Hey guys,

Bought this amp secondhand recently, sounds bloody awesome. However, I've had a couple issues over the last few days. Both clean channels cut out completely the other day, both overdrive channels intact. I pulled the back grill off, took a look at the tubes, reseated 'em, and I had everything back.

During practice today the same happened, however with a rather sudden large increase in volume in the middle of a song. No clean channels, both overdrives. I replaced the V1 Clean Preamp tube with one I had lying around when I got home and I've got all channels. Seems a bit lackluster now though. The tubes in it are all stock, Egnater branded tubes. That said, given the aforementioned symptoms, I think I just need a preamp replacement? If so, all of them? There's like seven.

Thanks for your help.
Quote by diabolical
Well it is best to change all, but you can start by process of elimination.

Gotcha gotcha. Any recommendations on what to look for and what not to? This is my first all-tube amp. I normally play bass so this degree of customization is a bit new to me.
Quote by Chainer
Gotcha gotcha. Any recommendations on what to look for and what not to? This is my first all-tube amp. I normally play bass so this degree of customization is a bit new to me.

There's no customization going on here. Tubes wear out, get damaged, and there's no time table for that. It's even possible to get a brand new tube that's gone bad in shipping.

I mostly buy my tubes from Bob at Eurotubes (who mostly sells JJs) in part because he actually tests the tubes and because he has really high level test gear. He sells on the tubes that don't meet his specs, and some of those tubes are sold by other vendors.

If I'm not mistaken, you actually have *eight* ECC83S preamp tubes (not three) and four 6L6 power amp tubes in that thing. A normal retube for everything will include a balanced ECC83S for V8 (phase inverter), the preamp tube closest to the four power tubes. Be sure to note which one he designates for that spot. A full retube will run between $167 and $250, depending on which of the three normal retube options you select (I'd go with the Standard, honestly): http://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=519

FWIW, this isn't as bad as it gets...I have a preamp that features cascading gain stages and four channels, and it has nine ECC83 tubes, and the power amp it feeds into has another three ECC83 tubes and four 6L6 or EL34 power tubes. If you've got the Egnater M4 preamp you'll have an even larger bill for preamp tubes.
Quote by dspellman
There's no customization going on here. Tubes wear out, get damaged, and there's no time table for that. It's even possible to get a brand new tube that's gone bad in shipping.

I mostly buy my tubes from Bob at Eurotubes (who mostly sells JJs) in part because he actually tests the tubes and because he has really high level test gear. He sells on the tubes that don't meet his specs, and some of those tubes are sold by other vendors.

If I'm not mistaken, you actually have *eight* ECC83S preamp tubes (not three) and four 6L6 power amp tubes in that thing. A normal retube for everything will include a balanced ECC83S for V8 (phase inverter), the preamp tube closest to the four power tubes. Be sure to note which one he designates for that spot. A full retube will run between $167 and $250, depending on which of the three normal retube options you select (I'd go with the Standard, honestly): http://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=519

FWIW, this isn't as bad as it gets...I have a preamp that features cascading gain stages and four channels, and it has nine ECC83 tubes, and the power amp it feeds into has another three ECC83 tubes and four 6L6 or EL34 power tubes. If you've got the Egnater M4 preamp you'll have an even larger bill for preamp tubes.

Yeah, there's eight preamp tubes in total. I've only messed with the V1 and V3 preamps so far. I've only had issues with the clean channels far, but I'll go for a full retube based on previous advice and the fact that all the preamp tubes are the original Egnater branded 12AX7s.

Main problem is I don't really have 250 lying around at the moment and we've got practice Monday. Would it be alright to replace maybe just the tubes responsible for clean and overdriven channels and replace the rest in a week or two?
Quote by Chainer
Yeah, there's eight preamp tubes in total. I've only messed with the V1 and V3 preamps so far. I've only had issues with the clean channels far, but I'll go for a full retube based on previous advice and the fact that all the preamp tubes are the original Egnater branded 12AX7s.

Main problem is I don't really have 250 lying around at the moment and we've got practice Monday. Would it be alright to replace maybe just the tubes responsible for clean and overdriven channels and replace the rest in a week or two?

Certainly doesn't bother me. If it works. And I'd suggest not even worrying about the $250 if you've got the $167...