So I have a Strat and an SG, which I've always been very happy with. However, my brother's girlfriend recently gave me an Ibanez RG3EXFM1 for free. I know this isn't exactly a "quality" guitar, but it was free and I actually like the way it plays, so I'd like to make it my designated metal guitar. The only issue I have with it are the pickups. I started looking online for different pickup reviews, prices, etc., and realized I don't know jack shit about pickups.

I know the type of pickups I eventually choose should be based off of my own personal preference, but I don't really know where to begin to look. I'd want a bridge pickup that would give me a nice beefy, heavy tone without being TOO bass heavy, and obviously a neck pickup that would give me nice colorful lead tones. So... Any suggestions?

And I'm assuming I would need passive pickups, as the bull shit pickups that are in the guitar now are passive. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks. =P
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
I have the Dimarzio CrunchLab/Liquifire set in my Ibanez RG. I think they do what you're asking pretty well. In my Jackson I have the classic Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set. Those might be a good starting point in your search. Good luck!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
+1 for Crunch Lab and Liquifire.
There are also Nazgul and Sentient 6 string pickups I believe.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
The SD JB/Jazz set is one of the most common rock/metal pickup combinations there is, and with good reason. Tonally, they're a workhorse pairing.

Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers can deliver almost EMG-like tones, but in a passive- and extremely light- pickup.

Tesla has their VR and PLASMA lines that are geared towards harder genres. The VRs go from classic to early metal, the PLASMAS go from there.

RailHammer pickups were designed to deliver better performance on lower strings without sacrificing clarity of the top end. The Chisel is their second highest output pickup, made for any position. The Anvil is the hottest, and is meant for the bridge only.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Another pickup to check out if you feel the JBs fall a little short are the SD Black Winters. I'm actually thinking about picking some up for a guitar rebuild I'm working on.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Hmmm... I'm looking up videos of people doing demos for all of these. Trying to find videos of people using them with Ibanez guitars and like 75% of the videos are guys with 7 string guitars chugging away. -_- The Nazgul/Sentient pickups sound nice though. I definitely dig.

The JB/Jazz set sound nice too, but they seem like they don't have enough of a punch for me. The tesla VR extreme sounded nice too. So hard to make a decision when I can't just walk into a shop and try them out myself with my gear. errrrr....

But when I play metal, I usually play Protest the Hero/BTBAM sort of shit, if that helps at all. And my guitar is a 6 string by the way.
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
Also came across the SD Pegasus pickup, which is pretty rad too. Might go with Pegasus/Sentient or Nazgul/Sentient. But I'll sleep on it either way. If anyone has any more suggestions, keep em coming. =D
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
Quote by RabidPikachu
Hmmm... I'm looking up videos of people doing demos for all of these.

Chisel & Anvil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK6kUnLa47I&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FcDUT4TlU0&sns=em

Deathbuckers vs EMGs, clean & dirty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmr2zns-SW8&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOE9JyTFk5E&sns=em

Ola Englund demos Tesla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMi6Oqtwbg8&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

i like my duncan distortion.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Oooooooh, that Chisel though... Lol. Errrrr..... decisions decisions...
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
Dimarzio D-Activator or D-Activator X , if you want hotter Super 2 or X2N, which I have in my Ibanez in bridge position and it is great. You never truly get a clean sound with it though. I didn't buy it for that, but for extreme metal and it delivers, great for leads too, don't need overdrive when you have that pickup.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/high-power

For neck, get the PAF Joe, silky creamy smooth, great for leads too, has a certain warmth and growl to it.

The JB/Distortion SD are also a great option.
Quote by RabidPikachu
Also came across the SD Pegasus pickup, which is pretty rad too. Might go with Pegasus/Sentient or Nazgul/Sentient. But I'll sleep on it either way. If anyone has any more suggestions, keep em coming. =D

The Pegasus/Sentient pair is surprisingly versatile, but crushes for modern metal. Worth considering in your research.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
hey Danny , how does the Anvil sound in a full step down , then drop tuning on top of that ?? ....

Been thinking about a new bridge pup for my Fallout , we are a full step down then drop D (or is it called C?) where stock SD JB model TB 4 peters out down low , it just gets quiet and mushy
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Mar 9, 2016,
Quote by RabidPikachu

The JB/Jazz set sound nice too, but they seem like they don't have enough of a punch for me.

Oh trust me, they do. The JB is a hot pickup. And with my 6505, they absolutely kick ass in the right guitar.

The Jazz is a super nice neck pickup too because its output level is nice and low. So it's very articulate, which for a neck pickup is exactly what you want.

They're popular pickups for a reason.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 9, 2016,
I would recommend a liquifire in the neck. The crunch lab is pretty nice for the bridge too.

I am not a fan of the X2N. I have tried them in several guitars and couldn't find them to my liking.

The d-activators are pretty nice too if you want more output than the CL/LQ, but still musical.

I don't really care for JB
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Fumble fingers
hey Danny , how does the Anvil sound in a full step down , then drop tuning on top of that ?? ....

Been thinking about a new bridge pup for my Fallout , we are a full step down then drop D (or is it called C?) where stock SD JB model TB 4 peters out down low , it just gets quiet and mushy

I can't speak directly to the Anvil, but the Chisels in my Reverend Sensei RA are doing wonderfully handling NST: CGCAEG. That's a petty wide range of notes.

My lows are tight, my highs are clean.

Dimarzio breed
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab