Hello hello! I came across this whitesnake track this morning and I'm not sure who the guitarist is as they have had a few over the years, either sounds like sykes or vai, guessing vai as he's more into using the tremolo. Anyways I'll post the clip, there are two techniques I'm not sure About.

https://youtu.be/Nzb2K6kd9vA ( starts at 2:10, 1st at 2:24 there is like a "bird tweeting" sound. And 2nd at 2:39)

Cheers.
First one, the bird tweeting sound, just sounds like he's going crazy with the tremolo bar, possibly playing a pinch harmonic. So, if you have a locking trem, just rock it like crazy, I doubt there's more to it than that.

The second one sounds like a dive bomb, again maybe with harmonics. Try hitting natural harmonics on multiple strings at the same time, maybe at the fifth fret, and dive bomb.

Both parts simply seem to utilize the tremolo bar, maybe with pinch and natural harmonics.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
john sykes, not vai, so good news is you don't have to go out to buy a fan

1st one it sounds like he might be sliding up the fretboard high up maybe with either the pick or with fingers of his picking hand (do it a couple of times to get that sound- almost like a backwards pick scrape as it goes up in pitch)

2nd one just sounds like a note high up the fretboard with very wide vibrato (sykes has a very wide vibrato as one of his trademarks i think).

unless you mean the divebomb just after that high note which is, er, a divebomb with the trem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Thanks for the chuckle!
Quote by Kevätuhri
First one, the bird tweeting sound, just sounds like he's going crazy with the tremolo bar, possibly playing a pinch harmonic. So, if you have a locking trem, just rock it like crazy, I doubt there's more to it than that.

The second one sounds like a dive bomb, again maybe with harmonics. Try hitting natural harmonics on multiple strings at the same time, maybe at the fifth fret, and dive bomb.

Both parts simply seem to utilize the tremolo bar, maybe with pinch and natural harmonics.

Ok thanks for the tips it is pretty wild solo haha. Sadly I don't haha but maybe in the future I'll get an guitar with just that!
Quote by Dave_Mc

1st one it sounds like he might be sliding up the fretboard high up maybe with either the pick or with fingers of his picking hand (do it a couple of times to get that sound- almost like a backwards pick scrape as it goes up in pitch)

2nd one just sounds like a note high up the fretboard with very wide vibrato (sykes has a very wide vibrato as one of his trademarks i think).

unless you mean the divebomb just after that high note which is, er, a divebomb with the trem.

Ahh it is Skyes thanks! I know who Skyes is as I've seen him with thin lizzy..not live sadly, just the trem part made me think vai! Aha sadly I don't have the hair for that

It does sound like that yes, a pick against the strings. Thanks I'll attempt to try that simple but I like that sound Haha.

I meant that screeching guitar sound hehe makes maybe natural harmonics as someone stated. The solo Mr Mars plays on Dr feelgood has that technique
^ it might just be a high note with wide vibrato to make it really scream. just what makes me think it might be that rather than a pinch harmonic is you can hear him going up the neck, so it might make more sense that he'd be hitting a regular (non-harmonic) note high up the neck than a harmonic lower down the neck. But I could well be wrong.

Quote by Arron_Zacx

Thanks for the chuckle!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?