https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjbOLauVdnY

The best example I can give is at 5:45. It happens some throughout, though.

Input gain levels were fine on the interface the whole time.

Signal chain:

Tele
Spectraflex Cable
AC30C2
SM57 (center)/ PG48 (cone)
Mackie Onyx Blackjack
Audacity
WMM

I noticed in Audacity that, most notably at the time stamp above, when one of the mics is muted (but the other is still on) the clipping/popping does not occur. At that time stamp you can hear it on every chord transient. The amp did not sound like that in the room. It is as if the audio drivers get overwhelmed? Or maybe Audacity gets overwhelmed. Maybe I am overwhelmed.

I hear it with AKG K240 Studio headphones, some small external speakers, and my laptop's built-in speakers. I have tried both the built-in 1/8'' port of the computer and the 1/4'' port on the interface. I am not sure where the problem actually is. I do know that Audacity and WMM are not professional programs but I am not trying to get too extensive of software right now. I would just like to know what is causing the clipping/popping and fix that individually.

Post production that I did to the tracks were a low cut around 80hz and Normalizing. I normalized everything up to the high gain stuff by itself. After the high gain I normalized that separately as well, both set at -1 db. I even put the gain down on the tracks a bit as well.

On Audacity the input host was set to WindowsDirectSound. I have used MME before and have encountered the same problems. There is also a Windows WASAPI driver that I have not used before. I have both Audacity and WMM set to 44100 Hz.

Any tips?
Well another suspect: Maybe the -1db normalizing is too much. Since both are at -1db, when it is just one the max I get is -1db. So I guess with both on it bumps up the overall output to clipping. Kind of like when you put another speaker in a system it only really gets about 3db louder? Just enough to make it clip though, I guess.

Any other thoughts?

EDIT: Yep that was it. I figured it out all by myself. I would delete this thread but I will leave it for documentation.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 9, 2016,