This guy who has 0 tabs and has barely anything in his profile voted 1 star on my tab.

My tab is obviously descent to have been made official on the search. I have a very good ear for notes, this tab in particular is probably at least 80% right on track but voting it 1 star seems kind of harsh and then he says it sounds nothing like it.

I would believe him if he had like 25 tabs and seemed like some sort of expert but he hadn't contributed anything to this site.

How do we deal with trolls here, can you remove a vote too?
I looked up the tab. It could be better, but it's true it doesen't deserve a 1 star rating. Though I don't think it was a troll. Some people just hate inaccurate tabs. I'll go ahead and give it 3 stars, since it goes along to the song pretty good.
I'm a stickler for formatting. Your tab isn't the best. You took a lot of short cuts, which is very lazy. I can't comment on accuracy, but purely for formatting, I'd rate it ** at best. I'm not going to, but...

I don't put any stock into whether someone has tabs or not. It's like going to a restaurant and not liking what you ordered, and the chef telling you, "what do you know; you're not a chef." It's irrelevant.

Is your tab clear about what notes/chords to play? How difficult is it for readers to follow along with?

Your tab has most of the chords squished together, so it's hard to tell how many times to play each chord. You put [x4] inside of the intro tab, but I don't know what you're telling me to play 4 times; the last note? The entire section before it? Your verse contains 8 notes and then you tell us to repeat it 23 times. Just copy and paste it 23 times.

Don't take it personally, but no, as far as formatting goes, that tab is far from great.

Don't discount someone's criticism just because they don't have any tabs. You're tabbing out songs for readers; not for others who make tabs.

You don't have to make tabs to know whether a tab is good or not. Just by looking at it, you can tell if someone cared enough to take the time and effort to make their tab look good, or if they just didn't really care and took the lazy route.
Last edited by KennyM79 at Mar 9, 2016,
Which tab are you talkin about?
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
On top of my previous comment, that guy gave you a reasonable explanation for why he voted the way he did. Trolls don't operate that way.
Last edited by KennyM79 at Mar 9, 2016,
Quote by KennyM79 at #33871560
I'm a stickler for formatting.
Formatting as you yourself see fit, that is. I see all the poor ratings you give other tabs. Granted, they're old, but you seem to be hypercritical of others without understanding notation as a whole.

Your tab isn't the best. You took a lot of short cuts, which is very lazy. I can't comment on accuracy, but purely for formatting, I'd rate it ** at best. I'm not going to, but...
Good you didn't rate, because the correction queue is full of your destructive vitriol.

Your tab has most of the chords squished together, so it's hard to tell how many times to play each chord.
I'll give you this. It's under "things to not do" in the rubric.

You put [x4] inside of the intro tab, but I don't know what you're telling me to play 4 times; the last note?
This is also fair, to a point.

The entire section before it? Your verse contains 8 notes and then you tell us to repeat it 23 times. Just copy and paste it 23 times.
NO, this is allowed under UG tab formatting guidelines. Effing check.

Repetition has been done for the past millennium at least; are you going to say that every composer from then until now is wrong and lazy?

The section labels leave people wanting, but the way you do not leave room for others' perspectives on tab-making is at best close-minded and at worst maliciously dogmatic.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Well, I just played along with your transcription and the actual song. The only thing is that "Bridge/Ending" Section sounds a bit off to me. It sounds like it's playing off an E5 chord (open position) hammering on/off to a G note.

I do agree with the chords being squashed together makes the tab a bit harder to read at times. This may be especially true if a player is rather new to reading tabs (ala, a beginner).

Also, I do agree that there are also a phrase missing between the chords (D5;C5 and G5;E5 in the intro).

To me, it sounds like you can't take criticism for your work. It shouldn't matter if someone is a contributor for the site or not. The guy did give you some decent advice (even though you did have quite a bit that was correct), so why should we have a moderator remove that guys criticism even though is was rather constructive? Personally, you sound rather immature.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by NeoMvsEu
Formatting as you yourself see fit
Of course, as I can't speak for anybody else.

Quote by NeoMvsEu
you seem to be hypercritical of others without understanding notation as a whole.
I'm totally open to the idea that I could be hypercritical. That being said, though, I don't expect anything more from you than I do myself.

I believe my understanding of notation is just fine. A new player may not have the same understanding, so making notations clear of their meaning is rather important.

Quote by NeoMvsEu
Quote by KennyM79
Your verse contains 8 notes and then you tell us to repeat it 23 times. Just copy and paste it 23 times.
NO, this is allowed under UG tab formatting guidelines.
That's fair. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Quote by NeoMvsEu
the way you do not leave room for others' perspectives on tab-making is at best close-minded and at worst maliciously dogmatic.
I'll take that. I'll try to be more open in the future. Although I'll remind you that my vote alone doesn't get anybody's tab approved or denied. Just because I vote one way or another based on my own spectrum doesn't make it final.
Quote by KennyM79
I'm a stickler for formatting. Your tab isn't the best. You took a lot of short cuts, which is very lazy. I can't comment on accuracy, but purely for formatting, I'd rate it ** at best. I'm not going to, but...

