Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, im a local musician in the tampa bay area i play for a few different bands and im looking into getting a new amp looking to spending $300-$500. This amp will mostly be used for gigging and i have a nice amp stand and a shure sm57 to mic it into the PA. Ive looked at a few of the Orange amps and recently tested a fender super champ and a mustang III. any insight would be amazing!
What music are you planning on playing? Combo or Head? If its an amp head do you already have a cab?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
New as in not used? In that price range, going used will open up tons more options.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr at #33871781
New as in not used? In that price range, going used will open up tons more options.

Totally.

With your price range, you should seriously be considering used if you want the best bang for your buck.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you're considering the Fender Mustang III (v2) go the extra step and add the optional 4btn fsw. It adds significantly versatility!

The 4btn fsw is included with the Mustang IV (v2), and the MIV's FX Loop and XLR Line Outs are true stereo! The MIV 2x12 sounds noticably fuller than the MIII, and also has 150w for more headroom.

Either of these also accept the Fender EXP-1 Expression and Volume Pedal, allowing quick and easy control of any individually selected FX parameter you wish to save to each of the Amp's 100 Presets.

Both the MIII and MIV are open back cabinet designs. Most Amp stands don't fit as the stands' rear support bracket arms do not fully span the horizontal nor vertical opening. You will need to improvise some sort of additional bracing or support at the rear. The On Stage Stands RS7500 Tilt back stand does not have this problem. It is very heavy duty and works great! The StageLine Stands AS5 Amp Stand, is also easily enhanced using inexpensive extension sticks to support the back of the Amp. Simply remove the end caps from the bracket arms and insert a cut to fit stick. Hardware stores and lumber yards sell 4 foot long 1/2" x 1" Oak sticks. Cut it in half and rip about 1/8" from the edges for the proper insertion length. Some additonal sanding will be needed to fit. They work great! And look sort of like a boat Oar. Leaving a bit of extra length extending above the top of the amp helps to hold a looped cable, etc.

For more user info about the Fender Mustangs Google for the Mustang Wiki link.

If you use Android the Remuda app has full amp support, editing of Presets, and a Performance Mode that sets your amp Presets as you select your Song/Set List.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Last edited by MusicLaw at Mar 9, 2016,
You can do much better than the Mustang.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hey, MusicLaw. We get it. You get a raging boner every time someone mentions a Fender Mustang amp.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Hey, MusicLaw. We get it. You get a raging boner every time someone mentions a Fender Mustang amp.

I lol'd.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Look into Bugera's tube amps. But with that you could also get a used Peavey 5150 if you're lucky.
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
I have a 4x12 cab but let's face it, most venues dont have a giant stage that supports 4 musicians and all their gear. Im definitely leaning in the "used" department i have some friends that can fix virtually any issue i could have. Thank you Music Law for actually leaving some useful feedback!! definitely wanting to try to get a combo amp just for ease of use purposes alone. https://www.reverbnation.com/tropicaldisturbance here is a link to my bands reverb nation page to give an idea of some of the tones i already have. ( on these recordings i did all the rhythm, lead, and bass parts)
Buy that^ that is a pretty good orice. I live in Tampa and if i had more room, I would be all over it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/5417876788.html

Classic 30 for $300? I really don't like the DSL401. It is not at all like the other DSL models. I had one for about a week, and it was just a buzzy little box of gross.

There's also this Fender Deluxe at $425:
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/5481885511.html

And an Egnater Rebel 20 for $475:
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/5457178927.html
Quote by ThunderPunk

It's like dspellman and his boner for Carvin amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It's like dspellman and his boner for Carvin amps

You mean line 6
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
You mean line 6

well that too, and full range speakers

but we still like you dspellman
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Donzin2002,

Cool tunes and photos on your band's page!

Buy new if you can afford to do so! That way you're not dealing with someone else's (used gear) headaches!

BTW, Guitar Center's running their 15% Off Friends and Family deal. Ordering from them is a breeze. Even if the gear needs to ship from their main Kansas City Distribution Center, best to have it go to the store to assure all is okay. With GC's 30 day satisfaction guarantee, you've got no risk if you don't like or choose to keep the gear.

If you're not inclined to learn the Mustang's full capabilities, then go with what suits you. Unlike traditional plug and play amps, there's a whole lot more to the Mustang than many people can handle. Some get downright frustrated as you can see from ThunderPuke's comment.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
appreciate all the advice so far. and thanks for posting some craigslist ads! a few of them are a little outdated and i haven't heard a reply back from anyone yet. Keep it up if you can, the more time that passes before i find an amp the more cash i have to spend on one haha. Really appreciate the advice so far thank you all
Quote by MusicLaw
Donzin2002,

Cool tunes and photos on your band's page!

