Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some assistance with my new guitar.

I've recently (in the last month) picked up a Gibson SG 70's tribute for around $850, and I'm having real trouble keeping it in tune.

When I bend strings, particularly the G & B and again particularly further up the neck, they go wildly out of tune. I mean, after one bend it's a 'stop the song and re-tune' situation.

I've changed the strings twice, stretched them out etc. all the usual things. I've put some graphite in the nut slots, too. But it's just not playing ball.

There isn't any fret buzz anywhere at all, and it plays like a dream, apart from the tuning.

Help??

Jackson
Any unusual sounds - ping or tink noise when tuning? My bet would be nut slots not being correct.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
The cheaper SGs (and to a lesser extent, the more expensive ones) have this issue. I'd guess a poorly cut nut or bridge slot
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'm really not a fan of those new SGs. That darn neck, man...

But you shouldnt be having problems like this on a new guitar. I'm sure the problem has something to do with your nut but you could also be looking at tuner problems. Everyone's cutting costs and so quality drops in tuners aren't out of the question.
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
If the notes keep going sharp then it is usually the nut (needs wider slots). If they keep going flat then it might be the quality of the tuners, which can be tolerated if you tune *up* to the correct tuning for the final adjustment and never tune *down*. Tuning up makes any backlash in the tuning gear mechanism become biased in the tension direction, whereas tuning down can leave some backlash still there and the string can loosen further as you play and bend.
get your nut re-slotted
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Tuners are almost never the cause of poor tuning stability. All tuners require some degree of backlash to work correctly and once the backlash has been taken up, there's no way the tuners can slip without shearing off their teeth in the process.

The vast majority of tuning problems with guitars are caused by the nut, the way the guitar is strung and if the strings have been fully stretched.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
^^ But you can add the saddle notches to the list as well. Sometimes the strings hang up there.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
^^ But you can add the saddle notches to the list as well. Sometimes the strings hang up there.

true

TS get a piece of 200 grit sand paper and roll it up or fold it over so you have a small surface area and gently sand each notch in the bridge saddles
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I highly doubt it is the saddles on an SG, they have TOM bridges and surely you would be able to see any burrs or dints on the saddle which would cause tuning issues, so I think they would have been noticed fairly easily. I'm pretty sure Gibson's quality control isn't THAT bad.

It is almost definitely the nut in my opinion
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
I highly doubt it is the saddles on an SG, they have TOM bridges and surely you would be able to see any burrs or dints on the saddle which would cause tuning issues, so I think they would have been noticed fairly easily. I'm pretty sure Gibson's quality control isn't THAT bad.

I would tend to agree, just trying to cover all the bases
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I would tend to agree, just trying to cover all the bases

Understandable chief.

I just had horrible mental images of the guy rounding off his contact points on the saddles and making it a bitch to intonate due to the scale length going out of whack, which would have been horrible if it was just the nut
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

I own several high end Gibsons (read my Trad+, R7, R8 and R0V2 reviews here) and the saddles don't get "notched". Most of the time someone taps the string on the saddle with a mallet to create a notch. Sometimes they've been heavy handed doing it and actually bent saddle screws on the ABR models on the custom Shop models and I've had to buy new screws/saddles. TOMs (Nashvilles or ABRs) aren't immune to issues.
If it happens the ideal way to deal with it is a proper file set followed by very fine sandpaper over the file to retain the profile and remove any burrs.

Nuts are easier to ruin without the proper tools to file them. If it's binding the slots could use some work. Even decently filed slots benefit from a good lube (not pencil lead BTW, it's messy and hard to remove and a cheap arsed attempt to save a couple of bucks over a proper product)
Stretching strings does little if the wraps aren't neatly stacked and tight and from what Ive seen that's pretty common.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Mar 10, 2016,