My truss rod is a bit bowed (goes inwards on the fretboard) and I don't know which way to turn it. I asked on a guitar board on another site but I figured I should ask here too. I read that turning it clockwise would help but when I did that I think it might've made it worse (I'm not sure, I also turned it the other way). I was freaked out but I think it should be fine, I just want to get rid of my fret buzz. Also in the picture I circled the part on the nut that freaked me the f out. I'm not sure if it's chipped or bent or if it's just nothing at all. Does that look like a problem or should it be fine? I put this neck on my strat to see if I liked it, it's what I was gonna use for my Jazzmaster. Anyway what's most important to me right now is knowing which way to turn it and how to fix this. Here's a link to a pic of it, thanks for any help

http://imgur.com/7mtbR2u
Sorry if the pictures aren't that great, I wasn't sure how to show how it's bowed so I just took a pic of both sides
Quote by kabadi.man
Trussrod is the same as any screw or bolt, clockwise tighteneds, anti clockwise loosens.
I would recommend you look at a few YouTube videos before doing anything to determine if you need to adjust it and what else you will need to do.

I was getting pretty some nasty fret buzz and read that turning it clockwise tightens it and ccw loosens it, but what I don't know is which way the neck bends when you tighten/loosen it. One page said that turning it cw would fix it so I just followed that
Most truss rods work like an ordinary screw, clockwise tighter, as noted. Tightening reduces the relief - less bow - and loosening increases it - more bow.

If you haven't altered the saddles, then fret buzz that wasn't there before suggests that you need to reduce the relief a bit. If you press the 6th string down at the 1st and heel frets, you should be able to see a bit of clearance between the string and the crown of the 5th fret. - About the thickness of a business card or just a little less.
Thanks. Is it easy to mess it up? That's what I was mostly worried about, I've never done this before but the bow was bothering me a bit. And does the nut look okay?
If you go carefully on the truss rod, a 1/4 turn at a time you should be OK. It is more about having confidence and a firm hand than technical skill.

Unfortunately, I can't tell from the pic how bad the nut problem is. If there is a crack that goes in under the string, it is in danger of breaking when you tune it.
Quote by Tony Done
If you go carefully on the truss rod, a 1/4 turn at a time you should be OK. It is more about having confidence and a firm hand than technical skill.

Unfortunately, I can't tell from the pic how bad the nut problem is. If there is a crack that goes in under the string, it is in danger of breaking when you tune it.

Thanks! As far as I can tell it's just a little chip or scratch so I'm not too worried anymore. I looked at it from the side and felt it and there's no indent so hopefully it's good
I tightened it a bit and it's still bowed a bit but there's no more buzz on the lower frets. There's still some on the higher ones but it should be fine for now. I might just have a luthier set it up and show me how it's done
Always make sure you use the correct allen hex wrench if it's not a Gibson/PRS to avoid stripping the channel!
Quote by cowboy_jones
I tightened it a bit and it's still bowed a bit but there's no more buzz on the lower frets. There's still some on the higher ones but it should be fine for now. I might just have a luthier set it up and show me how it's done

Buzz on high frets probably means that eventually down the road you may want to have fallaway added to the frets, typically from the 15th up. This provides greater string clearance as the strings vibrate at their peak in this region of the neck, thereby reducing buzz. What is your action?

I'm new here. So it's a pleasure to meet ya!
Last edited by julianjannetta at Mar 27, 2016,
For Trus rod, clockwise to tighten and counter clockwise to loosen.. or easier to remember tighty righty lefty loosey. I recommend slight relief or forward bow.. if you have fret buzz, you need to have the frets dressed and leveled for better playability. If you know how, you can do it yourself, if you are not familiar you can watch videos and do it yourself (need to buy tools) or have a guitar tech perform it.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by psp742
For Trus rod, clockwise to tighten and counter clockwise to loosen.. or easier to remember tighty righty lefty loosey. I recommend slight relief or forward bow.. if you have fret buzz, you need to have the frets dressed and leveled for better playability. If you know how, you can do it yourself, if you are not familiar you can watch videos and do it yourself (need to buy tools) or have a guitar tech perform it.

++++++1