Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. What exactly do you guys listen to metal for? Is it the surface level qualities (e.g. how each individual riff sounds, regardless of the quality of the arrangement) or does composition matter to you also? Do you feel how a good metal song progresses, increases and decreases in tension and whatnot, or is that not important to you?

I thought I'd ask this, as quite a bit (but by no means all) of modern metal seems to ignore composition and focus only on the surface qualities of the music, leading to tracks with no direction and jarring transitions from one idea to the next (*cough*BTBAM*cough*RoS*cough*). I'll have to admit that I didn't make this discovery entirely independently; the website Death Metal Underground (formerly the Dark Legions Archive) often writes pieces analysing and reviewing metal with both good and bad composition. They certainly educated me and helped open my eyes to what was happening underneath the surface.

But yeah, what about you guys?
It really depends. My first metal bands, the ones I grew up listening to, were FtR-era Bodom, Sinthetic-era Shade Empire, and Tarja-era Nightwish. So for me, the appeal was always a strong emphasis on melody and structure. These melodies, to me, were considerably deeper and more complex than what I'd heard in other genres prior.

Within those subgenres of old-school melodeath, symphonic metal, etc., I find no shortage of good compositions. But in some of the more popular subgenres, which I really struggle to get into lately, there seems to be less of a feeling of listening to a "song" as much as "a bunch of riffs stapled together in an arbitrarily-decided order."

Just my two cents.
I listen to music for the emotion. Technical stuff is neat, but if it doesn't come from an honest place, I don't think I really care.

As I usually look for music based in sadness or anger, metal seems appropriate. I am drawn to it for that reason. Same goes for hardcore and whatever else has those feelings.

This extends to "sad" melodies.

...I don't know what I listen to metal for. I guess it has so much to offer I could hardly ignore it. It appeals to me.
Same reason I read a book or watch a movie: Entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
RAGE.
And serenity.

Its an odd balance. The yin and Yang of life really.

EDIT: Not surprised at all the first response involved boner.
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Quote by severed-metal

...I don't know what I listen to metal for. I guess it has so much to offer I could hardly ignore it. It appeals to me.

Yes
Metal just has something about it. I could never put into words.

I remember reading an article that says people who love metal are usually higher-level thinkers, although not necessarily smarter. We just view the world from a higher perspective than the average person can (according to whatever I read).

Maybe that's why?
Quote by IRONMAIDENTLICA
RAGE.
And serenity.

Its an odd balance. The yin and Yang of life really.

EDIT: Not surprised at all the first response involved boner.

That really does make sense to me. Great way of putting it!
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Same reason I read a book or watch a movie: Entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.

On a fundamental level I'm sure that is true, but what is entertaining is different for everyone so for me it would be better defined as an experience that carries with it something of value. Sometimes this is as simple as an appreciation for riffcraft or an emotional response even.
A raging boner
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Morphogenesis26
What do I get from metal? My penis gets bigger and stronger with every Autopsy song I listen to.

we arent meant to make this knowledge public or we will lose our advantage
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Morphogenesis26
What do I get from metal? My penis gets bigger and stronger with every Autopsy song I listen to.

LMAO!!!!
Quote by ChemicalFire
A raging boner

Well obviously, although I didn't really feel like starting a thread with a declaration of my only fetish lol
Quote by MayhemGuitarist
Listening to some Hatebreed and Pantera while working out is the shit

Settle down.
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Quote by MayhemGuitarist
Listening to some Hatebreed and Pantera while working out is shit

agree
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Pantera and Hatebreed is for cucks.

