Hi, I'm fairly new to guitars I've only been playing about 3 months or so. I decided to do something daring and try and play Slither by Velvet revolver. The solo towards the end is giving me some trouble, like I thought it might, but I can't seem to figure it out. In the beginning part of the solo he does a few overbends in a row, and every time I attempt it my finger seems to get caught UNDER the string. Not catching the other strings, the actual string I am bending. It causes the bend to mute and stop making noise. The tip of my finger kinda like, folds underneath it. Hard to explain. I haven't been able to find anything on this, or any technique to help preventing it.

This is the tutorial I am learning from if you want to see what he is doing that I am trying to do :
Www.YouTube.com/watch?v=soneNilug8s
At 1:55
maybe your finger's not quite at the right angle? you sort of want to be hitting the string at a bit of an angle (rather than fingertips right on top of the string as you'd do for more complex chords) so you get some purchase against the string for bending. but i guess if you go to too much of an angle, your finger might slide under the string.

or maybe your guitar's action is too high? (strings too high off the fretboard i mean)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll try angling it but I never thought about that. How do I check that ?
I think that's VERY ambitious if you've only been playing for 3 months! May I ask you how much you practice each day, out of curiosity?

My two cents: Practice a lot of bends on their own before learning the solo. Take one note, bend it up a semitone (one fret) and hear it well. Then bend it up a tone (two frets) and listen. Then if you want to be more daring try to bend it up a tone and a half (3 frets). When you're more comfortable in bending, try the solo again.
Quote by onixite
I'll try angling it but I never thought about that. How do I check that ?

i have no idea, i just kind of look at it and/or feel that it's right.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?