This was a guitar my parents gave me back in 2005 when i first started to learn how to play. I loved it at first but then moved to better guitars. Every time i enter my old room this guitar stares at me and i get sad because it reminds me of simpler more humble days.

So i was wondering what it would take to customize it and add maybe a nicer neck and better pickups and what else i can do to spruce it up so i can use it at a more "professional" level.

Any tips would help! This was a guitar my parents gave me back in 2005 when i first started to learn how to play. I loved it at first but then moved to better guitars. Every time i enter my old room this guitar stares at me and i get sad because it reminds me of simpler more humble days.

So i was wondering what it would take to customize it and add maybe a nicer neck and better pickups and what else i can do to spruce it up so i can use it at a more "professional" level.

Any tips would help!

Pics of how the guitar looks. The body is actually pretty sweet!

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/s--m5GjHwhG--/a_exif,c_limit,f_auto,fl_progressive,h_620,q_75,w_620/v1419668049/vwkifhrfhvjiiaqbxce5.jpg

http://www.musicgoround.com/ProductImages/0442322_0.jpeg?w=1080&h=1080&mode=crop
DONT TELL ME YOU NEVER LET THE LED OUT
My first guitar was a piece of junk but I learned to play on it so I have fond memories of it. I gave it away to kid down the street who asked me about learning to play. He played it for a few years and bought a better guitar and passed it on to someone else. I never knew where it ended up but I always felt good about it. Hopefully it went through many hands.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Thats very touching man. I wouldn't give mine away though i feel im too attached to it. I felt like a rock star when i got it. And now that im married and live on my own i see it and it reminds me of being a kid and learning how to play and discovering new music and stuff like that. Just wanna give it some love i havent played it in years!
I would start off with new control pots, cap(s), toggle switch and output jack. Upgrading those alone might bring the pickups to life, or not, depending on their quality and your desired outcome. A new nut and possibly tuners would be next on the list. Cheap plastic nuts can cause even a otherwise great guitar to be a PITA for tuning stability, so I've changed out the stock ones on all my import guitars with TUSQ replacements. Better tuners can also help in that area, again depending on the quality of the stock ones.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Yeha i want new tuners as well. But i want to change the neck just cause the headstock says first act and looks cheap lol the body is nice though
IF you are attached to the guitar for sentimental reasons then wouldn't changing the entire neck take away from that sentiment. I mean a new neck would help, but it would change the guitar. I know what you mean I still have my first guitar, granted its been modded and dismantled but I don't play it anymore and used it as a grounds for learning soldering and guitar up-keep and maintenance.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Yeah, just paint the headstock or sand it down. If the neck works, don't change it.
Also, keep in mind if you want to change the pickups you don't have to spend $200 on a set to improve things. There are a lot of options out there.

http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/Sets_c210.htm

Do it. I have a knock off strat that I've had since I started and it has been customized many times.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Upgrading the pickups, pots, and switch will make a huge difference in sound. If you want to experiment, you can always take out one of the tone pots and put in a mini toggle for coil splitting or parallel wiring.

I modded the hell out of my first guitar for the hell of it, it's a cheap knock off strat. Still needs work, but it looks and sounds much better now.
True ill just sand the neck down. Thanks everyone for the great ideas!
Look at guitarfetish.com. Those pickups would probably work, but would sound like garbage, it would be a step sideways. If you're looking for materials on the cheap that isn't junk, then guitar fetish is generally the place to go or at least a starting point.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13