Page 1 of 2
I know B.B. King and even guys like Keith Richards have named their guitars with "people names." Then there's Jimmy Page w/ his numerical naming and Eric Clapton with his basic naming "Blackie."

Do you or know guys that name their guitars? If so, are they "people names" or what?
I name my good ones
So I remember people a little better
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Andy had a person name for his on The Office.
Never personally known anybody to do it in real life.
@Pastafarian96 Lol remember people a little better? What do you mean? You relate guitars to certain people?

@EyeNon15 haha I never knew that. Since he's a dweeb, him naming a guitar sounds like a dweeb thing to do now haha jk.

I normally call my SG "SG", RG "RG", and my Strat "Strat." But I recently built a Warmoth and its model name is kinda lame. I just don't know what to call it lol. My girlfriend calls my guitars by their color which I thought maybe I should too. Bite off of Eric Clapton haha.
Quote by marytakesadrag
@Pastafarian96 Lol remember people a little better? What do you mean? You relate guitars to certain people?

SG - Laura: First guitar named after first friend
P Bass - Dylan: The guy I learned bass at the same time as
Telecaster - Georgia: Got the guitar around the same time we started being friends
J Bass - Chase: Best bass playing friend gets the best bass named after her
Main ukulele - Kaylea: Best ukulele friend gets main uke named after her
Mandolin - Brayden: Only other person that even attempted the instrument in high school, he learned a bit after me but ended up leaving, stopped playing after that.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

I name my guitars with peoples names. I feel that I can develop a stronger relation to the instrument that way.
@Pastafarian96 Pretty cool. I like the connections. Meaningful.

@maxxxkolo and rebel scum. What names did you guys use? If you don't mind me asking.
Imagine having a few acquantances coming over to your house and one of them casually asks if you play guitar having seen your Strat hanging on the wall.

"Sure thing, buddy. I'll just go and get down 'Mona' from upstairs.

You also gesture to the Strat on the wall.

"You can have a little play around with 'Sasha' over there if you like."

And that is why I don't name my guitars.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 9, 2016,
Girls names, some cliche (like based on what the guitar looks like), some with minor reasoning but never after someone I know or anything personal. They have to have their own "thing" if you will.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Imagine having a few acquantances coming over to your house and one of them casually asks if you play guitar having seen your Strat hanging on the wall.

And that is why I don't name my guitars.

Yeah see, its not really something you say in general conversation. That would be weird.
People naming their guitars is weird.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Rebel Scum
Yeah see, its not really something you say in general conversation. That would be weird.

exactly, just a personal thing as amusement and attachment
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Years ago I was in a band and our practice studio had this crappy red guitar with a Megadeth sticker on it that no one ever wanted to play. We called it Ole Red.
Ole Red is in my dad's garage now, I completely forget about it until this thread.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Hahaha nice one. Yah, I guess it can get a bit weird (albeit funny at the same time haha)

@JackalUK yah so far, I do the same thing.

@EyeNon15 Haha I like that story. The name adds character to the story too. Poor Ole Red... sounds like a cougar that hasn't had hands on her for years lol.

I forgot to mention in my OP that naming guitars in the 60s and 70s seemed popular (such as my examples) but nowadays, don't really hear it often.
My D12 is dated the same day that Jerry Stackhouse was born so I considered calling her White Jerry Stackhouse but everyone knows that instruments are female and so that is no good.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I had a Schecter Gryphon that I called Peter....get it? Peter Gryphon? That's about it though
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Last edited by RCA1186 at Mar 9, 2016,
Used to. Don't anymore. Seems somewhat trite to me these days.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I call my guitar Craig cause I like to grip wood.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Named my les paul paulie and my schecter with bat inlays barb after bat girl
I named my black Jackson Dinky Galaxy because it black with some white on it, and my girlfriend's name is Alexi, and she likes when I call her Alaxy, it kinda just worked out. But I don't address my guitar by its name.
My Telecoustic is named Sunny, my Strat is named SuzyQ, and my Tele is named Gypsy. My banjo (also a Fender) is named Ben (for some reason, banjos are male). My Fender amp is named Thunder, for obvious reasons...
Quote by GoblinKeeper
for some reason, banjos are male).

no they're not
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
the only reason we call them anything is because they have names though
has always been a dorky thing to do tbh.

like saying stuff like "lick" too

my guitars were always inanimate, nameless objects to me. maybe thats why it was so easily to ditch them.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
my guitars were always inanimate, nameless objects to me. maybe thats why it was so easily to ditch them.

or maybe it was because you sucked
Quote by theogonia777
or maybe it was because you sucked

well that was the reason why I decide to drop it

not naming them just made it super easy/no tears cause I wasn't worshiping a chunk of wood and ditching my "beloved"
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I named each of my drums, cymbals and drum sticks.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I named 2 of my 5 guitars. One Angel because my Dad gave it to me on his death bed and after he died it was one of the only things that comforted me. And another is called Rhyder after what my Dad initially wanted to name me. Never cared enough about the acoustics to name them.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Eh my acoustic is Firenze, my bass Félix, both pronounced in a French way. I value them all, which is why I gave them names, and their brand names both begin with F, so why the heck not
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Page 1 of 2