Early Suffocation and Deicide were my workout albums
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
yeah Effigies is great for workout. so is Considered Dead, Inside the Unreal and World Downfall. any fast paced osdm really
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

An excuse to watch men talk about boners on the internet
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Listening to Medieval Steel makes me hard as steel. As in I get a humongo boner.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

What do I get out of metal? I took a snippet of the thread that said it has 666 views. But I don't know how to post the picture. That"s what I get out of metal.
DETERMINED
Look. It's metal. You know. You know that I know. We all know. Which, coincidentally, I mean... not everyone knows. But the people who know... they know. They get it. I get it. We all get it... except the people that don't get it. But hey... we're not worried about them. They'll learn. We'll make 'em. We've got the best people. The BEST! I mean, if you look at it... any way you look at it, it's huge! It's HUGE! I mean... it's right there in front of your face! How can you not tell? You have to be blind! And that's no offense to blind people... I know a lot of blind people. The blind? They're great! I love blind people. Maybe they can't see it, but they can feel it. And they know. So, that's the plan. That's what we're gonna do. I don't wanna say HOW were gonna do it, but were gonna do it. Believe me. It's gonna happen. And everyone will know. Seriously. It's gonna be big. Massive. HUGE. That's what I get out of metal. And I'm a charitable guy. Just look at my record. I've made huge donations, so you know I'm gonna spread the wealth. We're gonna spread the seed all over this great nation. I love spreading seeds, we all do. But we have to get more people on board. And we will, trust me. Again, I can't say how, but we're gonna do it, and the fucking Jews are gonna pay for it. They're gonna pay for it, no question about it. We'll make 'em.
They're not sending their best - they're sending their rapists, their criminals, their guitgrinders. And we're gonna build a wall. And we're gonna make guitgrinder pay for it!

Quote by guitgrinder
^Found the Jew.

Found the Soros funded agent provocateur

Metal is mostly garbage. But the Metal that isn't garbage, like BTBAM, Converge, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon, etc, provide something that basically no other genres can - a combination of songwriting, technical prowess, and an emotional core that gives context and meaning to those things.

I like bands that sing about things that actually matter. Metallica's "Dyer's Eve" is a song that *means* something, meanwhile a song like "Enter Sandman" is utterly meaningless to me. Dyer's Eve was James expressing his anger and frustration at his religious parents for the way they raised him, and the scars he carried from having been raised that way. Dyer's Eve is a masterpiece. "Enter Sandman" is about a scary boogeyman. James didn't have a personal attachment to those lyrics, so those lyrics didn't really mean anything to *him*, and so they don't mean anything to me.

I listen to music to find people expressing, through song, something that is important to them. Say what you will about Megadeth, but at least with their early work, there were clear moments where Dave was singing about shit that mattered to him - Hook in Mouth was an anti-PMRC song, and that's one of my favorite Megadeth songs.

Bottom line, Metal is the genre where a personal statement can be taken as far as it can go. BTBAM's "White Walls" is a perfect example of this. Same with Mastodon's Crack the Skye and any of Tool's records.
If there is a God, it's me.
You said "metal that isn't grabage," then listed like 5 bands that are pretty much garbage metalcore. Oh, and you say you don't like songs that aren't deeply personal to the songwriter, citing Enter Sandman as your main example, but you praise Mastodon...who aren't exactly known for deeply personal lyrics, but fucking whales and prehistoric beasts.

Also, Enter Sandman's lyrics aren't that far off from something Dio might pen. The music Metallica presents is different that what Dio's band would do, but Dio would totally sing about the same shit James sings... the Sandman, beasts, dragons & night. (See: YouTube video "Dio loves the Night)

Edit: not trying to start a war, just seemed like some of your logic was a bit flawed
Last edited by guitgrinder at Apr 14, 2016,
I think all of this boils down to some twisted biased view of what music really is. Music isn't a "scene" in which you can dictate what is "progressive" or what is "emotionally relevant" I think that is complete bullshit. With that said, we _hopefully_ can all agree that Nickelback is obviously not Metal and obviously not worth a second thought.. its trash. I typically don't have an opinion on the matter as people find their own interests in music.. but to say.. inherently.. BTBAM or Mastodon... are superior.. that is the same as saying Nickelback is Black Metal infused with elements of Rock.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Page 1 of 2