This is a primordial sound that has undoubtedly had its hand in permeating throughout what most people would recognize as Metal these days. Unfortunately "Evil" and "Spirited" and "dark" has been falsely connected solely to extremity, abrasiveness and out-doing each other. The origins of this sound was far more honest. Trapped by time but still alive deep in their chest, folk from across the globe found the fire of a torch far warming than the blue screens presented by their good, comfortable life. Teeth need something to ravish and idle hands wander and grope in the dark, at first blind but slowly growing more accustomed to the dark. Things started with a bang of Archfiends and Seraphim...

Undisputed King of SPIRITED/EVIL Heavy Metal...

Mercyful Fate

This is honestly where everything begins. The atmosphere, the theatrics, the music and composition are all laid bare here. It goes beyond the lyrics and that is very important. Lyrics does not make a spirit or atmosphere all on it's own! And this is why we are talking about Mercyful Fate first and foremost. The smoky altar of Melissa, the covenant presence in A Dangerous Meeting, the blood freezing strike of Gypsy... these and more are a product of musicianship and composition. It doesn't hurt to add the theatrics as well which really come alive on Don't Break The Oath.

WHAT MAKES IT SPIRITED/EVIL?

Well... everything? This is what we want out of this thread: Heavy Metal where evil and spirit is everywhere. Yes, Mercyful Fate has some BUTT BOOGY-able sounds to them, but it's the butt boogy of fiends in ecstasy. The guitars are able to play the part of slabs of earth, twinkling candles and bellowing demons all while avoiding overly "Rocking good times" vibes.

Cloven Hoof - Cloven Hoof

Just a hair below Mercyful Fate if you ask me. You might find the candles and fumes maaaay be toned down just a bit, but it's in lieu staunchly spitting on the cross with your huge cloven ballsack. Just listen to the first line of the first track. Much more physical opposition, less ghost. This is a good example of SPIRITED/EVIL touches that may wander to reality in the form of 1-2 songs. Very similar to our next torchbearer...

Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory

Continuing with the SOLDIERS OF HELL approach, things stay strong and honest. Strong and ballsy stuff. You might wonder, where are the candles from Mercyful Fate?

Stormwitch - Walpurgis Night

Same year as Gates to Purgatory, but where Gates brought us Fire and Strength, here we are greeted by the SPIRITS, CANDLES and CAVES of Mercyful Fate! Some of you know how much I love this album so I will keep it brief. This is how you do it boys.

Dark, Romantic, and Minimal. Just listen to how this was recorded! Brings you right up to the potent fire. Midpaced for the most part with a whole lot of focus on song writing over anything else. This album does not have the grandiosity of Mercyful Fate, more straightforward and rocking. But this manages to retain all the candles you could want. This is done by the RIFFS themselves. EVIL/SPIRITED riffs don't need have blastbeats or modern vocals?! Here is another example of such a sound...

Oz - Fire in the Brain

Specifically BLACK CANDLES. Listen to that song? You hear that sound? That is candle as fuck.

Deliverance - Evil Friendship

Hear that Morbid Angel in there? Maybe a little Limbonic Art? Some others? Yeah. You do. Dunno if I have seen these folks mentioned here.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Mar 9, 2016,
Powerlord - The Awakening

Almost made it in my original post but I goofed. Inches closer to the Thrash and maybe even Power side in some peoples book.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Instantly comes to mind: Tyrant - Too Late to Pray

For a Christian band, they sound like Abaddon opened its doors. Will expand when I get home from class.
Quote by severed-metal
Instantly comes to mind: Tyrant - Too Late to Pray

For a Christian band...

There lies another good subject: GOOD/POSITIVE Metal acts that don't blow.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Didnt know tyrant were Christian, epic band all the same. I wonder if Blessed Death - Into the Ovens is fit for this list?

I have to mention Black Hole - Land of Mystery, cult 80s Italian doom band which feels like the musical version of a Mario Bava film:

https://youtu.be/tlkPxq1BZaE
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
A little Paul Chain, a little Death SS, a little Dwarr...

MH I bet we could really dig each others movie collections.

Something I would hope to explore in this thread is SPIRITED/EVIL atmosphere and feels through the use of midpaced songwriting and Heavy Metal riffs. Like the "Call From The Grave" of Heavy/Traditional sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgpHlsnq5hE

Anyone else hear Blessed Are The Sick material here?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPej9mzvBvk
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Lucky I get off work early today because you are giving me a lot to get to know and revisit
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Whatever happened to old stuff like Legend? And how could you say spirited metal and leave out Manilla Road? The albums are like listening to a soundtrack for Conan tales
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
oh yea, manilla road is fuckin classic

i read a book once that reckoned this song predicted cliff burton's death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgAt-B_QjK4

the man we need for this thread is KEPULIX

Deliverance - Evil Friendship

Hear that Morbid Angel in there? Maybe a little Limbonic Art? Some others? Yeah. You do. Dunno if I have seen these folks mentioned here.

Deranged, depraved, masterful

Last edited by MHDrunk at Mar 9, 2016,
Quote by progbass
Whatever happened to old stuff like Legend? And how could you say spirited metal and leave out Manilla Road? The albums are like listening to a soundtrack for Conan tales

Nothing wrong with said projects, but the SPIRIT in SPIRITED for this thread was implying candles, caves and upside down crosses. Regardless, I sold my soul to Manilla Road before UG was even a thing.

Future Tense!
Raw, underdeveloped and primitive but SPIRITED BY SATAN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmocS6R8u5U

Go to hell!

Let's try a little SPIRITED Thrash!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-PU8lwYBtE
So Satan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3MNbwm-hZ4
So sick.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,