Hi People.

Needing a little advice on playing a A CORD the problem is getting my 3 fingers within 1 fret my guitar is 650 MM Scale would I be better with a bigger scale guitar or what can I do ?? And where could I buy a cheap larger scale guitar. Thx
Quote by malinios
Hi People.

Needing a little advice on playing a A CORD the problem is getting my 3 fingers within 1 fret my guitar is 650 MM Scale would I be better with a bigger scale guitar or what can I do ?? And where could I buy a cheap larger scale guitar. Thx

The most common variation is to barre the strings with your index finger- see if this works.
BTW....It's "Chord". There are several ways to play that first-position "A". I always used two fingers, the index and the middle. The index covers two strings.

Some folks with flexible fingers can bend the index finger so that the first joint covers all the strings.
I have always played it by barreing 3 strings with my index finger. Most of the people I know who use 3 fingers only do it because they were taught that way. I don't see either way offering any distinct advantage in terms of transitioning to other chords (apart from maybe Am an Asus chords) so really it's just what feels most comfortable (unless you can't hear each string ring clearly when you barre). Practising a simple barre like this may also help when you move onto full barre chords such as an F.
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
A longer scale guitar won't help here too much.
Matriani has it right. Good advice, there.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I used to have trouble with this. What I found worked for me was carefully finding a grip (I use my index, middle, and ring fingers, freeing my pinkie to play notes on the high E) that allows all the notes to ring out, and then building up muscle memory for that very precise positioning. Same thing with barre chords, although those of course have the additional challenge of maintaining enough pressure on the barred portion of the chord.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
The way I was taught to play it might help because it lets your fingers fit into a tighter space. I put my first finger on the G-string, second finger crossed over to the D-string and third finger on the B-string like the usual 3-finger grip. Another benefit to this grip is it puts you in good position to switch to most of the other "cowboy chords".
The way I finger it depends on context. I can use three fingers on the same fret, no problem. I can't do that three-string barre, but a good option for the kind of things a play is 002255 or 002225. The first of those is an A5. They are done as a barre. Another option is 00222x as a barre that just damps the first string. It all depends on context, you don't have to be bound by the conventional way of doing things.

If you go for a longer scale, the trade-off is that long reaches become more difficult.