When I was in high school (16 years ago) I used to play guitar all the time. I never got very good but I enjoyed it to no end. I learned some of my favorite songs at the time, some scales and a handful of chords. Fast forward sixteen years later I'm wanting to pick it back up again.

The problem is that it feels like the "magic" is gone, picking up the guitar again feels overwhelming. To be honest even as someone who is familiar with the guitar I don't know where to start. I can still remember a few things but when I play its just...discouraging.

I can't afford lessons so I'm up against the same thing I was years ago. No direction. The brass tacks are...What should I start with? Warm ups? Scales? Chords? I love music and I wanna capture that feeling again.

Any advice or support would be excellent. Perhaps share what works/worked for you. I'd be glad to field any question you may have. Thank you all in advance. Thanks for reading the novel I just posted.

Rock on good people of UG.
Thank you to all,

My aim is to be well rounded, maybe even learn some theory so I can play in key and such. Truthfully I always thought it would be cool to be in a band. maybe even sing/play in the band. Not to toot my own horn but I really feel I have the charisma to do so. I'm just lacking some confidence and skill...With time right?
Theory is easier to learn once you play songs. Theory helps you describe what you're doing.

Once you figure out songs that you're interested in, play with a metronome.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Learn about the roman numerals (functional harmony) as you learn the songs, and how to improvise over those. Basically, learn about the key. That's the main thing.

That's the general gist of it. As far as the best step by step for you, and how to best do that in more specific terms, is more what you'd want a good teacher for, to analyze you, your strengths and weaknesses and show you stuff in logical order, as it pertains to songs you'd be interested in.
First thing is play a song

First thing about that; play each note, clearly, one at a time. No matter how slowly. That process is the most important part about playing guitar in my opinion. In doing that you can often find ways to improvise entirely new songs, that's the big payoff along with learning to play guitar.

Like this lesson for instance

http://acousticguitar.com/play-a-ragtime-blues-thumb-roll/

play the notes in sequence, you'll be better for doing so. Don't worry about the timing until you get the notes clear.
Last edited by farcry at Mar 11, 2016,
The "magic" will come again, don't worry. Revisit the things you were doing back then and each time you practice, add learn something new, no matter how small it is.

If you can't afford lessons I would suggest Justin Sandercoe's Beginner and Intermediate Methods. They're a very comprehensive guide to what you need to learn.
Awesome suggestions guys! Thank you all for the positive vibes and encouragement. I feel less overwhelmed already. I knew the song "south town" by P.O.D very well back "in the day". I guess I'll start there. Also, I'm thinking Green day's "wake me up when September ends" would be fun to learn as well. Guess all there is to do now is grab my Epi Les Paul and fire up the tone-blaster and rock this joint!

Have a great day UG community!
Quote by swaryas
Thank you to all,

My aim is to be well rounded, maybe even learn some theory so I can play in key and such.
Yes, but in order to do what? Play music, right?
So, start by playing some music. That's really the best way to learn all the other stuff. Playing songs teaches you which techniques and theories you need to know, and which you don't.
There's plenty of simple songs (perfectly good ones) that require very little technique, beyond being able to strum in time, and change between 2 or 3 chords reasonably competently. (That's the main skill you need to re-awaken.)
Quote by swaryas
Truthfully I always thought it would be cool to be in a band. maybe even sing/play in the band. Not to toot my own horn but I really feel I have the charisma to do so. I'm just lacking some confidence and skill...With time right?
Yes. If you feel you have sufficient charisma (what evidence do you have for that?) then I'd say you have more than enough confidence.
Of course, you don't need to play guitar at all to sing in a band. Question then is: can you sing? (Even today, that's still more important than charisma....)

I suggest getting out to some open mics, if you can find some, check out the level of skills on offer. Not to perform yourself, just yet, just to meet some like minds. You may find you're a lot closer to the requirements for public performance than you might think. It's never too early to network and jam with other people. That's how bands form.
Last edited by jongtr at Mar 11, 2016,
Quote by swaryas
Thank you to all,

My aim is to be well rounded, maybe even learn some theory so I can play in key and such. Truthfully I always thought it would be cool to be in a band. maybe even sing/play in the band. Not to toot my own horn but I really feel I have the charisma to do so. I'm just lacking some confidence and skill...With time right?

You're also lacking the ability to invest into your progress. Anyone that can't afford to do something to get better, has that in their way. A person who wants something, and can make sacrifices and investments into that thing, is usually in a better position when it comes to progressing. It's like any goal. A goal is just a dream until you have a means to get there. You could have any of those things....but you'd have to invest of yourself to get there.

Anyways, like the others said, start simple - find songs, and gradually work from there.

Best,

Sean
After reading the last few replies and doing a little soul searching I definitely have a solid jumping point. After many great suggestions and the excellent support of the UG community I'm ready to dive in There are some great points to ponder. I've realized that I do have some confidence especially after claiming that I have the charisma to perform. That statement is enough proof right there isn't it? Fake it till you make it perhaps?

As far as my singing ability goes I'm certainly not a professional but I'm not nails across a chalk board either. I've never sang with a band but spent countless hours in the car accompanying my favorite bands. In my honest opinion I'm a little flat/sharp here and there but mostly on point. I could definitely improve my vocal range (register?). That said with a little improvement I'd be satisfied with my skill level as a vocalist.

Thank you again people of the UG community. Rock on and have a great evening.
Sometimes I have too many songs in mind I don't know which song to START learning.
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

A teacher can be helpful for that, because they can know which songs teach you what, and so can show you in a logical order.

Too many good songs is a good problem to have though I guess.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Mar 16, 2016,
Quote by Sean0913
Try playing a song you enjoy.

Best,

Sean

Totally agree! You will get the joy back instantly. You can then start practicing some scale patterns based on the key of that song!