I don't put any stock into whether someone has tabs or not. It's like going to a restaurant and not liking what you ordered, and the chef telling you, "what do you know; you're not a chef." It's irrelevant.

Is your tab clear about what notes/chords to play? How difficult is it for readers to follow along with?

Your tab has most of the chords squished together, so it's hard to tell how many times to play each chord. You put [x4] inside of the intro tab, but I don't know what you're telling me to play 4 times; the last note? The entire section before it? Your verse contains 8 notes and then you tell us to repeat it 23 times. Just copy and paste it 23 times.

Don't take it personally, but no, as far as formatting goes, that tab is far from great.

Don't discount someone's criticism just because they don't have any tabs. You're tabbing out songs for readers; not for others who make tabs.

You don't have to make tabs to know whether a tab is good or not. Just by looking at it, you can tell if someone cared enough to take the time and effort to make their tab look good, or if they just didn't really care and took the lazy route.

The formatting is not perfect, but it's not that bad. The only thing I'm having a problem with is writing the chords so close to each other.

Also, if you use a txt tab to learn songs, you usually listen to the song to get the rhythms and everything correct. I don't have a problem with the repetition signs. Listen to the song and you know what it means.

Also, if the same thing repeats 23 times, it's not good to copy-paste it 23 times there. If you do that, somebody who reads it has to read every single bar note for note to see if the riff changes. It's much easier to read with the repeat sign because that way you know that there is just one riff that you need to repeat over and over again.

If a song had a repeating four chord progression, I wouldn't write out every single chord change. I would rather write something like

"Verse progression: Am-F-G-C, play 8 times"

Not

"Am-F-G-C-Am-F-G-C-Am-F-G-C-Am-F-G-C-Am-F-G-C-Am-F-G-C-Am-F-G-C-Am-F-G-C"

It's obvious that the former is much easier to read. And it also tells more about the form of the song. You don't need to look at each chord separately - you can see the structure of the section right away. It's easier to just play the four chord progression 8 times than to read each chord individually. I think when playing music, understanding the structure of the song is really important. And the former one tells a lot more about the structure.

I do agree with the restaurant analogy, though. Even if people aren't good at tabbing songs, they can pretty easily tell if it sounds right or wrong.

TS, the tab is pretty inaccurate and has a lot of mistakes in it. To be honest, I understand why somebody would rate it with 1 star. The only correct part in it is the chorus.

I don't know if I would rate it with 1 star, but IMO 3 stars is too much because it's just not accurate at all.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 9, 2016,
Quote by MaggaraMarine

I don't know if I would rate it with 1 star, but IMO 3 stars is too much because it's just not accurate at all.

I actually rated 3 stars mainly to even it out, since it doesen't deserve that 1 star status.. But anyway
Well the reason I put like X4 was because sometimes I like to print out the tabs so I can read them while I play and I don't want to print more than 1 page to a song.

I'm not sure exactly if its allowed or frowned upon or whatever, I can honestly say I was not trying to be lazy, maybe the tab is wrong. This is just a power chord fairly easy punk song.

Do you guys think I should of spaced out the chords more, even if its the same note 8 times?

I will be honest I've never had a guitar lesson so I am not sure of intros or verses or what they are so I may be putting the terms wrong.

I really just went with what tabs I saw on the site and did a similar format.

Its just that imo this guy randomly comes says your stuff is crap and he doesn't have anything to show for it either and doesn't give you an idea how to improve it.

I think there should be constructed criticism rather than destructive.
^ You may be taking the criticism the wrong way. The tab is inaccurate because it has wrong chords in it. The way you label song sections is not a problem. I could follow the structure easily.

Absolutely use repeat signs! It makes the tab so much easier to follow. As I said, I completely disagreed with Kenny on that.

Do you guys think I should of spaced out the chords more, even if its the same note 8 times?

Yes. It's always good to have at least one space between every chord. Makes it easier to read.

The formatting is really not the worst part of the tab.

The issue I'm having with the tab is that the only correct part is the chorus. All the other parts are just inaccurate.

The intro riff is not correct.

It goes something like this (don't know if the fingerings are what they use but these are the correct notes):

&   1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 2 3 4 &   1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 2 3 4
Eb|---------------------------------------------------------
Bb|---------------------------------------------------------
Gb|-------------------5-------------------------------------
Db|-------------------5---------------------------2---------
Ab|-7-7-7-----5-------3---------3-3-3-2-0---------2---------
Eb|-------8-0-----5-0---------------------3---2-0-0---------

The verse riff is not correct. It should be E|-5-3-2-0

The pre-chorus chords are not correct. The correct chords are Cm-Ab x3 G-Ab(5)-Bb(5). To me sounds like the rhythm guitar is playing power chords and there's some kind of a lead played over that.

The ending is not correct.

It goes something like this, though to me it sounds like they vary it a bit. But you get the idea.

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
Eb|---------------------------------
Bb|---------------------------------
Gb|---------------------------------
Db|-2-2-----2-2-----2-2-2-8---8---8-
Ab|-2-2-----2-2-----2-2-2-8---8---8-
Eb|-0-0-3-3-0-0-3p0-0-0-0-6---6---6-

The guy who commented, gave you reasons and even made corrections. He is not a troll. You just sound like somebody who doesn't take criticism well.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115