Hello everyone. I am at the stage of my playing where I would like to get into a better amp than my VIP 1. I am in the market for a used tube amp. I have been playing for about 6 months and the music I typically like to play includes John Mayer, Black Keys, Muse, and other alternative/rock music. My goal is to find something I can play at church during praise and worship but also practice with at home. I live in a home with no attached neighbors. My wife is pretty tolerant of my playing so it doesn't need to be super quiet.. But quiet enough.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used but great condition Egnater Tweaker 40 head for $350. The seller also agreed to throw in a small 1x12 cab to play it through until I can find something nicer.

Is this an amp that will fulfill my needs? I have only got to play around on one for a very short time. Is there anything else I should be considering? I live near Indianapolis, IN. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: forgot to mention I would prefer to stay around $400.

Tyler
Last edited by TBarnes8908 at Mar 8, 2016,
yeah if you don't share any walls with neighbours and the people you live with are cool then tube is normally ok. just you want to check the amp at the volume you normally play at at home, since some amps sound better than others at home volumes and there's not much rhyme nor reason as to why (or if there is, it's often counter-intuitive- bigger, higher-wattage amps often sound better at really low volumes than low wattage amps).

I haven't tried the tweaker, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Tweaker should be good for the wide variety of sounds that you listed. I'm not sure how a 40 Watt amp would sound playing at home. You could probably find the 15W Tweaker for cheaper online. I don't know what set up you have at church but I use a 15W amp (Fender Super Champ) at church un-miced and it works out fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah if you don't share any walls with neighbours and the people you live with are cool then tube is normally ok. just you want to check the amp at the volume you normally play at at home, since some amps sound better than others at home volumes and there's not much rhyme nor reason as to why (or if there is, it's often counter-intuitive- bigger, higher-wattage amps often sound better at really low volumes than low wattage amps).

I haven't tried the tweaker, though.

Could it be because bigger wattage amps usually come with bigger speakers and cabins and so have more 'bottom end'?.. they sound fuller even at low volumes... never had a tube amp by the way, looking for one myself.
I had a Tweaker 40H. You can definitely play it at bedroom level. And it will certainly cover the styles you mention. Only downside to the tweaker head is the lack of reverb. That isn't always a problem for folks though. Just thought I would mention it. I think for the price, you should snag it up. Great sounding amp. A lot of different tones in there.

Also, tubes make a huge difference in it as well from my experience. Preamp tubes especially. I had JJ 6L6 tubes in the power section, liked them more than 5881. The V1 preamp tube slot is the one to focus on the most regarding any further tone shaping. If memory serves correctly, the V2 controls the loop and the V3 is the phase inverter.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
For that price it should be a solid buy. May I ask what the 112 in question is, or at least what speaker is in it?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will pick it up. How well does it take pedals? I would probably add a reverb pedal at some point.

The 1x12 cab us actually an old Marshall combo that he converted into a cab. The amp still works in the Marshall so that is a bonus I guess. I'm not sure what speaker is in it. My plan is to buy my own cab within a month or two so this is to just get me by. Any recommendations on what to pair it with?
Quote by ThunderPunk
I had a Tweaker 40H. You can definitely play it at bedroom level. And it will certainly cover the styles you mention. Only downside to the tweaker head is the lack of reverb. That isn't always a problem for folks though. Just thought I would mention it. I think for the price, you should snag it up. Great sounding amp. A lot of different tones in there.

Also, tubes make a huge difference in it as well from my experience. Preamp tubes especially. I had JJ 6L6 tubes in the power section, liked them more than 5881. The V1 preamp tube slot is the one to focus on the most regarding any further tone shaping. If memory serves correctly, the V2 controls the loop and the V3 is the phase inverter.

He said that this one also has the 6L6s and 12ax7s in it.
Quote by dombar335
The Tweaker should be good for the wide variety of sounds that you listed. I'm not sure how a 40 Watt amp would sound playing at home. You could probably find the 15W Tweaker for cheaper online. I don't know what set up you have at church but I use a 15W amp (Fender Super Champ) at church un-miced and it works out fine.

As I said, I haven't tried the tweakers, but I can't see why a 15 watter would sound that much better at home, at least assuming you're playing at half-sensible volume levels. You're not going to be pushing a 15 watter either.

Quote by highwaystar30
Could it be because bigger wattage amps usually come with bigger speakers and cabins and so have more 'bottom end'?.. they sound fuller even at low volumes... never had a tube amp by the way, looking for one myself.

i'm not sure exactly but I think there's a number of reasons, I think. Craig did a thread a while back: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571081

I think the basic rule though is not to have any preconceptions about what will or won't sound good at low volumes until you've tried it yourself since there doesn't seem to be much rhyme nor reason to it (and always remember that it'll sound quieter in the shop than it will at home!)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have one more option that just came up. The is the other amp on the top of my list and I am really unsure between the two of them.

Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 head (no cab) for $325. I'm not sure which of these I would rather have. I have not got the opportunity to play the H&K yet (nearest store with one is a bit of a drive away). Any opinions on this one?
i haven't tried it but i think it has some solid state shenanigans going on in it. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll sound bad, but technically it's not all-tube if you care about that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tweaker takes pedals like a champ. Both up front and through the loop. I'd pass on the H&K. Get the Tweaker, use the Marshall combo thing as a cab for a bit... then sell the marshall combo and get a proper extension cab at some point. The price is good on the Tweaker, you're getting the Marshall for free.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I have the H&K ST Dual El84 combo, which I guess is similar. Very bright and very well defined low end. I managed to get a schematic for mine, and it does have a lot of SS stuff in front of the preamp tubes, so it is a stretch to call it all-tube. It works very well though. The Tweaker, which I have tried, is also on my white list, so I would be trying them both if possible.
Well I did it guys. Picked up the Egnater Tweaker 40 last night and it sounds wonderful. It puts my Peavey VIP 1 to shame (even at low volumes).

I have one more question... I picked up a Peavey 112-6 Cab to go along with it. After doing some more research though, it appears the speaker is rated for only 25w. I love the Celestion Greenback in it. I will mostly use it for practice at home at relatively low volumes, but occasionally will crank it louder. Is this going to be a problem paired with a Tweaker 40? The store also had a Peavey 112-c. I believe that speaker is rated for 60w. Should I take it back and swap them or will the 112-6 be fine?

Thanks!
I'd take back the 112-6 and snag up the 112C. You really don't want to fry the Greenback speaker in that cab. The Vintage 30 will sound different, but it can handle the watts of the Tweaker 40.
yeah for low volumes the greenback should be fine, if you're cranking it you're pushing your luck.

the v30 will sound a fair bit different, though. more modern, smoother (when broken in) and tighter. EDIT: also louder.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love the sound of the greenback. Is this something that would happen after just one or two times of cranking the volume or something that would happen over a long period of time? It is going to be pretty rare that I would use the amp louder than TV volumes.
It'll take a few hours for the speakers at a decent volume to properly break in the speakers. They usually sound a little less harsh, and more rounded once they've had time to break in.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Mar 11, 2016,
Quote by TBarnes8908
I love the sound of the greenback. Is this something that would happen after just one or two times of cranking the volume or something that would happen over a long period of time? It is going to be pretty rare that I would use the amp louder than TV volumes.

You can probably get away with it at low volume. But, go look at the price of a replacement Greenback speaker and ask yourself... if you blow your speaker, do you really want to spend money replacing it?

It might be fine. But, why burn a hole in your pocket if you can just switch to a cab with a speaker with a better wattage handling capability and not have to worry about it?