What hygrometer do you guys find the most reliable out of the box or easily calibrate-able?

Then what do you use? Damp-it's?

I have the BlueRidge I've mentioned and an Alvarez. The Alvarez was left many nights out in ac and heater on a stand. I noticed a "crack" basically just appears to be the seam on the bottom the came through the lacquer or paint. Either dryness or being set down on the strap tab on the end of the body caused it.

Thanks in advance.
Not to discount the low humidity issues you may very well have, wood shrinks more across the grain, than with the length. Which means most humidity induced cracks should appear in the top.

What I'm saying here is, were you to measure a 2" x 4" wet versus dry, the percentage of shrinkage, (not the actual amount), would be greater across the 4" width as opposed to the 8' length.

Moving along, you do realize you're going to have to keep the guitar in a hard shell case to effect change in the guitar's condition, don't you?

I don't have any specific recommendation on brand of humidifier. Any or all of them have to be given a "salt test". (Which you need to google).

What you have in the way of humidity issues overall, is going to be dependent on where you live, and the amount of change in temperature which needs to occur in order for you to be comfortable. (warmer or cooler).

For example, I live in a pretty humid area. During the heat of summer, the lowest temps set on my air conditioners is 79 or 80. It's hard to drop the humidity to dangerous levels at those temps
Quote by Captaincranky
Not to discount the low humidity issues you may very well have, wood shrinks more across the grain, than with the length. Which means most humidity induced cracks should appear in the top.

What I'm saying here is, were you to measure a 2" x 4" wet versus dry, the percentage of shrinkage, (not the actual amount), would be greater across the 4" width as opposed to the 8' length.

Moving along, you do realize you're going to have to keep the guitar in a hard shell case to effect change in the guitar's condition, don't you?

I don't have any specific recommendation on brand of humidifier. Any or all of them have to be given a "salt test". (Which you need to google).

What you have in the way of humidity issues overall, is going to be dependent on where you live, and the amount of change in temperature which needs to occur in order for you to be comfortable. (warmer or cooler).

For example, I live in a pretty humid area. During the heat of summer, the lowest temps set on my air conditioners is 79 or 80. It's hard to drop the humidity to dangerous levels at those temps

I have a case for both guitars. They both stay there now. Alvarez I got lazy with and just left it for weeks.

I live in Houston area. Very hot and humid, so it's everybody's goal down here to counter that with air conditioning.

I am not out with these guitars. I certainly don't play out anywhere or gig. Just typing "gig" made me lol. People in the crowd would tip me with lessons.