Buy new if you can afford to do so! That way you're not dealing with someone else's (used gear) headaches!

BTW, Guitar Center's running their 15% Off Friends and Family deal. Ordering from them is a breeze. Even if the gear needs to ship from their main Kansas City Distribution Center, best to have it go to the store to assure all is okay. With GC's 30 day satisfaction guarantee, you've got no risk if you don't like or choose to keep the gear.

If you're not inclined to learn the Mustang's full capabilities, then go with what suits you. Unlike traditional plug and play amps, there's a whole lot more to the Mustang than many people can handle. Some get downright frustrated as you can see from ThunderPuke's comment.

Trash amp is trash.

Used is a better way to go if you know what you are looking for.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by MusicLaw
Some get downright frustrated as you can see from ThunderPuke's comment.

It's not about frustration. I'm just not tone deaf. - I'm busting your chops. The Mustang isn't my cup of tea, but I'm glad that you like it and it floats your boat.

To the OP. If you are willing to buy used, there are a ton of options in your price range that can cover the territory of what you play. Folks have recommended some great amplifiers: Peavey Classic, Valveking, JSX, DSL40. All of these can cover a lot of territory sonically and will be reliable for many years. There are other options that haven't been suggested yet such as a Carvin Nomad, Crate V50, or even a Fender Evil Twin or "The Twin" which would be right up your alley if you could stretch your budget just a little bit higher.

Link below to a red knob The Twin - believe this model has the Rivera circuit. Someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm not correct.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/THE-TWIN-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111853373.gc
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Mar 10, 2016,
Quote by ThunderPunk
It's not about frustration. I'm just not tone deaf. - I'm busting your chops. The Mustang isn't my cup of tea, but I'm glad that you like it and it floats your boat.

To the OP. If you are willing to buy used, there are a ton of options in your price range that can cover the territory of what you play. Folks have recommended some great amplifiers: Peavey Classic, Valveking, JSX, DSL40. All of these can cover a lot of territory sonically and will be reliable for many years. There are other options that haven't been suggested yet such as a Carvin Nomad, Crate V50, or even a Fender Evil Twin or "The Twin" which would be right up your alley if you could stretch your budget just a little bit higher.

Link below to a red knob The Twin - believe this model has the Rivera circuit. Someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm not correct.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/THE-TWIN-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111853373.gc

thanks for the info!! thats a good price for the The twin. with tax and shipping it adds about $100 onto it
Quote by donzin2002
awesome info guys!! im going to check this peavey valveking out before my gig tomorrow http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/5477883688.html

chances are ill be able to get it for $200... should i grab this or spend an extra couple hundred and try to find something better?

I would not pay over $200 for it.

Plan on getting a new speaker.

Tubes wouldn't hurt either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by PiercedBand
Look into Bugera's tube amps. But with that you could also get a used Peavey 5150 if you're lucky.

I'd vote against the Bugera. I made the mistake of buying a 333 tube combo despite all of the negative reviews, because it was a cheaper end tube amp, and it burnt out 30 minutes into playing it the first time. Sure, it could have been a fluke, but it was enough to turn me off of Bugera.

To the OP, I would argue against buying a new tube amp that is in your price range, at that range I believe that solid state is the way to go. I would also argue for waiting, saving up some money, and purchasing a quality amp if you are serious into music. But to each their own.
Quote by mikehasastrat7
I'd vote against the Bugera. I made the mistake of buying a 333 tube combo despite all of the negative reviews, because it was a cheaper end tube amp, and it burnt out 30 minutes into playing it the first time. Sure, it could have been a fluke, but it was enough to turn me off of Bugera.

To the OP, I would argue against buying a new tube amp that is in your price range, at that range I believe that solid state is the way to go. I would also argue for waiting, saving up some money, and purchasing a quality amp if you are serious into music. But to each their own.

i appreciate the feedback. do you have some suggestions?
i have roughly a $600 budget at the moment and with every passing week this budget could potentially grow. im booked for a ton of gigs for the remainder of the month and into april. My gig money isnt really budgeted into my current bills as i have another job as well.
Quote by donzin2002
i appreciate the feedback. do you have some suggestions?

My suggestion is to save your money and get a quality amp. Currently I'm running a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 through an orange 2X12 cabinet. It took me a long time to commit to such an expensive head and cabinet set up, but I'm so I did.

In an ideal world, I'd have numerous amps - and that's just because so many amps are perfect for just one or two genres, which isn't a bad thing. One day, I'll have a recording room complete with a Fender amp, ENGL, Peavey, Orange, Marshall, etc, but until then my H & K can create beautiful tones for any genre I want to play.

