depends on what you want and need most. my full blast tone is pretty much what i need and want most of the time. the rolled-back tone is more the afterthought tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Of course. lots of people do just fine keeping the volume and tone maxed out.

The trouble is, I see it too often, where people get discouraged from experimenting with the controls on the guitar, because people who run everything full blast all the time tell them it makes the tone muddy. and it bothers me a little
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
oh yeah absolutely. i probably should've clarified that I prefer to run it from the guitar as well- at least a bit, I use od pedals as boosts too. i generally have my rhythm distorted tone with a timmy on more or less all the time, roll back for cleanish tones, and then kick on an sd1 for leads, at least for higher gain tones with a high gain amp. i use the guitar controls a good bit more for lower gain tones and/or single coils, but again i generally prefer a treble bleed to not having one.

i wasn't suggesting he not go near the controls, more suggesting a possible solution if he didn't like how it muddied things up. granted, some people don't like treble bleeds either because they feel like they overcompensate and thin things out too much.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 8, 2016,