I'm building a warmoth jazzmaster and want it to be top notch. I've heard good things about both but I can't really decide. All I know is Staytrem is floating and mastery isn't but I heard floating can be good for jazzmaster style guitars (???) Does anyone have any experience with both or either that they'd wanna share? It could really help me out.

Also I have a squier vm tremolo right now but should I upgrade that too or does it not matter that much? The main perk to a mastery trem would be that they make lefty ones too.
I'm thinking a righty floating trem on a lefty guitar might not be the best of plans.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
They said to specify when ordering but I could totally see problems there. The main reason I'm asking is because I read that they're both good but have a few differences. Also the staytrem's about $70 whereas the mastery's like $180
the staytrem bridge fixed every single issue with my Jazzmaster and improved the tone quite a lot too. I would recommend a staytrem to anyone with a jazzmaster or jaguar.

I haven't tried a mastery, but since the staytrem fixed everything that was broken with the original bridge, I don't see any reason to.

EDIT: I think you can get lefty staytrem bridges too, you just have to contact them and ask for one.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'm looking to replace the bridge on my Blacktop Jazzmasster and would like to get one of these, I know the Mastery Bridges are good but besides the high price, to me, they do not look right on these guitars, they are too high tech and look out of place, these Staytrem bridges look like vintage gear.

My question is since I am located in the U.S. will it be worth purchasing or will I have to pay import duties etc. that would be cost prohibitive, does anyone know? Or do they even ship to the U.S.?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 9, 2016,
I think the staytrem would still be cheaper even if you have to pay more because it's from the UK. I'm from the US too and I've ordered records and pedals from there and I don't think it costed any more. And yeah the mastery ones look kinda off, I still really dig them though

Quote by Blompcube
the staytrem bridge fixed every single issue with my Jazzmaster and improved the tone quite a lot too. I would recommend a staytrem to anyone with a jazzmaster or jaguar.

I haven't tried a mastery, but since the staytrem fixed everything that was broken with the original bridge, I don't see any reason to.

EDIT: I think you can get lefty staytrem bridges too, you just have to contact them and ask for one.

Thanks man! Did you get it with or without the nylon spacers? I'm not sure what the pros/cons would be of either floating or fixed. And yup, they say to add a note when you place the order if you're lefty.
Quote by cowboy_jones
I think the staytrem would still be cheaper even if you have to pay more because it's from the UK. I'm from the US too and I've ordered records and pedals from there and I don't think it costed any more. And yeah the mastery ones look kinda off, I still really dig them though.

I was just wondering I have saw people post on here before that over in some parts of Europe etc., have to pay import tax and stuff when ordering stuff from the U.S. and it made it not worth ordering I just didn't know if the U.S charged similar import fees. I like the Mastery bridge too but I'd rather keep the vintage look on my Jazzmaster.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
I was just wondering I have saw people post on here before that over in some parts of Europe etc., have to pay import tax and stuff when ordering stuff from the U.S. and it made it not worth ordering I just didn't know if the U.S charged similar import fees. I like the Mastery bridge too but I'd rather keep the vintage look on my Jazzmaster.

Same here man, I think I might even go with a mustang bridge if they're just as good
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'm thinking a righty floating trem on a lefty guitar might not be the best of plans.

I must have been more tired than I thought. I KNOW Staytrems do lefty products. That's why I recommended them and Mastery back when cowboy_jones started work on this project.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I must have been more tired than I thought. I KNOW Staytrems do lefty products. That's why I recommended them and Mastery back when cowboy_jones started work on this project.

Yus haha thanks for that btw I'd probably still be okay with the squier if you hadn't told me
Good days & bad days: we all have 'em.

Quote by cowboy_jones
Same here man, I think I might even go with a mustang bridge if they're just as good

I thought about that too but I'm not sure what the radius is on the Mustang bridges, my Blacktop Jazzmaster is 9.5 not 7.5
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

The problem I had with the mustang bridge was the string spacing was too big and didn't match up with the spacing at the tailpiece, so the top and bottom E strings were both prone to popping out of the saddles as a result of the fact they were being forced "outwards" when they were seated in the saddle slots. Bending the high E string above the 5th fret would invariably cause it to pop out of the saddle slot, for example - it was that bad.

The mustang bridge that I had on my Jazzmaster was the reason I bought a Staytrem bridge, basically - and it was a very significant upgrade
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I've never been sorry buying a Mastery Bridge.

If you don't count the credit card bill.
And it's only been once, after all.
And I didn't know that the Staytrem existed.
I think I'm gonna go with the staytrem just cus it's cheaper, floating, and looks more like a vintage bridge. The mastery's still seem great but I'm gonna be using the tremolo a lot so I think floating would be better.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to a mastery tremolo or does that not really matter? The main thing is they make lefty ones so it might be a bit comfortable but if there's not much difference in quality it's not a big deal IMO
Quote by cowboy_jones
The mastery's still seem great but I'm gonna be using the tremolo a lot so I think floating would be better.

The Mastery is such low friction it's a better choice for tremolo use than a floating bridge - its foremost purpose is to be the bridge that makes a JM trem stay in tune. The rocking setup can have issues returning to its original position. I owned one briefly and it really is a great piece of kit, though if tuning issues lie elsewhere on the guitar obviously it won't fix those.

I'd say the three reasons not to get a Mastery are:
1) (Most common) The guitar itself doesn't justify a $200 bridge
2) It doesn't fit the look of the guitar
3) The stock bridge isn't giving you any trouble
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
The Mastery is such low friction it's a better choice for tremolo use than a floating bridge - its foremost purpose is to be the bridge that makes a JM trem stay in tune. The rocking setup can have issues returning to its original position. I owned one briefly and it really is a great piece of kit, though if tuning issues lie elsewhere on the guitar obviously it won't fix those.

I'd say the three reasons not to get a Mastery are:
1) (Most common) The guitar itself doesn't justify a $200 bridge
2) It doesn't fit the look of the guitar
3) The stock bridge isn't giving you any trouble

It's a Warmoth which is why I'm pretty picky about it lol if I'd been able to find a lefty jazzmaster I'd probably keep everything as it was except maybe the pickups
Quote by cowboy_jones
I think I'm gonna go with the staytrem just cus it's cheaper, floating, and looks more like a vintage bridge. The mastery's still seem great but I'm gonna be using the tremolo a lot so I think floating would be better.

Erm, probably no. I think the Mastery is still better and definitely worth the money. I think the word "floating" is confusing you. A floating Floyd Rose is one thing, but a floating bridge that has a separate trem, not so much.

I haven't tired the mastery trem, so can't comment.
That's just what I heard for guitars with surf trems, like the bridge moves when you use the tremolo? I don't think I can really go wrong with either though. Every board/discussion I've seen debating between the two has either been for one or the other, so I think it's more about preference than anything.

Some people said that the staytrem's better because you can adjust intonation and everything, and others say that the mastery's better because it sustains better. I'm sure they're both at least better than the stock bridges though
So I just read that mastery thimbles don't fit in the warmoth bodies so I'd have to sand or redrill it when I get it, so I think I'm gonna go with the staytrem