In total, I spent about 6 months truly researching amps and cabinets before I committed to it. Ultimately, it's your money, and it's your sound. If music is your passion, even nearly as much as it is mine, then if you get a cheap amp I guarantee in a year you're going to be kicking yourself in the ass. Have some patience, and start youtubing every amp you could possibly be interested in, you would be surprised at how many different reviews and combinations there are. Just because the H & K through the Orange is my perfect sound, doesn't mean you would even like it. And if you can actually find the amp you want and play it with YOUR guitar, I would definitely do that. I took the risk of buying without trying, and it just worked out for me. (except with that Bugera...)

At the risk of being lambasted, I will argue against getting a Marshall, though. Unless your have about $2000 to spend on just the head, it's going to sound like shit, and even then, I think Marshalls are a one trick pony. Just my opinion, as this whole post has been.

Good luck, brother - I know how frustrating it is to find your sound with SO many options, but I guarantee it is the most rewarding experience when you plug in and play.
Quote by mikehasastrat7
My suggestion is to save your money and get a quality amp. Currently I'm running a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 through an orange 2X12 cabinet. It took me a long time to commit to such an expensive head and cabinet set up, but I'm so I did.

In an ideal world, I'd have numerous amps - and that's just because so many amps are perfect for just one or two genres, which isn't a bad thing. One day, I'll have a recording room complete with a Fender amp, ENGL, Peavey, Orange, Marshall, etc, but until then my H & K can create beautiful tones for any genre I want to play.

In total, I spent about 6 months truly researching amps and cabinets before I committed to it. Ultimately, it's your money, and it's your sound. If music is your passion, even nearly as much as it is mine, then if you get a cheap amp I guarantee in a year you're going to be kicking yourself in the ass. Have some patience, and start youtubing every amp you could possibly be interested in, you would be surprised at how many different reviews and combinations there are. Just because the H & K through the Orange is my perfect sound, doesn't mean you would even like it. And if you can actually find the amp you want and play it with YOUR guitar, I would definitely do that. I took the risk of buying without trying, and it just worked out for me. (except with that Bugera...)

At the risk of being lambasted, I will argue against getting a Marshall, though. Unless your have about $2000 to spend on just the head, it's going to sound like shit, and even then, I think Marshalls are a one trick pony. Just my opinion, as this whole post has been.

Good luck, brother - I know how frustrating it is to find your sound with SO many options, but I guarantee it is the most rewarding experience when you plug in and play.

thanks man, ive personally been playing for about 13 years now and ive been doing it as a source of income for about 3. I really appreciate the honest feedback everyone has posted. i must admit i didn't think this forum would produce useful results
mikehasastrat7 - I think you're safe recommending against the Marshall this time around. If the OP was looking for hard rock tones, a Marshall would work well. For Reggae type music, cleans are king.

The classic Fender clean is what the OP is looking for.
Another amp that has pretty solid cleans is the Roland JC-120. The gain channel on it leaves a lot to be desired, but the cleans are certainly the selling point of that amp - plus the chorus aspect too.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Mar 14, 2016,
Obvious answer is jet city. Those are sweet little amps finally got a chance to play one a few weeks ago definitely in your range especially used.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
What kind of music does you band play? If you're into playing just one genre and settle on songs from a handful of bands then I guess flexibility isn't a big consideration. Used tube amps may save you money but then it's hard to check the condition of the tubes (tube testers being all but extinct) so there's the cost of a re-tube to consider on top of the price for a used amp.
If you're in a cover band playing very different songs from across the spectrum then many amps won't be flexible enough unless you're happy with your guitar sounding basically the same in every song.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
What kind of music does you band play? If you're into playing just one genre and settle on songs from a handful of bands then I guess flexibility isn't a big consideration. Used tube amps may save you money but then it's hard to check the condition of the tubes (tube testers being all but extinct) so there's the cost of a re-tube to consider on top of the price for a used amp.
If you're in a cover band playing very different songs from across the spectrum then many amps won't be flexible enough unless you're happy with your guitar sounding basically the same in every song.

His band plays Reggae, Rock, and Ska according to their ReverbNation site. From the sound of their tunes, they primarily use gain for lead/melody parts.

Clean amp with a tube screamer type pedal would be best for OP considering his budget.
I think a JSX used would probably be his best bet. Fender cleans, Marshall crunch, Mesa lead, best of all worlds.

The H&K is not too bad for the price, I think they might throw a few too many gimmicks in there to do all it says it does, but $1200 for the head that does all that, if it does it well, is actually a bargain.
The Orange Crush series amps aren't really great sounding amps. They're entry level solid state amps. Basically - you get the orange look and that's about it. Same with the Marshall MG series stuff, has the logo on the front, but doesn't offer much else beyond that. The Twin with a nice pedal will get you there. Click the Youtube link below and grab some good headphones.

Fender The Twin
Page 1 of 2