Ok, so I've personally been looking at 8 strings in the $400 range a while and have narrowed down my options to an RG8, Legator ninja 100-PE 8, and an agile septor 827. Any input on the pro's and cons of any of these modules?
Honestly? I hate to be (seemingly) un-constructive, but you need to save more. A $400 8-string will be arse. A R S E. Feck. Girls.

Unless you get one second hand at that price, in which case it may be worth considering. Of those, I'd recommend an Agile first, but as I say, really the base cost of an 8 string should be at least an extra 100 onto your average 6 string cost.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Of the three you've mentioned, I'd recommend the Agile first as well.

The Agile is also the only one that isn't priced to include additional brick and mortar dealer markup.
I had an RG8 which was pretty good, I think Ibanez have decent quality for their cheaper ranges. Nice thin neck as well.
agile. at the end of the day their pickups are the best of your three choices.

if you can find a used 828 i would suggest that. the extra inch of scale length will be helpful.

i have an RG8. for me the body and fretboard edges are a little sharp and the bridge is constructed with shall we say "an eye for thrift"

most importantly, the pick-ups just aren't very good though and this is where most entry level guitars fall down -although it's no GIO.
Last edited by ad_works at Mar 7, 2016,
I'd say go for at least a 28" scale Agile as well, just for string tension. Try to find one used.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
dont only have an 8 string lol always have a decent 6 string and get any thing else you want lol I made this bad choice with a 7 string. but if you really want an 8 string spend real money on that thing lol! dont go cheap when I bought my 7 I got a schecter DEMON, they cost around $600 and it sounded absolutely amazing, but yea dont go cheap with guitars ever, especially extended ranged guitars. main thing to focus on is the pickups and the neck scale length, better pups and a longer length = more tone. my 7 had a 25.5 but for an 8 get something like a 27" there are even 30" lengths out there. Agile, Schecter, and Ibanez all have some amazing 8 strings go check them out
Quote by ad_works

if you can find a used 828 i would suggest that. the extra inch of scale length will be helpful.

The 828 Agiles are actually a 28.65" scale, compared to the 27" scale of the 827.
Quote by dspellman
FWIW, there's an Intrepid 828 (28.65" scale) on sale for $399 (normally $699) at Rondo:
http://www.rondomusic.com/intr828ebcpnatash.html

And a Septor Elite 827 (27" scale) for the same price...
http://www.rondomusic.com/product7787.html

thanks man, I'll check both of these out. If anyone comes across anything good used I would love it if you would post it here. As for the reason my budget is so low, This guitar is basically just to get all the ideas I have in my head out of there. I plan to upgrade down the line sometime.
I would personally recommend the Schecter Damien 8 series. If you go used you can easily get them for 350-399. My problem with Agile (besides the scale length making it so most typical 8 strings sets don't fit fully on them) is that one Agile guitar will be an amazing guitar while the next of the same exact model will be sheet! I find they have pretty low quality control.
Quote by JosephFeagin8
I would personally recommend the Schecter Damien 8 series. If you go used you can easily get them for 350-399. My problem with Agile (besides the scale length making it so most typical 8 strings sets don't fit fully on them) is that one Agile guitar will be an amazing guitar while the next of the same exact model will be sheet! I find they have pretty low quality control.

This may just be your personal anecdote.

I haven't had that issue, and I have four Agiles at the moment. Agile built its reputation on people opening the box and saying, "Wait. I paid WHAT for this guitar?"

And when you say "scale length making it so most typical 8 string sets don't fit fully on them," are you talking about the 27" scale, the 28.5" scale or the 30" scale 8-strings? Rondo sells all three.

"Typical" 8-string sets don't really exist. This was custom guitar territory (and in many ways still is) until Kurt and a few others started listening on sevenstring.org and a few other ERG sites and began to make 8, 9, and 10-string guitars in prices that an average guitarist could afford. They've also pioneered multi-scale (fan-fret) guitars in reasonable price territory, making it easier for guitarists to *try* these guitars without the huge investment.

It's always possible to get a guitar that isn't quite up to snuff; after all, these things have a 6500 mile (or so) trip to get to Kurt, and he mostly takes them out of the container and slaps a shipping label on them. As a result he has a great return policy, and the occasional glitch or bit of shipping damage will usually result on their being listed on the site as a B Stock at a much reduced price. Some of those B stocks only last a few minutes before someone snaps them up.

Schecter is one brand that's climbed aboard the ERG bandwagon as well, though they haven't made nearly the commitment that Rondo/Kurt has with the Agile series. They're sort of climbing into the market segment that Rondo has carved out. What I love about Schecter is that they ship the guitars arriving from Asia over to Burbank where they're set up before they're shipped out. What I don't love is that after the guitars leave Burbank, those guitars can sit on a GC-type wall for a year before being purchased. Further, unless you buy a Schecter used, you're not getting the same value for the money spent that you get with an Agile; the sell price of a Schecter always includes the extra profit added in by the brick-and-mortar store that sold them.
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 8, 2016,
^ It is a personal anecdote.

Agile used to be iffy on quality control but now they are pretty good. They are made in World Music Inc's factory, same place that makes PRS SE, Chapman, Dean, LTD, and a lot of other brands.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by dthmtl3
That would be World Musical Instruments to be more precise.

Yup. Autocorrect changed inst to inc.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by dspellman
The 828 Agiles are actually a 28.65" scale, compared to the 27" scale of the 827.

i stand corrected. rondo states 28-5/8" (28.625")
Quote by ad_works
i stand corrected. rondo states 28-5/8" (28.625")

Close enough for government work. And jazz. And postal workers ("Hey, Ernie! Catch!").

How big is .025" anyway (28.65 vs. 28.625)?
Rondo has also variously identified the 350mm radius as 13.7" and 14".
*waves vaguely* "These aren't the droids..."
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 8, 2016,